Windows 10: Back up hard drive to flash drive, replace hard drive, reinstall contents on new hard...

Discus and support Back up hard drive to flash drive, replace hard drive, reinstall contents on new hard... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Please advise how I can replace the hard drive. I would back up the contents to a flash drive in the USB port, follow instructions in the manual to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ready To Go 343, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Back up hard drive to flash drive, replace hard drive, reinstall contents on new hard...

Please advise how I can replace the hard drive. I would back up the contents to a flash drive in the USB port, follow instructions in the manual to remove and replace the hard drive, reinstall,

:)

Ready To Go 343, Oct 13, 2018

2. Windows 10, Occasional Error, No Hard Drive, after Hard Drive Replacement

Hi,

System corruption can cause issues detecting your computer's hard drive. For us to properly investigate on your concern, we'd like to confirm the following information:

• On which cases do you receive the startup error?
    • Aside from replacing the hard drive, have you made any significant changes to your device prior to this happening?
    • Have you tried plugging in the replaced hard drive to another computer to check if the same thing occurs?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We will be waiting for your reply so we can move forward to resolving your query.

Dhavelyn Mer, Oct 13, 2018
  3. spivey70 Win User
    Replacing a hard drive on a new computer

My computer just died and i found a new replacement with a 1TB hard drive at a great price but I need more space and don't want to use an external drive. Is it possible to replace the hard drive with a new one with more space right out of the box without
    having to buy a new copy of windows?

spivey70, Oct 13, 2018
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Back up hard drive to flash drive, replace hard drive, reinstall contents on new hard...

hard drive

Hi Thomas,

You have 2 options - Option 2 is the best option!

Clone your old hard drive onto the new drive

Your new hard drive must be at least as big as the one with Windows 10 on it

You will have to use 3rd party software to clone your Data onto the new hard drive

Honestly, this method does have some issues

Copy your files from your current drive onto a flash drive

Remove the old hard drive and connect the new hard drive

Clean install Windows 10 onto the new hard drive

Reinstall your applications onto the new hard drive

Copy your files back onto the new hard drive

You can reinstall Windows 10 at any time and it will not cost you anything !

Since you previously had Windows 10 installed and activated on that PC during the installation process skip the steps which ask for a product key and select the option 'I am Reinstalling Windows 10 on this PC', and activation will not be an issue, your PC will
    have a digital entitlement stored on the Microsoft Activation Servers

Make sure you install the same Edition of Windows 10 (Home, Pro . . . etc.) you previously had installed to avoid Activation issues

Click this link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-downlo...

to download the Media Creation Tool (Click on Download Tool Now), with that you can download the latest Windows 10 ISO (Select Create Installation Media for Another PC), you can create a bootable USB flash drive (min 8GB) using that tool

Then, Boot your PC from the Installation Media you just created (change Boot Order in your BIOS) to begin installing Windows 10

DaveM121, Oct 13, 2018
Thema:

Back up hard drive to flash drive, replace hard drive, reinstall contents on new hard...

1. Back up hard drive to flash drive, replace hard drive, reinstall contents on new hard... - Similar Threads - hard drive flash

2. replacing Hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    replacing Hard drive: I bought a computer a while ago with the OS on a 200gb SSD. We've had nothing but troubles with space. I want to get a bigger SSD to salvage the PC, but I'm not sure how to move the OS over. A lot of forums/threads I've read seem risky, and the methods all seem varied. Anyone...
  3. replacing Hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    replacing Hard drive: I bought a computer a while ago with the OS on a 200gb SSD. We've had nothing but troubles with space. I want to get a bigger SSD to salvage the PC, but I'm not sure how to move the OS over. A lot of forums/threads I've read seem risky, and the methods all seem varied. Anyone...
  4. replacing Hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Hard drive replacement

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive replacement: The Dell OptiPlex 3050 AIO with a 4GB RAM that I use has been slow. As I type this message, with just Firefox in use, the 84% of the memory is used according the the Processes screen. In fact last week, the system stopped and the blue screen appeared with a message 'Memory...
  6. Replacing the Hard drive

Replacing the Hard drive: I have a Toshiba laptop with 300 GB hard driver. I want to replace the hard drive with 1 TB. what is the simplest way to replace without disturbing my drivers and installed software?...
  7. Hard drive replace

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive replace: I had a corrupt Hard drive and sent my laptop off to be fixed. They have replace the failed hard drive and update the operating system. I have now lost everything, photos, documents etc. not that great with tech through some research I'm guessing everything was saved on my...
  8. back up my hard drive to an external hard drive

back up my hard drive to an external hard drive: backing up my hard drive to external drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-up-my-hard-drive-to-an-external-hard-drive/322809a8-5ac9-408c-998d-8a2ecdcd1906
  9. Replacing hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Replacing hard drive: Hey guys! So recently my hard drive crashed and I can not get into my computer. My question is if I get a new hard drive, looking at a portable option for 50 bucks, how do I install Windows 10 on this new drive. I have never done this before and all help is appreciated!...
  10. Hard drive replacement

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive replacement: Hello everyone, I am shopping for a new PC from HP. I am thinking ahead of time so that I can be ready for when this happens. I know that over time hard drives begin to slow down and then eventually stop working. So in the future, what will happen when I replace the hard...