Windows 10: Backing file to USB external hardrive

Discus and support Backing file to USB external hardrive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Having trouble using external hard drive to backup computer will not accept external settings... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Raelyn and GrahamHayes, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Backing file to USB external hardrive

Having trouble using external hard drive to backup computer will not accept external settings

:)

Raelyn and GrahamHayes, Mar 9, 2019

2. File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Mar 9, 2019
  3. Cocotl Win User
    Windows 10 not letting me update it with external hardrive

Hello,

I currently have Windows 10 on my HP Stream Notebook PC 13. For some reason it wont let me intall the Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586. I have been using my Toshiba external hardrive to intall updates and back up my files. My external hardrive
    shows up and works with the computer, but when I go to upgrade it, it doesn't give me the option to use an external hardrive to update it! I need help... How do I make that option show up?

Cocotl, Mar 9, 2019
  4. Backing file to USB external hardrive

USB external Hardrive does not get detected

The hardrive doesn't show in the file explorer.

pierangelopedemonte, Mar 9, 2019
Thema:

Backing file to USB external hardrive

1. Backing file to USB external hardrive - Similar Threads - Backing file USB

2. External Hardrive Does Not Appear in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hardrive Does Not Appear in File Explorer: I have a USB external hard drive that appears on my Windows Desktop under drive letter E. However, when I connect it to my Windows laptop it does not appear in the file explore or in the Disk Management.However, it does appear in the Device Manager and under 'Bluetooth and...
  3. External Hardrive Does Not Appear in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hardrive Does Not Appear in File Explorer: I have a USB external hard drive that appears on my Windows Desktop under drive letter E. However, when I connect it to my Windows laptop it does not appear in the file explore or in the Disk Management.However, it does appear in the Device Manager and under 'Bluetooth and...
  4. External Hardrive Does Not Appear in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Automatically Creating Copes of Image Files on External Hardrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatically Creating Copes of Image Files on External Hardrive: I am getting a lot of photo files, too many for my laptop's internal drive. So, I want to make copies of them on an external hard drive. I would like this for three reasons:1. To have additional copies in case of a drive failure;2. To make space on my laptop's internal drive;...
  6. Automatically Creating Copes of Image Files on External Hardrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatically Creating Copes of Image Files on External Hardrive: I am getting a lot of photo files, too many for my laptop's internal drive. So, I want to make copies of them on an external hard drive. I would like this for three reasons:1. To have additional copies in case of a drive failure;2. To make space on my laptop's internal drive;...
  7. External Hardrive

External Hardrive: How do i access my external HARDRIVE on my PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hardrive/216895a8-343c-4b49-93f2-d71f988de2a4
  8. External Hardrive USB

External Hardrive USB: Hi, I recently bought a KESU USB 3.0 320 G external hardrive. It is not showing up anywhere on my Surface Pro 7. I have tried going into Device Manager and uninstalling and reinstalling USB Root Hub USB. 3 but still the hardrive is not showing up anywhere. How do I fix...
  9. Win10 external Hardrive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win10 external Hardrive.: Hello all techies need your help. I have been using my External hardrive case with different memory card plug in the front of the external hardrive case. It has been working for over five years fine and something happened that it wants to now format it. I know all the...
  10. no external hardrive to backup files!!dropbox?one drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    no external hardrive to backup files!!dropbox?one drive?: If I do a fresh install. What are some safe online sites I can back up my files? Drop box or one drive? Suggestions? 37014