Windows 10: Backing up a crashed system from the recovery console (or what10 calls

Discus and support Backing up a crashed system from the recovery console (or what10 calls in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have a system that refuses to boot to Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), and I think I need to do a reinstall. The advanced boot options is available,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by SlickRCBD, Mar 16, 2021.

1. SlickRCBD Win User

Backing up a crashed system from the recovery console (or what10 calls

I have a system that refuses to boot to Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), and I think I need to do a reinstall.
    The advanced boot options is available, but it will not go into safe mode. I can however get the command line, and it recognizes both robocopy and xcopy.
    Assume that C is the hard drive, and D is an external portable USB backup drive.
    Anyways, from the command prompt I typed

robocopy c:\users d:\ /e /copyall /z /DCopy*BiggrinAT /R:3 /W:5

big mistake. I got stuck in some loop in c:\all users\applicationdata

where it kept making nested appdata folders and kept copying something from the public folder.

I attempted to delete the resulting d:\users with rd /s but got errors about the directory not empty.

I did a dir and thought I had a lot of free space due to misreading the number of commas as I wasn't fully awake yet, and tried to just go for my own user folder.

I tried xcopy since I was having trouble with robocopy

xcopy c:\users\slick d:\users\slick /e /c /f /g /k /y /z

This ran out of disk space, and I found I only had about 180gb on a 2tb drive and I had a lot more junk in my user folder.

exploring with the command prompt didn't show me any files. So I took the drive over to my working Windows 7 Professional computer (It's over 10 years old, and I tried win10 during the free upgrade, but it didn't perform well so I went back to 7. The computer came with Vista Home Premium; so please don't tell me to downgrade it to Windows 10. It's too old. Win7 was an upgrade, Win10 was a downgrade). I attempted to delete the resulting c;\users folder, but I cannot take ownership of parts of it, I cannot use the security tab to grant myself or the administrators group full control, and I cannot delete the damn folder that apparently is taking up over 1.5tb of data but getting properties won't acknowledge it.

Yes, I got the prompt about getting access, but it didn't work and told me to use the security tab. I also tired takeown.exe which didn't seem to work either.

ImageImageImage

I get no error when trying to delete the users folder with Explorer when logged in as an admin, it just doesn't work.

The command prompt however gives this;

H:\>rd /s users

users, Are you sure (Y/N)? y

users\ALLUSE~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\AP

PLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1 - The dire

ctory is not empty.

users\slick\AppData\Local\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\

APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1 - The di

rectory is not empty.

H:\>rd /s "\\?\h:\users"

\\?\h:\users, Are you sure (Y/N)? y

\\?\h:\users\ALLUSE~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPL

IC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1 - T

he directory is not empty.

\\?\h:\users\slick\AppData\Local\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\AP

PLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1\APPLIC~1 -

The directory is not empty.

Chkdsk reports that there are thousands of files, which would be consistent with the stuff I saw it copying from my "phonebackup" folders that I saw when robocopy was going for days. However i can't see the files and I can't get rid of them. I have a huge fanfic library stored on my phone and the phonebackup is a quick and and easy way to restore everything when I reset my phone. Checkdsk also claims there are no errors to fix, yet things are FUBAR with that c:\users.

I'm about ready to reformat the drive, but I'm not sure if there are drivers or anything I need to keep on a seagate portable hard drive.

So anyways, a second question is what did I do wrong trying to backup the user directories with the command line? What command/parameters should I have used?

TL;DR?
    1. 1. Should I reformat the backup drive to fix the mess my copy attempts made or what should I do to fix it,
    2. 2. What command(s) should I have used (with what parms) to easily back up the public folder, my limited account, the admin account, and the other users's folders from the command line/recovery console?
    Re-posted from the unhelpful Microsoft forums, sorta combining two posts. Feel free to reply there as well.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...4-96812a42fa76
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...f-ebb033df634c

P.S. the prompt here suggests I should include my version number. The VER command reports
    Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19041.1].

:)

SlickRCBD, Mar 16, 2021

2. System Recovery Not working.

Hi,

To better understand the issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• What caused the PC to crash? Were there any changes made on the system?
    • How did you create the recovery disc?

You may refer to this link, under
    Using this tool to create installation media for the steps on how to create a recovery disc.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Patricia Yu, Mar 16, 2021
  3. peach1971 Win User
    all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Mar 16, 2021
  4. Backing up a crashed system from the recovery console (or what10 calls

all games crash!

ive watch my temps and both the cpu and gpu are within normal ranges. when it freezes it simply freezes the image and stops the sound. i must reboot to get back to windows.

Easy Rhino, Mar 16, 2021
Thema:

Backing up a crashed system from the recovery console (or what10 calls

1. Backing up a crashed system from the recovery console (or what10 calls - Similar Threads - Backing crashed system

2. Backing up with AOMEI Backupper using Windows System Image from recovery Environment

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backing up with AOMEI Backupper using Windows System Image from recovery Environment: Hi I wanted to ask something since I need to have a paid version of this software to use AOMEI Backup Recovery Environment and I was wondering if I can use the system image backup file I created using the standard Windows Recovery Environmentwhen you use shift+shutdown.On my...
  3. Backing up with AOMEI Backupper using Windows System Image from recovery Environment

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backing up with AOMEI Backupper using Windows System Image from recovery Environment: Hi I wanted to ask something since I need to have a paid version of this software to use AOMEI Backup Recovery Environment and I was wondering if I can use the system image backup file I created using the standard Windows Recovery Environmentwhen you use shift+shutdown.On my...
  4. Backing up with AOMEI Backupper using Windows System Image from recovery Environment

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. backing up \users on crashed system

backing up \users on crashed system: I have a system that refuses to boot to Windows 10, and I think I need to do a reinstall. The advanced boot options is available, but it will not go into safe mode. I can however get the command line, and it recognizes both robocopy and xcopy. Assume that C is the hard...
  6. recovery and back ups

recovery and back ups: is it ok to have a recovery disk and backup disk on the same disk drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-and-back-ups/7c0ba7a8-9908-4f41-a4a9-586f1bf3eb3f
  7. Can't Back Up System Files To The Recovery Drive

Can't Back Up System Files To The Recovery Drive: I am attempting to create a Recovery Drive, using an external hard drive. On the screen "create a recovery drive", there is an option to "back up system files to the recovery drive". If I check that box, the next screen "please wait" with the green status bar runs forever,...
  8. Recovery / Back Up related

Recovery / Back Up related: I have several questions, please bear with me:- History:- Recently I lost my dear hard disk, it just crashed (just like that). Since there was an urgency I had to buy a new hard disk as we as a new licensed windows 10 CD. ( NO I did not create any recovery and moreover I...
  9. back up system

back up system: I need to back up files so that I can send my laptop to HP for issues. They asked that I backup my files. Now that I am ready to do this, I am questioning: do I just back up all files? How do I know I have them ALL? Do I need to back up Office since I purchased this...
  10. Windows back up and recovery

Windows back up and recovery: I have a windows 10 pc. It has a separate recovery partition sizing around 16 GB. I was suggested by the retailer to take its back up in case of emergency then I took I in a 32GB pendrive. I lost that pd. Now when I went to take a recovery back up again it said you can do so...