Windows 10: Back up drive

Discus and support Back up drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I bought a KESU-2518 external hard drive for the purpose of moving files from my MacBook pro to my new dell XPS 13 runs windows 10. It is supposed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by htullett, Jul 19, 2020.

1. htullett Win User

Back up drive

Hi, I bought a KESU-2518 external hard drive for the purpose of moving files from my MacBook pro to my new dell XPS 13 runs windows 10. It is supposed to be compatible with both mac and windows uses EXFAT format. I didn't have any problems moving files on to it from my mac. However when I plug it into the dell laptop, although it shows up in 'devices' it is not present in file explorer and I can't open the drive to move files across. Would be grateful for some help with this.

:)

htullett, Jul 19, 2020

2. File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Jul 19, 2020
  3. ex_reven Win User
    RAID, Backing Up, Questions etc

Ok, Ive done a search for RAID related articles on the forums and Ive read through them.
    I'd like to RAID my hard drives very soon.

This is what I have:
    1x Seagate 7200.10 Perpendicular - 320Gb
    1x Seagate 7200.10 Perpendicular - 250Gb

Id like to set them up in a RAID 0 configuration.
    Ive backed up my Music, downloads, main applications and photos.
    Basically Im ready to go though the steps to RAID my drives and reinstall windows.

Now...I have some concerns

1) Do I format the drives? Or will formatting occur during the setting up of the RAID?

2) How to actually configure the RAID. So if I was to do this now, what are the steps I would have to follow to setup the RAID correctly? I know them vaguely, like having the RAID drivers ready on a CD/Floppy and booting and hitting F6. What else is there?

3) Striping size. Ive heard that a higher stripe size is good for moving/using large files. Ill definately be doing this (Photoshop) so can anyone suggest a stripe size?

4) Can anyone suggest any other concerns?

ex_reven, Jul 19, 2020
  4. Back up drive

Backing up a ps3?

Go to 'My Computer'
    http://img.techpowerup.org/110127/Capture035.jpg

Right click the drive
    http://img.techpowerup.org/110127/Capture036.jpg

No drive A will not be already in fat32.
    Unsure what you mean? Read 5. Allow PS3 to format drive B. While this is taking place see Step 6.

Also see above, I revised a step.

That is correct.

@mods

No don't adjust your eyes, he did not double post. I was doing major editing and deleting of my own posts. *Smile Back up drive :)

JrRacinFan, Jul 19, 2020
Thema:

Back up drive

1. Back up drive - Similar Threads - drive

2. Can I fix my PC by installing windows on a 2nd drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can I fix my PC by installing windows on a 2nd drive?: Last week I got a critical_process_died boot error loop on my pc, and every solution ive tried hasn't worked. The only option left I wanted to try was resetting/reinstalling Windows, but it wont let me do that either. I have a 1tb SSD and a 2tb hard drive. My SSD contains the...
  3. Undoing the installing and upgrade of Windows 10 with an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Undoing the installing and upgrade of Windows 10 with an external hard drive: So I thought I should update my old Windows 10 computer before I used some heavy applications on it. I didn't have the disk space on the internal hard drive for the update so I used an external hard drive. While the update was happening it was suck on 0% in terms of updating...
  4. Directing data to a second drive ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Directing data to a second drive ?: To direct data to a second drive I thought you opened File Explorer > This PC > then right clicked (for example) Music > Properties and changed the Location. However I can also open File Explorer > This PC > then left click Documents which displays Music along with other the...
  5. windows 10 home does not like me to remove portable hard drives etc

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows 10 home does not like me to remove portable hard drives etc: I plug in the drive or thumb drive to the usb thing of course. use the drive finish with it. all windows closed. click to remove the drive and it always saying something is still using the drive. i have to power down to remove it. any ideas? thanks 183306
  6. Scanning and repairing drive stuck at 100% during startup for hours

Scanning and repairing drive stuck at 100% during startup for hours: Here's a picture-It stays like this for an hour or 2 until i can finally get into my computer. But thats not it, my computer also runs at terribly slow speed, i managed to open task manager and saw my disk usage was skyrocketing at 100% all the time for no reason, it didnt...
  7. My D Drive disappeared after an Update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My D Drive disappeared after an Update: Hello, Please suggest me solution regarding the issue I am facing with my Laptop. all of a sudden my D Drive got disappearedplease help with proper solution. my laptop got the new update and after update I am facing this issue....
  8. 94% of my C drive is made of Temp Internet Files huh?

94% of my C drive is made of Temp Internet Files huh?: Dude, what is happening... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/94-of-my-c-drive-is-made-of-temp-internet-files/db1d1e6e-f906-48a2-8a51-de306d0dc88b
  9. Recovery Drive: Can't Create

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Recovery Drive: Can't Create: Hi I am trying to create a recovery drive for my laptop. I received the laptop from a family member so I don't know if the recovery files, which I believe to be on one of the hard drives, are still there or not. I have run the Recovery Drive app and have followed all of its...
  10. Windows 10 Bitlocker popup doesnt appear for data drive after closing first time.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Bitlocker popup doesnt appear for data drive after closing first time.: Hi I have seen this problem for maybe 1 year. It is a pretty annoying bug, so I am mentioning it.I have a bitlocker'ed data drive that requires a password to unlock each reboot. If I click on the drive, It brings up the password popup. But sometimes I might click away from...