Windows 10: Backing up a Hyper-V virtual machine fails due to Volume Shadow Copy Service

Discus and support Backing up a Hyper-V virtual machine fails due to Volume Shadow Copy Service in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The full error is: Backup failed to complete. A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed. Please check "VSS" and "SSP" application event logs for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SV Max, May 8, 2020.

1. SV Max Win User

Backing up a Hyper-V virtual machine fails due to Volume Shadow Copy Service

The full error is:

Backup failed to complete. A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed. Please check "VSS" and "SSP" application event logs for more information. Detailed error: The operation ended before completion.

Upon checking the event log, it says:

The backup operation that started at '‎2020‎-‎05‎-‎08T21:33:38.477000000Z' has failed because the Volume Shadow Copy Service operation to create a shadow copy of the volumes being backed up failed with following error code '0x807800A1'.

What am I trying to do?

I'm running Windows Server 2016 as a Hyper-V host. I have some virtual machines that I would like to back up using the Windows Server Backup feature as shown here:

Backing up a Hyper-V virtual machine fails due to Volume Shadow Copy Service 7d16ac00-6ce1-49fd-b87c-09e356142342?upload=true.png

I am backing these VMs to a remote shared folder and eventually get these backed up on a schedule on a daily basis but that's outside this post. The issue is that every time I try to backup these VMs, the above error message appears. For whatever reason, these backups work just fine in our test environment but do not work in our production environment.

I did some reading and found that the Volume Shadow Copy service has to be running in order for this to work. I looked in Services and found that it wasn't running. I started it and enabled Automatic startup. This did not work. I found that there are dependencies on this service such as Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider service that have be running too. These also did not correct the issue.

Our Windows firewall is turned off and antivirus is disabled too.

Does anyone have any suggestion or solution to this issue?

Thanks.

:)

SV Max, May 8, 2020
  2. shadowynd Win User

Hyper-V on Windows Home Edition?

In my "Services (Local)", the following are listed:

Hyper-V Data Exchange Service

Hyper-V Guest Service Interface

Hyper-V Guest Shutdown Service

Hyper-V Heartbeat Service

Hyper-V Remote Desktop Virtualization Service

Hyper-V Time Synchronization Service

Hyper-V VM Session Service

Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy Requestor

Since Hyper V isn't supposed to be on Windows 10 Home, I'm wondering what's going on and why it is in my Services. Are there any other services which would appear in Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise or Education that shouldn't appear in Windows 10 Home Services?

Thanks!

shadowynd, May 8, 2020
  3. jbl1985 Win User
    Importing Virtual PC -> Hyper V

Thank you. I followed the instructions below, and when I go to hit the action menu to install Integration services, of course, there is no such option under the Action Menu. The instructions seem so simple but I'm still missing something...

Step 4: Install or upgrade integration services

Hyper-V includes a software package for supported guest operating systems that improves integration between the physical computer and the virtual machine. This package is referred to as integration services. To learn more, see Integration
    Services

This step can't be automated or done within a Windows PowerShell session.

To install integration services

• Open Hyper-V Manager. From the Server Manager Tools menu, click Hyper-V Manager.

• Connect to the virtual machine. Right-click the name of the virtual machine and click Connect.

• From the Action menu of Virtual Machine Connection, click Insert Integration Services Setup Disk. This action loads the setup disk in the virtual DVD drive. Depending on the guest operating system installed, you may
      need to start the installation manually.

• After the installation finishes, all integration services are available for use.

jbl1985, May 8, 2020
  4. SarahKong Win User

SarahKong, May 8, 2020
Thema:

1. Backing up a Hyper-V virtual machine fails due to Volume Shadow Copy Service - Similar Threads - Backing Hyper virtual

2. Hyper-V failed to start the virtual machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V failed to start the virtual machine: Before updating to Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 25905, the virtual machine has been in normal use, and after the recent update, it suddenly found that the normally shut down virtual machine cannot be turned on, and when trying to boot it will throw "Win10 virtual machine...
  3. Hyper-V failed to start the virtual machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V failed to start the virtual machine: Before updating to Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 25905, the virtual machine has been in normal use, and after the recent update, it suddenly found that the normally shut down virtual machine cannot be turned on, and when trying to boot it will throw "Win10 virtual machine...
  4. Problems with starting up virtual machines in Hyper-V

Problems with starting up virtual machines in Hyper-V: Whenever I create a VM to boot to the vHard drive it has always said ">>Start PXE on IPv4 and I even tryed to uncheck "Boot from TPM" or whatever it said and It still never boots the OS. Please help?...
  5. Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy service missing and removed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy service missing and removed: Hello fellow Microsoft Community Members,Can you please help?I am missing many of the required Hyper-V services as seen in the image below. Can you please help restore the required items? This machine is my personal machine not the property of a business nor is this machine...
  6. Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy service missing and removed

Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy service missing and removed: Hello fellow Microsoft Community Members,Can you please help?I am missing many of the required Hyper-V services as seen in the image below. Can you please help restore the required items? This machine is my personal machine not the property of a business nor is this machine...
  7. Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy service missing and removed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Hyper-V virtual machine very slow to start? Speed-up Hyper-V virtual machine!

in Windows 10 News
    Hyper-V virtual machine very slow to start? Speed-up Hyper-V virtual machine!: [ATTACH]If you have installed Windows 11 in Hyper-V, but the virtual machine is very slow to start, here are some tweaks that might speed it up. Although several things are responsible for this slowness, these common changes might be handy for you. Whether you have installed...
  9. Backing up Hyper-V Virtual Machines

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Backing up Hyper-V Virtual Machines: Hi, I was wondering if all I really need to do to backup activated virtual machines but not associated virtual hard drives is just to copy the virtual hard drive folder to another drive (or even one drive) . All I am really interested is in saving the machines which have...
  10. Hyper-V Quick Create - Create or Copy a Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V Quick Create - Create or Copy a Virtual Machine: How to: Hyper-V Quick Create - Create or Copy a Virtual Machine [img] Information Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 15002 gave a facelift to Hyper-V as told earlier on Ten Forums. One of the new cool things is a new feature in Hyper-V Manager called Quick Create. With it...