Windows 10: Back up files renamed with a number and UTC time stamp

Discus and support Back up files renamed with a number and UTC time stamp in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi,Just like the title mentions it, my files were renamed and they now have an UTC with a time stamp on them. Because of that, programs can't find... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Namethename2021, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Back up files renamed with a number and UTC time stamp

Hi,Just like the title mentions it, my files were renamed and they now have an UTC with a time stamp on them. Because of that, programs can't find them. I obviously can't rename all them one by one because of the large number of files. Someone had an issue similar in 2016 and they wrote: "Recently did a Win 10 anniversary ed. install. Backup files on external hard drive lost their original filenames. Ditto for folders. Folder name is 3 digits, e.g., 707 or 828. Filenames begin with three digit number followed by UTC time stamp in parentheses, for example 139 2016_08_10 20_14_08 UTC or22

:)

Namethename2021, Jul 21, 2021
  2. TuckerCox Win User

Back up files renamed with a number and UTC time stamp after Win 10 Anniversary edition install

Recently did a Win 10 anniversary ed. install. Backup files on external hard drive lost their original filenames. Ditto for folders. Folder name is 3 digits, e.g., 707 or 828. Filenames begin with three digit number followed by UTC time stamp in parentheses,
    for example

139 (2016_08_10 20_14_08 UTC) or

225 (2016_08_10 20_14_08 UTC) or

1298 (2016_08_10 20_14_08 UTC)

Any way i can restore the original filenames? Otherwise, i have to view each file and give it a new name, all 700 of them!!

Ahhh!! Life in the gizmo world.

Thanks in advance. Tuck

TuckerCox, Jul 21, 2021
  3. C6-01 Symbian Anna Date Time Stamps in UTC, not local time

After recording audio clips or taking pictures, the date time stamp on the files are UTC time, not local time. This is different than the prior firmware and is a defect. I reported this to Nokia.

musiclvr---01, Jul 21, 2021
  4. Back up files renamed with a number and UTC time stamp

Back up files renamed with a number and UTC time stamp after Win 10 Anniversary edition install

Hi Tucker,

From the above description, I understand the files/folders names in the external backup hard drive have changed to time stamp and number format after installing Windows 10 Anniversary update on the computer.

Before we assist further, I would like to ask you a few questions:

• When did you install Windows 10 Anniversary update on the computer?
    • Have the changes reflected only on external hard drive files and folders?
    • Did you check if similar change is reflected on internal drive files & folders?

Method 1: Run the antivirus security software installed on the computer to check if the issue is caused due to presence of virus/malware content on the computer.

Method 2:
    Run SFC scan and DISM scan by following the steps below and check if the issue is caused due to any of the missing or corrupted system files and folders on the computer.

SFC scan is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. If a
    Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected. For example, some Windows functions may not work, or Windows may crash.

Windows corruption errors may prevent Windows updates and service packs from installing. For example, an update might not install if a system file is damaged. The
    DISM scan or System Update Readiness tool may help you to fix some Windows corruption errors.

Step 1: Open an Administrator command prompt
    window by

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Command Prompt (Admin) option.
    • Click on Yes and continue. Provide administrator password if prompted.
    • Check if it says Administrator: Command Prompt at the top of the command prompt window.

Step 2: Type the following commands in the
    CMD Prompt:

Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

Step 3: Close the command window and check if the issue is resolved.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of external hard drive files & folders name changed to time and number format after installing Windows 10 Anniversary update on the computer in the same post for
    further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jul 21, 2021
Thema:

Back up files renamed with a number and UTC time stamp

1. Back up files renamed with a number and UTC time stamp - Similar Threads - files renamed number

2. How to stop Windows from creating the annoying UTC time stamp on File names when I back up...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to stop Windows from creating the annoying UTC time stamp on File names when I back up...: When I do a back up to my external hard drive, Windows tiome stamps filenames with a UTC date in Parentheses. These are d\istracting when looking for files, How do I prevent Windows from UTC time stamp on the file name?This just started happening about a month ago. Never had...
  3. How to stop Windows from creating the annoying UTC time stamp on File names when I back up...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop Windows from creating the annoying UTC time stamp on File names when I back up...: When I do a back up to my external hard drive, Windows tiome stamps filenames with a UTC date in Parentheses. These are d\istracting when looking for files, How do I prevent Windows from UTC time stamp on the file name?This just started happening about a month ago. Never had...
  4. How to stop Windows from creating the annoying UTC time stamp on File names when I back up...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. time stamp in jpg picture files

time stamp in jpg picture files: "Windows Photo Gallery" allowed the time in "date taken" to be modified. Unfortunately, Windows Photo Gallery hasn't been available since 2017. "Windows Photos" is the replacement for Windows Photo Gallery, but Windows Photos doesn't have the capability to change the time...
  6. About time stamps

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    About time stamps: KB4550945 HotFix fixes a bug with the time stamp. Does KB4552152 or KB4556799 fix the time stamp issue? I'd like to confirm with the Log, but the new patch KB4556799 has begun to be applied, and KB4550945 is no longer displayed....
  7. UTC files

UTC files: I din't always have my back up external hard drive plugged into my laptop. So what seems to be happening is File History UTC files are being saved to my C drive documents folder. As a result any given file can have three or so UTC duplicate backups all with different dates....
  8. UTC Time: Displaying UTC Time On Bottom (Task ?) Bar ?

in Windows 10 Support
    UTC Time: Displaying UTC Time On Bottom (Task ?) Bar ?: Hello, I give up after spending close to an hour with the built in W10 time setting screens. I want UTC to display on the bottom (task bar ?). It just won't display; I can set it on the W10 screens for time and date, but it doesn't carry over to the bottom bar on the...
  9. Date/Time Stamp

in Windows 10 Customization
    Date/Time Stamp: How to add the current date and time on any Windows 10 document and program (that allows entering data), i.e., stamping the current date and time into whatever program I am using. Thank you....
  10. Ideas for preserving time stamps of backed-up files?

in Windows 10 Support
    Ideas for preserving time stamps of backed-up files?: So, one of my primary backup solutions is CrashPlan, but it doesn't preserve the creation times or files after you restore them. Does anyone have any ideas in regard to software that could possibly back up time stamps in a separate database, which you could then apply to...