Windows 10: Back-up of C-Drive: question on various files needed or not needed

Discus and support Back-up of C-Drive: question on various files needed or not needed in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, BACKGROUND Have an automated nightly back-up system, for my Dell Desktop, transferring files to a Western Digital External Hard Drive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Gary_S_1943, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Back-up of C-Drive: question on various files needed or not needed

Hello,

BACKGROUND

Have an automated nightly back-up system, for my Dell Desktop, transferring files to a Western Digital External Hard Drive.

Backups of my User Data are executing perfectly, for many months. These backups consist of the Desktop, my Contacts, my Documents, Favorites, etc.

A Thumb-drive has been created, for a Windows/10 re-boot. The Community provided valuable assistance on this.

THE ISSUE

The C-drive has lots of OTHER files & folders that I'm NOT backing up, such as: %SysReset; $Windows - BT; $Windows - WS; Dell PC; Program Files; Program Files (x86); Program data

Should I ADD some/all of these other files to my nightly backup ?

Thanks for any assistance or guidance,

Gary

:)

Gary_S_1943, Mar 27, 2019

2. Unallocated Space to C Drive

Thanks

realtravisbrown92, Mar 27, 2019
  3. Windows 6.1 Files in C Drive

Hi Terry,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Sorry to know that you are facing this issue.

To free up your computer’s hard drive disk space, Microsoft Windows 10 has a maintenance utility which is termed as Disk Cleanup. This utility will inspect your computer’s hard drive to remove unwanted files (which are no longer used) and eliminate
    those particular files. Disk Cleanup blanks the Recycle Bin, removes temporary files moreover system files along with the ones that are not being in use by users.

Follow these steps:

• Press Windows key + R to get the run window.

• Type “cleanmgr” on the text field and click Ok.
    If you have many drive partitions on your computer then select Windows C drive or the drive that you wish to clean using the drop down menu of the Disk Cleanup Drive Selection. Follow the on-screen directions to complete the process. Once this
    is done restart the computer.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Mar 27, 2019
  4. Ruz San Win User

Back-up of C-Drive: question on various files needed or not needed

Unallocated Space to C Drive

Hi Travis,

It appears that a disk partition was created but was never assigned its allocation. Assuming there are no files stored in the unallocated partition, perform these steps to combine it with your C: drive:

• In Disk Management, right-click on (CBack-up of C-Drive:  question on various files needed or not needed :) which appears next to the
      Unallocated partition.
    • Select Extend.

Let us know if you're able to combine the spaces after following the steps above.

Regards.

Ruz San, Mar 27, 2019
Thema:

Back-up of C-Drive: question on various files needed or not needed

1. Back-up of C-Drive: question on various files needed or not needed - Similar Threads - Drive question various

2. Need more space on the C: drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need more space on the C: drive: I have allot of free disk space on my D: drive but none on my C: drive. I cannot extend the C: volume. How can I free up disk space? I moved all that I could to the D: drive already. I have a HP Windows 10 system....
  3. Need more space on the C: drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need more space on the C: drive: I have allot of free disk space on my D: drive but none on my C: drive. I cannot extend the C: volume. How can I free up disk space? I moved all that I could to the D: drive already. I have a HP Windows 10 system....
  4. My C: Drive is Filling Up Fast!! NEED HELP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My C: Drive is Filling Up Fast!! NEED HELP: Hi!I've already posted about this, but didn't get a follow up Issue: My laptop's Win 10 OS C: drive fills up very fast. I've tried almost everything like:1 Using cleaning software2 Deleting temp, prefetch and cache files3 Disabling Windows updates4 Allocating more space to...
  5. My C: Drive is Filling Up Fast!! NEED HELP

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My C: Drive is Filling Up Fast!! NEED HELP: Hi!I've already posted about this, but didn't get a follow up Issue: My laptop's Win 10 OS C: drive fills up very fast. I've tried almost everything like:1 Using cleaning software2 Deleting temp, prefetch and cache files3 Disabling Windows updates4 Allocating more space to...
  6. My C: Drive is Filling Up Fast!! NEED HELP

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Need advice on replacing C Drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Need advice on replacing C Drive: My PC has two drives a C (240GB) and D (2TB). I tried to set up the PC so that the C drive only contained Windows and applications and the D Drive only contained data. I obviously did not configure this correctly as my C Drive is reporting 3.15 GB Free of 237GB. I had a WD...
  8. Space needed on C drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Space needed on C drive?: Question about Onedrive. When I try to add my photos 65 GB to my backups the "Start Backup" button is greyed out. Message in red says: "Space required on your C:\drive 70.8 GB' I don't have 70.8 GB available. Why does it need space on my C: drive?...
  9. File History only backs up Users Folder. I need to backup the C drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History only backs up Users Folder. I need to backup the C drive.: How can I use file history to back up my C drive to my D drive? I have two 2tb drives. One, C, is for working, the other, D, is to backup C. Several people work on this machine. There are various user accounts, some shared, some for a single person. We created folders on...
  10. Need help with decompressing c drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Need help with decompressing c drive: I was running disk cleaner on w10 and checked compress your os drive accidently. I tried decompress through c drive property option but everytime when trying to decompress i get error saying c:/swapfiles.sys is being used by another process. Ive tried restarting pc but same...