Windows 10: Background update? System hogging 20-50% of system resources.

Discus and support Background update? System hogging 20-50% of system resources. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My PC is being absolutely destroyed right now, unusable for the past 30 minutes, was fine this morning. i7-7700 HQ, GTX 1060 HQ (forgive my inferior... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Tankerspam, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Background update? System hogging 20-50% of system resources.

My PC is being absolutely destroyed right now, unusable for the past 30 minutes, was fine this morning. i7-7700 HQ, GTX 1060 HQ (forgive my inferior laptop self)

Any ideas?

submitted by /u/Tankerspam
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Tankerspam, Nov 24, 2020

2. Photos app hogging resources in background

Ian, this suggestion was posted on my other thread:

We understand that not all of users are using the Photos app on Windows 10, if not very often. If you don't want this app to be running on background when not in use, there is a way you can turn this
    off. Kindly follow the steps provided below:

• In Cortana, type Privacy Settings
      and press Enter.
    • Look for Background apps.
    • Look for Photos in the list.
    • Flip the switch to Off.
    • Restart your computer.

After you restart your computer, you can check if the Photos app is still running in background. You can use these steps to turn off any running background applications as it is not limited to Photos
    app alone. In this way, you can conserve a lot of power and process allowance.

I just followed these instructions, and now have to wait to see if it works. I'm hoping it solves your problem, too!

BarryG_961, Nov 24, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    Cortana background task host resource hogging

Hi, just a quick thought from your 3rd screenshot (thanks for providing these)..
    This suggests to me you have an extensive music collection being catalogued (or whatever it is Groove does with music files).

I suggest you disable music cataloguing and see what effect that has.

Background update? System hogging 20-50% of system resources. [​IMG]

I've never let that happen so I can't comment from personal experience. (However I can say that if you say
    Hey, Cortana, play some music
    with nothing catalogued, the response demonstrates a certain lack of thought by MS!)

The first screenshot requires technical analysis to discover what servicehost.exe is doing.
    Here's a starter for 10:
    What Is svchost.exe and Why Is It Running?

dalchina, Nov 24, 2020
  4. Background update? System hogging 20-50% of system resources.

Photos app hogging resources in background

It worked for a while, but now it's back. Just as troubling as the Photos app hogging the resources is the fact that the setting not to allow Photos from running in the background is being ignored.

I started a new thread here.

It also contains a link to my entry about this in Feedback Hub.

BarryG_961, Nov 24, 2020
Thema:

Background update? System hogging 20-50% of system resources.

1. Background update? System hogging 20-50% of system resources. - Similar Threads - Background update System

2. Just hogging up the system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Just hogging up the system: Anyone seen Outlook, Teams and then Windows explorer and whole bunch of other other services like antimalware audio isolation etc etc just hogs the system to a point that the system becomes unusable? This seems to be getting worse by the day. Attached is what Explorer has...
  3. Just hogging up the system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Just hogging up the system: Anyone seen Outlook, Teams and then Windows explorer and whole bunch of other other services like antimalware audio isolation etc etc just hogs the system to a point that the system becomes unusable? This seems to be getting worse by the day. Attached is what Explorer has...
  4. Just hogging up the system

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Chrome hogging all resources

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome hogging all resources: My Chrome(latest version) is hogging all resources, can having too many bookmarks, history, saved passwords, search engines etc cause chrome to hog all the PC resources? 167877
  6. Chrome hogging all resources

Chrome hogging all resources: My Chrome(latest version) is hogging all resources, can having too many bookmarks, history, saved passwords, search engines etc cause chrome to hog all the PC resources? 167877
  7. System process hogging 20% of CPU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System process hogging 20% of CPU: Why does the System process suck up around 20% of the CPU all the time? Is it because of HP bloatware? [ATTACH] My PC info can you see this screenshot?: [ATTACH]...
  8. Edge Chromium as a resource hog

Edge Chromium as a resource hog: Dear team of Edge Browser and its users, Please, comment on my personal experience in using Edge Chromium stable version on my PC with Windows 10 Home with all latest updates. At the beginning the Edge browser worked as a charm but suddenly it started working slowly...
  9. 50-100% system interrupts?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    50-100% system interrupts?: l regularly have situations where my Windows 10 system (MS - Surface Pro) behaves extremely sluggish or gets completely non-responsive. When I then fire up task manager I often see 40%, 50%, up to 99% "system interrupts" as top-CPU eater. What is this BS? What is going on (or...
  10. Cortana background task host resource hogging

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cortana background task host resource hogging: Hey all i have been having a problem with the cortana background task host. It seems to take up a lot of the CPU and disk after i have used either itunes or windows media player. I have no idea how long this has been going since i only noticed as i have other issues with...