Windows 10: Back up and restore to a new computer

Discus and support Back up and restore to a new computer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Good afternoon, I just purchased a new computer and would like to back up my present one and transfer it all to the new computer -- transferring as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PierreDINCELLI, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Back up and restore to a new computer

Good afternoon,

I just purchased a new computer and would like to back up my present one and transfer it all to the new computer -- transferring as much as I can, such as all files and folders, apps and programs if possible etc.

Can I use the back up (backing up on an external drive) and then restore via windows restore on the new computer?

Thank you for the assistance. If the above is not the best way, any suggestion (simple)?

Pierre

:)

PierreDINCELLI, Dec 13, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Back up and restore to a new computer [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Dec 13, 2019
  3. Rey Cam Win User
    Having trouble restoring from a windows 10 backup to a new computer

Hi Tim,

You can restore files from a backup from another computer by following the steps below:

• Select the Start button, then select Control Panel >
      System and Maintenance > Backup and Restore.
    • Choose Select another backup to restore files from, and then follow the steps in the wizard. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

This files will be restored in a folder having the "Username" of the one who created the file. To find the restored files:

• Select the Start button, then select Computer.
    • Double-click the icon of the drive that the files are saved on, for example
      C:\.
    • Double-click the Users folder. You will see a folder for each user account.
    • Double-click the folder for the user name that was used to create the backup. The restored files will be in the various folders based on where they were located originally.

After performing the steps, kindly share with us the result.

Rey Cam, Dec 13, 2019
  4. Back up and restore to a new computer

System Restore Error 0x81000203

Good day,

We can see here that you are having issues performing system restore on your computer. Having said that, we need to determine the cause of this problem. Before we proceed, may we know the following:

• Any changes made on the computer prior to this concern?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Are you getting any error messages when trying to perform system restore? If so, can you send us a screenshot?
      Note: Please do not include any personal information.
    • Have you performed all the suggested troubleshooting steps found on this thread?

Desiree Yau, Dec 13, 2019
Thema:

Back up and restore to a new computer

1. Back up and restore to a new computer - Similar Threads - restore computer

2. Computer BSOD on returning to a restore point

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer BSOD on returning to a restore point: Hello I recently did a system restore from the recovery environment and everything broke. I cant even run a SFC /scannow or click reset this PC. I have another recovery thumb drive that has a live OS of that helps, so I have file access. The errors code im getting is critical...
  3. My computer is currently stuck on "Restoring your previous version of Windows." It keeps...

My computer is currently stuck on "Restoring your previous version of Windows." It keeps...: I'm in a bit of a pickle. I left my computer alone for a while only to come back and find it start automatically updating. It got stuck at 30% so I restarted it, which was probably not a good choice. My computer has an issue where whenever I restart it, it WILL get stuck on...
  4. how to restore windows with another computer using a usb cable

how to restore windows with another computer using a usb cable: okay so i ha a toshiba encore thing and i cant use i because i updated it, i think the updates were hardware stuff, but idk how that would work, but that update made the touch screen not work, so pls help me, i can open it but cant, so im using my other windows 10 computer...
  5. Two questions...Restoring Windows 10 vs unregistering the installation on the computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Two questions...Restoring Windows 10 vs unregistering the installation on the computer: I have a dilemma. I just updated an older ASUS i3 computer that had not been updated for a few years. It took a while, after running into errors, because I was running an unsupported, older version of windows. I reinstalled Windows 10 from USB to get past the errors. Long...
  6. Restoring computer

Restoring computer: I have a dell XPs 8700 desktop computer windows 8, so I went to windows 10 and that just gave me more problems. Windows update and so did my virus protection and shut down before windows got done, was was in a pickle windows 10 did not work so I had to go to safe mode to get...
  7. Computer run slow after system restore and delete update

Computer run slow after system restore and delete update: Hi, Before this problem occurs, my computer is having an issue so I restore and delete updates. And when everything seems to turn normal again. I noticed my computer is running slower than usual. I tried to use the command prompt "sfc /scannow" but no problem detected....
  8. My ISO to restore my computer is not showing up in the “Re-image your computer”

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My ISO to restore my computer is not showing up in the “Re-image your computer”: So my computer is stuck in Automatic Repair and I tried everything and now the last option is to restore it with a System Image File. I got a .iso of Windows 10 from their website with a key and I have had it on a USB for a while now. And when I plug the USB in and have it...
  9. Windows 10 was hacked on my home computer. Need help restoring my missing programs.

Windows 10 was hacked on my home computer. Need help restoring my missing programs.: I'm an 81 yr old veteran, who recently received a message on my computer saying that Windows 10 had been hacked. I've been trying to restore my computer, but have been unsuccessful. The only programs I have working are MS Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Excel, Word, & Quicken. These...
  10. i have some apps that i purchesd like micro 365 but cant find after computer restore

i have some apps that i purchesd like micro 365 but cant find after computer restore: that must be a preview above of my question * Moved from Community Participation Center * OS assumed to be Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-some-apps-that-i-purchesd-like-micro-365/a5797a35-3974-4f0f-b382-bfd56334e832