Windows 10: Back up drive

Discus and support Back up drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I bought a KESU-2518 external hard drive for the purpose of moving files from my MacBook pro to my new dell XPS 13 runs windows 10. It is supposed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by htullett, Jul 19, 2020.

1. htullett Win User

Back up drive

Hi, I bought a KESU-2518 external hard drive for the purpose of moving files from my MacBook pro to my new dell XPS 13 runs windows 10. It is supposed to be compatible with both mac and windows uses EXFAT format. I didn't have any problems moving files on to it from my mac. However when I plug it into the dell laptop, although it shows up in 'devices' it is not present in file explorer and I can't open the drive to move files across. Would be grateful for some help with this.

:)

htullett, Jul 19, 2020

2. File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Jul 19, 2020
  3. ex_reven Win User
    RAID, Backing Up, Questions etc

Ok, Ive done a search for RAID related articles on the forums and Ive read through them.
    I'd like to RAID my hard drives very soon.

This is what I have:
    1x Seagate 7200.10 Perpendicular - 320Gb
    1x Seagate 7200.10 Perpendicular - 250Gb

Id like to set them up in a RAID 0 configuration.
    Ive backed up my Music, downloads, main applications and photos.
    Basically Im ready to go though the steps to RAID my drives and reinstall windows.

Now...I have some concerns

1) Do I format the drives? Or will formatting occur during the setting up of the RAID?

2) How to actually configure the RAID. So if I was to do this now, what are the steps I would have to follow to setup the RAID correctly? I know them vaguely, like having the RAID drivers ready on a CD/Floppy and booting and hitting F6. What else is there?

3) Striping size. Ive heard that a higher stripe size is good for moving/using large files. Ill definately be doing this (Photoshop) so can anyone suggest a stripe size?

4) Can anyone suggest any other concerns?

ex_reven, Jul 19, 2020
  4. Back up drive

Backing up a ps3?

Go to 'My Computer'
    http://img.techpowerup.org/110127/Capture035.jpg

Right click the drive
    http://img.techpowerup.org/110127/Capture036.jpg

No drive A will not be already in fat32.
    Unsure what you mean? Read 5. Allow PS3 to format drive B. While this is taking place see Step 6.

Also see above, I revised a step.

That is correct.

@mods

No don't adjust your eyes, he did not double post. I was doing major editing and deleting of my own posts. *Smile Back up drive :)

JrRacinFan, Jul 19, 2020
Thema:

Back up drive

1. Back up drive - Similar Threads - drive

2. How can I access and use my disk drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I access and use my disk drive?: For context my disk drive was somehow already formatted and partitioned. I have tried deleting the partition but all of the options for my disk are greyed out, also all of my attempts to manually fix it using CMD to delete the partition have failed. All I want is to use the...
  3. How can I access and use my disk drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I access and use my disk drive?: For context my disk drive was somehow already formatted and partitioned. I have tried deleting the partition but all of the options for my disk are greyed out, also all of my attempts to manually fix it using CMD to delete the partition have failed. All I want is to use the...
  4. How can I access and use my disk drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can I recombine separate boot and system partitions back into one bootable system drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I recombine separate boot and system partitions back into one bootable system drive?: I am trying to turn an old 32bit Vista system into a Virtual Computer to run on my new Win11 PC in Hyper-V. However, the virtual machine boots to a BSOD. The old system had Acronis True Image installed now uninstalled, and it appears to have moved the boot portion of the...
  6. Can I recombine separate boot and system partitions back into one bootable system drive?

Can I recombine separate boot and system partitions back into one bootable system drive?: I am trying to turn an old 32bit Vista system into a Virtual Computer to run on my new Win11 PC in Hyper-V. However, the virtual machine boots to a BSOD. The old system had Acronis True Image installed now uninstalled, and it appears to have moved the boot portion of the...
  7. one drive sign in isn't possible i dont know why

in Windows 10 Gaming
    one drive sign in isn't possible i dont know why: Correlation Id: 8114636c-df74-46a6-94ac-92c81795c600Timestamp: 2024-04-25T20:40:15.000ZDPTI: 19d2c5aab8c2582f3c802a9532b56e66e1b2569c607143519404cde8f8fdd2abError Tag: 7q6caError Code: -2147023174...
  8. one drive sign in isn't possible i dont know why

one drive sign in isn't possible i dont know why: Correlation Id: 8114636c-df74-46a6-94ac-92c81795c600Timestamp: 2024-04-25T20:40:15.000ZDPTI: 19d2c5aab8c2582f3c802a9532b56e66e1b2569c607143519404cde8f8fdd2abError Tag: 7q6caError Code: -2147023174...
  9. Win10 hard drive going into green screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 hard drive going into green screen: So I had a malware infection last night. I ran a few suggested apps, and was able to get my pc back up and running. But when I booted the PC this morning, it went to the dreaded green screen. Now it won't boot, boot repair isn't working does it ever?, and there is no option...
  10. Win10 hard drive going into green screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 hard drive going into green screen: So I had a malware infection last night. I ran a few suggested apps, and was able to get my pc back up and running. But when I booted the PC this morning, it went to the dreaded green screen. Now it won't boot, boot repair isn't working does it ever?, and there is no option...