Windows 10: Back Up

Discus and support Back Up in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; In Windows 7, I used the scheduled back-up built into Windows 7. Given it is my first time to use the built-in back-up of Windows 10, here are my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Hey there MSSW, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Back Up

In Windows 7, I used the scheduled back-up built into Windows 7.

Given it is my first time to use the built-in back-up of Windows 10, here are my questions:

1. I want to take advantage of Windows 10 real-time back-up function. I am assuming File History is Windows 10 real time back up. Given it is my first time, should I do a scheduled back-up first as I have been doing in Windows 7 before doing the real-time back-up going forward or do the real-time back-up right away and skip the scheduled back-up.

2. Going forward, what is the best frequency for real-time back-up among the options available, i.e., every hour, 10 minutes, 15 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes.?

3. Re: First Time File History Run - how does one know it is still running; there does not seem to be an indicator and when I went to Task Manager, Processes I do not see it.

4. Re: First Time File History Run - how does one know it has finished; there does not seem to be an indicator.

5. How will I easily know if space is needed in the back-up without getting surprised at the moment space is not enough and without having to keep on checking about space? I know there is the option of “Until space is needed” under “Keep my backups”. But am worried it will not do a complete back-up of entire C drive or that it will back-up only whatever can fit the back-up drive

Thank you in advance.

:)

Hey there MSSW, Jul 1, 2020
  2. Xylee Del Win User

Back-up error code 0x8100002F

We want to know more information about this issue, kindly answer the follow for clarification:

• Which location are you backing up your files?
    • Have you tried renaming the folder that can't be moved?
    • Have you tried creating a new folder and transfer the files on it before performing a back up?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you check if C: has some bad sectors. Kindly follow the steps below to verify this:

• Right click at the Windows icon and select Command Prompt (Administrator).
    • Type in chkdsk /R C: and press Enter. This will schedule a disk check during next reboot.
    • Reboot your computer.
    • Re-run backup.

Kindly get back to us with the answer and results.

Xylee Del, Jul 1, 2020
  3. ex_reven Win User
    RAID, Backing Up, Questions etc

Ok, Ive done a search for RAID related articles on the forums and Ive read through them.
    I'd like to RAID my hard drives very soon.

This is what I have:
    1x Seagate 7200.10 Perpendicular - 320Gb
    1x Seagate 7200.10 Perpendicular - 250Gb

Id like to set them up in a RAID 0 configuration.
    Ive backed up my Music, downloads, main applications and photos.
    Basically Im ready to go though the steps to RAID my drives and reinstall windows.

Now...I have some concerns

1) Do I format the drives? Or will formatting occur during the setting up of the RAID?

2) How to actually configure the RAID. So if I was to do this now, what are the steps I would have to follow to setup the RAID correctly? I know them vaguely, like having the RAID drivers ready on a CD/Floppy and booting and hitting F6. What else is there?

3) Striping size. Ive heard that a higher stripe size is good for moving/using large files. Ill definately be doing this (Photoshop) so can anyone suggest a stripe size?

4) Can anyone suggest any other concerns?

ex_reven, Jul 1, 2020
  4. Back Up

Back up problems

Hello Edward,

To better assist you, we'd like to know if you're getting an error message when you back up your data and create a restore point in your PC?

In the mean time, we suggest you follow the troubleshooting steps provided on the links below:

We look forward to your response.

Thank you.

Kenneth Mon, Jul 1, 2020
Thema:

Back Up