Windows 10: Backing up all non-windows files automatically?

Discus and support Backing up all non-windows files automatically? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Recently I helped to upgrade someone's computer from 8.1 to windows 10. But the windows update refused to work,had no chance to get it to work and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by yujinloh, Sep 21, 2017.

1. yujinloh Win User

Backing up all non-windows files automatically?

Recently I helped to upgrade someone's computer from 8.1 to windows 10.
    But the windows update refused to work,had no chance to get it to work and tried a ton of options online.
    I plan to format the hdd and have a clean w10 install.
    The problem is on the hdd contains some personal files,how can i backup all personal files automatically(preferably sort of restoring the files back to the same place automatically too after install)?

TL;DR
    What I'm planning to do:
    1)Backup personal files on c drive, keep the backup files would be on d drive
    2)Do a clean w10 install(start afresh,keeps nothing on c: drive)(afaik the d: drive wont be touched right?)
    3)Restore the files back to c:

:)

yujinloh, Sep 21, 2017

2. File History Not Backing Up All Folders

Hi,

We noticed the post has been inactive for 48 hours now. We'd like to make sure if you still need assistance regarding this issue.

If the previous recommendation resolved your issue, we encourage you to inform the Community by marking the post as an answer or by clicking on Helpful.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Adrianne Buc, Sep 21, 2017
  3. 12xuser Win User
    File History Not Backing Up All Folders

I have been using OneDrive since it was SkyDrive, so I know how to use it. I have set up File History to back up to a USB drive. Some of the folders are backed up, but some of them are not (13GB out of 32GB). Why should this happen? How can I fix it?

12xuser, Sep 21, 2017
  4. Mooly Win User

You say you formatted the HDD in order to do a clean install. That action will have deleted all that was on the HDD previously meaning that the old files are not recoverable.

Mooly, Sep 21, 2017
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    Where (what type of drive and size) are the personal files stored? If you formatted the drive you installed to, how did you back up those files first?

f14tomcat, Sep 21, 2017
  6. Sorry, but "non-Windows files" is too vague and broad to be a useful term.

There are lots of "non-Windows" files that are not personal files, so there's no simply way to identify them for backup purposes.

Your only easy options are to either: (1) backup up the entire image, so that all the personal files are automatically included, or (2) select specific personal files and back them up.

As to recovery, even when a drive is reformatted, the existing files are not removed -- but some of them are overwritten.

You MIGHT be able to use data recovery applications to retrieve some of the files you want, but if they have been overwritten, they are gone.

Mark Phelps, Sep 22, 2017
  7. yujinloh Win User
    Sorry I made a mistake there, I havent formatted the hdd.

yujinloh, Sep 29, 2017
  8. yujinloh Win User

Sorry for the late reply.
    I've edited my post for clarity.
    I haven't formatted the drive,just planned to do it but the personal files on it are troublesome to backup 1by1.
    The files are store on c: drive(windows system drive) of 200++gb
    I'm planning to move the files to d: drive(an 500gb hdd are split into 2 partitions, c: and d*Smile

Im planning to do this:
    1)Backup personal files on c drive,the backup files would be on d drive
    2)Do a clean w10 install(start afresh,keeps nothing on c: drive)
    3)Restore the files back to c:

yujinloh, Sep 29, 2017
  9. yujinloh Win User
    Can u explain the first option?

Did u mean to backup the entire image before formatting?
    Can u recommend a software that is easy to use and powerful to do this?

yujinloh, Sep 29, 2017
  10. f14tomcat Win User
    @yujinloh

Macrium Reflect. It's free, and also a paid version for advanced functions. #1 recommended here on Tenforums.

Here is a tutorial written by a Tenforums member in our tutorial section.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Windows 10 Backup Restore Tutorials

Here is the Macrium Reflect link for the free edition.

Macrium Software | Your Image is Everything

f14tomcat, Sep 29, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    Once you have the disk image created, you can mount it (so it appears as another drive letter) and copy whatever you need.

The advantage- no need to worry about forgetting something.

We also strongly advocate the routine use of disk imaging to support Windows- so you can restore Windows to a previous working state should something go wrong that can't be readily fixed. Applies also to any other disk or partition.

dalchina, Sep 29, 2017
  12. I've been busy and unable to get back here until now ...

But, others have answered your questions.

And, I have used MR for years and found it to be an invaluable solution for backup and recovery.

Mark Phelps, Sep 29, 2017
  13. yujinloh Win User

Thanks for the help.

yujinloh, Sep 30, 2017
  14. PCmover is the ONLY software that automatically transfers, restores, and upgrades all selected files, folders, settings, user profiles, and even applications from an old PC to a new PC.

FreeBooter, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Backing up all non-windows files automatically? - Similar Threads - Backing non files

2. Backing up files to an external disc - automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backing up files to an external disc - automatically: I have a folder at C:\Users\Public\ and need to back it up on an external USB. I tried using file history but I couldn't get it to work because I couldn't set the path to that folder.I basically want to change the "Copies from" and add another path to copy things from.I have...
  3. Backing up files to an external disc - automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backing up files to an external disc - automatically: I have a folder at C:\Users\Public\ and need to back it up on an external USB. I tried using file history but I couldn't get it to work because I couldn't set the path to that folder.I basically want to change the "Copies from" and add another path to copy things from.I have...
  4. Back Up Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Back Up Files: G'day,I have been trying to find some WORD DOCUMENT FILES. I cannot find them. I have done a BACK UP some time ago. I would like to know how I could look through this back up to see if the files are there. I do not want to RESTORE them. I would like to find my old Document...
  5. Back up files in BSOD/Automatic Repair loop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Back up files in BSOD/Automatic Repair loop?: Currently in a Blue Screen/Automatic repair loop. Tried many ways to fix it but had come to no avail. My last resort is to just do a clean install with my bootable hard drive. But before I do it, is there any way I can backup my files? submitted by /u/IngramFTW [link]...
  6. File history not backing up all files.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history not backing up all files.: I just purchased a new SSD and reinstalled windows using the MS media creation tool. It installed the latest Windows 10 Pro 1809 I installed many apps and games. I decided to run File History as previous backups have failed miserably. I check my game folder in appdata...
  7. Windows 10 backup not backing up all my files

Windows 10 backup not backing up all my files: External Drive When I set up an external backup on my new laptop and run like I did on my former PC, the following occurs: Documents (folder) - 0 content Music (folder) - has content Pictures (folder) - 0 content Videos (folder - has content PC drive Upon checking...
  8. Windows 10 not automatically backing up

Windows 10 not automatically backing up: Hey Guys, I'm running Windows 10 on my HP Computer and I can't get it to do an automatic backup to my external hard drive for the life of me. I've spent at least 4 hours in total on the phone with support who can't seem to figure it out either. We've tried...
  9. Windows 10 File History Not Backing Up Automatically

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows 10 File History Not Backing Up Automatically: I've had Windows 10 file history enabled since i got Windows 10 on release. It backs up every hour and has been working fine for over a year. A few days ago i went to restore a file and noticed that the file was not in the backup. I checked my backup, and noticed that...
  10. Windows 10 Automatic back up Interruption

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows 10 Automatic back up Interruption: Hello, I just set up windows 10 automatic back up for the first time.What happens if i reboot while it is backing up my files,after returning from a reboot will Windows 10 resumebacking up exactly where it left off and will it damagethe file that it was backing up @ the time...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How to buc up deleted videos on my windowsphone?