Windows 10: Backing up External SSD to NAS

Discus and support Backing up External SSD to NAS in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have an external SSD that I use for my data file and I'd like to set up automatic backup to my NAS drive. When I go into Settings>Backup and try to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by 67Goat, Nov 29, 2020.

1. 67Goat Win User

Backing up External SSD to NAS

I have an external SSD that I use for my data file and I'd like to set up automatic backup to my NAS drive. When I go into Settings>Backup and try to add folders from the SSD as the source, I get the following error "Sorry, but that didn't work. Error code 0x80070032."

My Windows version is 20H2 Build 19042.630

:)

67Goat, Nov 29, 2020
  2. michael Win User

Please suggest Best 4TB NAS External Hard Disk

Hi Guys,

Please suggest Best 4TB NAS External Hard Disk.

There are only two WD or Segate

What I want:-

1.USB 3.0
    2.LAN port
    3.Torrent client
    4.DLNA streaming

Please suggest if you have any experiences

Thanks.

michael, Nov 29, 2020
  3. External SSD recognized as HDD in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand your query related to External SSD showing as HDD when connected to the PC using USB 3.0 port. For further clarity on the issue, please respond to the questions below.

1. Have you tried connecting the SSD to any other PC?
    2. Are you using any converter to connect the SSD through USB 3.0 port?
    3. Are you using a RAID configuration?

I have researched on your query and found that the SSD that you are using is an internal SSD drive, in this case I would suggest you to try updating the Intel Rapid Storage drivers from the

intel website
    and see if that helps.

In addition, this issue can occur if the SSD is connected to a SATA controller that is identified as RAID (SCSI). I would suggest you to try connecting the SSD to a SATA port that uses AHCI controller such as Intel SATA controller/chipset.

Please get back to us with the detailed information to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Nov 29, 2020
  4. Barman58 Win User

Should I go for a NAS?

1. How many PC's need access to the data?
    2. Are you streaming data to TV's or mobile devices?
    3. Do you need to access the data whilst the PC is off

If you are not thinking of any of the above I would suggest that 8TB of storage On the PC and sufficient Backup Space external to it would be fine, and more cost effective.

If you are intending any of the above and especially Number 3 then a NAS looks more appropriate

Barman58, Nov 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Backing up External SSD to NAS - Similar Threads - Backing External SSD

2. NAS on new SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NAS on new SSD: I accidentally broke a SSD, but I had 2 NAS 4 Terabyte connected to it. I bought the same SSD, installed my Windows 10 on it, but I can't access those drives. Any help would be greatly appreciated. D~...
  3. NAS on new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NAS on new SSD: I accidentally broke a SSD, but I had 2 NAS 4 Terabyte connected to it. I bought the same SSD, installed my Windows 10 on it, but I can't access those drives. Any help would be greatly appreciated. D~...
  4. NAS on new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Backing up to an External Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backing up to an External Drive: Now that Windows 10 and 11 won't do a good backup to an external drive, if you don't want to use any Cloud, does anyone have a good way to back up system, programs, and files to an external hard drive? I have both....
  6. Backing up to an External Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backing up to an External Drive: Now that Windows 10 and 11 won't do a good backup to an external drive, if you don't want to use any Cloud, does anyone have a good way to back up system, programs, and files to an external hard drive? I have both....
  7. Backing up to an External Drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. Unable to back up computer to external SSD?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to back up computer to external SSD?: Hi guys. I am trying to back up my computer to an external drive but it is not recognizing the device. I have tried multiple SSDs in both of my USB ports, what else can I do?...
  9. simple nas for photo back ups

simple nas for photo back ups: hello, im after recommendations on the essayist and cheap way to automatically save photos mainly from my households phones, ideally something like a hard drive that connects to my router so when were home our phones will transfer any new photos taken to the hard drive...
  10. Backing up to external drive

Backing up to external drive: I use Windows backup and backup to external drive. It was getting full. Could that be why after last backup - backup size dropped from 570 GB to 380 GB? Otherwise backup seemed normal....