Windows 10: Background photos remain after Reset and Remove everything - Need to fully clean drive

Discus and support Background photos remain after Reset and Remove everything - Need to fully clean drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm am planning to sell my HP laptop upgraded to Windows 10 from original Windows 7 and wanted to completely clear all files from the hard drive and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by {Nick_B}, Sep 9, 2020.

1. {Nick_B} Win User

Background photos remain after Reset and Remove everything - Need to fully clean drive

I'm am planning to sell my HP laptop upgraded to Windows 10 from original Windows 7 and wanted to completely clear all files from the hard drive and reinstall Windows. The laptops runs ok so I did the following from within Windows 10: 'Reset this PC' >'Remove everything' > 'Remove files and clean the drive'. However, after completion I booted the laptop back up to check it had worked and found that the desktop background was displaying the photos I had used as a background prior to the reset. I checked the C drive for any files, but it was all cleared out as far as I could tell although I am by no means an expert, and when I looked at the background settings under 'Personalize' on the desktop, the file browser could not show me where the photos were stored... So somehow these photos have remained stuck in the background despite the reset. I repeated the Reset and Remove everything process but got the same result.

Please could someone help? I am aware that I could install a fresh copy of Windows 10 from a flash drive after the reset and clean, but have never done this before - would it make a difference?
    Thanks Background photos remain after Reset and Remove everything - Need to fully clean drive :D

:)

{Nick_B}, Sep 9, 2020

2. fully clean drive

After doing a "fully clean drive" in resetting pc, my sign in screen and name are still displayed. Why wasn't that removed, "cleaned " as well? Is it a hardware or software issue?

ChuckKerstein, Sep 9, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Reset and "Fully Clean The Drive" on SSD

Hi,

I have a quick question about the "Fully Clean The Drive" option for Windows 10...

I have read that if you are planning on selling your computer you should reset Windows 10 and select 'Fully Clean The Drive'. I have read this is 'similar' to running format.exe c:\ /P:0, which would overwrite the whole drive
    with zeros, making data recovery from a traditional HDD pretty much impossible.

My questions are

1) What exactly does fully clean the drive do? Does it overwrite the WHOLE drive or just delete user files and overwrite the free space? Because if it were to overwrite the whole drive how could it reinstall windows because there
    would be no remaining data on the drive.

2) How does fully clean the drive work on SSD's? A single overwrite on a SSD would not be sufficient to sanitise the drive unless a TRIM command was also issued. Would fully clean the drive issue a TRIM command?

I guess my main question is how likely is it you can recover user data after you 'fully clean the drive' on an SSD?

Thank you in advance!

DanLowe4543, Sep 9, 2020
  4. Background photos remain after Reset and Remove everything - Need to fully clean drive

Reset this pc: fully clean drive. It wipes free space too?

Hello again

Does the feature on Windows 10 "Reset this PC" option Remove everything-fully clean the drive ALSO overwrites FREE SPACE?

I manually formated the disk and everything was gone but a format doesn't overwrites anything. So the fully clean drive from reset it will overwrite the previous deleted files(now free space) from the previous format?

Thank you and have a great day

765c01fe-064c-45c7-9ebf-bb4dc9d5d93f, Sep 9, 2020
Thema:

Background photos remain after Reset and Remove everything - Need to fully clean drive

1. Background photos remain after Reset and Remove everything - Need to fully clean drive - Similar Threads - Background photos remain

2. If i choose "Clean the drive" after choosing "Remove everything" in "Reset this PC" will it...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    If i choose "Clean the drive" after choosing "Remove everything" in "Reset this PC" will it...: I want to reset my pc and clean out the C Drive without cleaning out my D & E drive. If i choose "Clean the drive" option after "Remove everything" will it delete files from the drives where windows is not installed, ie D & E drives? Please help me I just want my 2 external...
  3. Windows 10 Reset PC remove files vs fully clean drive on a SSD

Windows 10 Reset PC remove files vs fully clean drive on a SSD: Sorry if this had already been answered, I searched Google and this site and couldn't find an answer. I was gifted an old HP laptop that was upgraded to Windows 10 a long time ago (it also originally came with a HDD and was upgraded to a SSD) and I want to do a full reset so...
  4. Clean the drive fully or just remove files

Clean the drive fully or just remove files: Hello, I'm planning to sell my HP stream laptop and I'm wanting to reset the PC to factory settings. There are two options - "just remove my files" and "clean drive fully". I have another desktop, and I was wondering if I select "clean the drive fully" on the laptop,...
  5. fully clean drive

fully clean drive: After doing a "fully clean drive" in resetting pc, my sign in screen and name are still displayed. Why wasn't that removed, "cleaned " as well? Is it a hardware or software issue?...
  6. Reset this PC - Remove everything vs clean install

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reset this PC - Remove everything vs clean install: Hi, can someone explain me the differences between the "Reset this PC - Remove everything" function and a Windows 10 clean install? Thanks. submitted by /u/espositodnl86 [link] [comments]...
  7. Fully Clean The Drive Not Finishing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Fully Clean The Drive Not Finishing: So when I downloaded windows 8 transformation pack it told me to restart... So i did but when i signed in all it showed was a black screen as my desktop and when i pressed "CTRL + ALT + DELETE" it showed me the default options so all i was able to access was The task manager...
  8. Fully clean the drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fully clean the drive: I've been fully cleaning the drive for about 12 hours now and it's been stuck at the same percentage for ages as I left it over night is there anyway I can check to speed up the process or check if it's not even working anymore thanks...
  9. Fully cleaning the drive loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fully cleaning the drive loop: I've been trying to erase everything from my pc so I clicked fully clean the drives it started off okay but when it got to 42% it stopped and it's been like this for a few hours how long does it take and any way to fix it?...
  10. Reset 'remove everything' - need help

Reset 'remove everything' - need help: Hi Guys, I did a 'reset, remove everything' and chose ' remove files and clean hard drive' It took about 1.5 hr to complete the first stage. It then made me choose to press esc or f11 (I think), I then chose f11. It has now been sitting on a black screen with a the...