Windows 10: Backing up for Re-install -- File History is huge, getting huger

Discus and support Backing up for Re-install -- File History is huge, getting huger in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I'm having to back up data to re-install/clean-install W10. Owing to noting how huge File History was....I took some large folders out of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Eliot Mess, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Backing up for Re-install -- File History is huge, getting huger

I'm having to back up data to re-install/clean-install W10.

Owing to noting how huge File History was....I took some large folders out of the backup. (4GB, 6GB, 7GB)

On re-running the Backup each time, it didn't get smaller, it got larger and larger.

The SP3 is hardly used....77MB music on it.
    Plus about 5GB of residual Dropbox folders (left over from what I already cut out). I guess the notorious Outlook backup (3.3GB) is bloating it, but that wouldn't change within an 8-hour period.

I thought it was a smart backup, incremental-like. Anyway, guess not, but why is it getting bigger? It's up to 28GB now.

:)

Eliot Mess, Aug 20, 2015
  2. kwdavids Win User

File history is backing up unchanged files

I ran SFC and got the answer I didn't want--something was wrong and it couldn't fix it. I couldn't find any actual errors in the log file, although there were some warnings like:

2015-08-25 20:24:59, Info CSI 000045cf [DIRSD OWNER WARNING] Directory [ml:154{77},l:152{76}]"\??\C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\WindowsErrorReporting" is not owned but specifies SDDL in
    component Microsoft-Windows-ErrorReportingPowershell, pA = x86, nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}

2015-08-25 20:24:59, Info CSI 000045ca [DIRSD OWNER WARNING] Directory [ml:110{55},l:108{54}]"\??\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive" is not owned but specifies SDDL in component Microsoft-Windows-ErrorReportingCore,
    pA = x86, nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}

2015-08-25 20:24:59, Info CSI 000045d9 Warning - Overlap: Duplicate ownership for directory [l:58{29}]"\??\C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\setup" in component Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Default-Security, Version = 10.0.10240.16384,
    pA = x86, nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}

Because there was no way to separate the multiple copies, I just deleted my File History User folder. When I did that, Windows says that it's turned ON, but nothing is getting backed up. So I took the suggestion from the article you referenced and removed
    and reconnected the drive, or tried to. It let me turn it off, but not turn it back on (button disabled). I turned it on in the Control Panel. The moment I did that, I got an alert saying the drive was disconnected; however it did create the File History directory
    structure, with no files yet.

So I'll give it a while.

kwdavids, Aug 20, 2015
  3. kwdavids Win User
    File history is backing up unchanged files

I have File History turned on, and my backup disk filled up. After researching the issue I found this Microsoft TechNet article (Windows 8: File History explained | TechNet Magazine) that says:

Any time your personal files change, there will be a copy stored on a dedicated, external storage device of your choice. File History continuously protects your personal files
    stored in libraries, desktop, favorites and contacts folders. It periodically (every hour by default) scans the file system for changes and copies changed files to another location. Over time, File History builds a complete history of the changes made to any
    personal file.

That's what I want to happen, but instead I am getting multiple copies of
    unchanged
    files. For example I have a photo from 2011 for which there are 5 copies all with the same original file name and the same modification date. In fact, 4 of the files are appended with today's date! There are 500 GB of these duplicates files and
    documents. Note that Yesterday I removed some files from the list of files backed up with file history.

This is what I'm seeing (typical):

• IMG_0733 (2015_08_07 08_12_01 UTC)
    • IMG_0733 (2015_08_25 01_47_23 UTC)
    • IMG_0733 (2015_08_25 04_07_08 UTC)
    • IMG_0733 (2015_08_25 05_55_08 UTC)
    • IMG_0733 (2015_08_25 07_45_30 UTC)

Obviously I cannot just tell File History to keep files for just a week, since many of these duplicate files have today's date!

I have seen similar problems reported with Windows 8, but what I found there was that the problem had been fixed with an update from Microsoft.

How can I get File History to work as documented.

kwdavids, Aug 20, 2015
Thema:

Backing up for Re-install -- File History is huge, getting huger

1. Backing up for Re-install -- File History is huge, getting huger - Similar Threads - Backing install File

2. Error Backing Up with File History

in Windows 10 Customization
    Error Backing Up with File History: I have just started the first backup yesterday. It worked fine, but now I removed two folders from the backup set and now when I try to back up I get this error....
  3. Back up using File History

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Back up using File History: Hi thereI have a portable Samsung external hard drive attached to my computer which I use for backup purposes.However File History does not recognise it as a usable drive. When I click on 'add a drive' in Back Up it says 'no usable drives found'. How can I make it recognise...
  4. Back up using File History

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Back up using File History: Hi, I am trying to back up using file history but when I try to add a drive it says "No usable drives found". My WD Elements drive works fine and I can save my work there but when I try to Add a drive for back up using file history it says no usable drives found. Please help....
  5. File History back up not working

File History back up not working: Hi, Firstly, does any one know if Windows 10 Back up File History remains a focus for the Windows team? The UI is kinda clunky to say the least. I have been trying to use Back up but haven't had any success. If I right click on FileHistory on the external drive and choose...
  6. Backing up using File History

Backing up using File History: If I back up using File History to an external storage, will it erase the existing data on the external storage? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backing-up-using-file-history/4126a239-ea5d-4b3d-84be-7a8dca371d5b
  7. back up vs. file history

back up vs. file history: Win 10 back up/ file history https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-up-vs-file-history/caea7853-64bd-4aba-bbc6-8799cc5e64d3
  8. File history back up.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File history back up.: Hi, when I back up file history to an external drive it does not save my picture library. I have used different drives but no pictures are saved. I do have a one drive account as well but would love to get my pictures on an external drive just in case. Any ideas? Cheers,...
  9. Back-up and File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Back-up and File History: I use Windows 10 Back-up and I swap between 2 Passport Drives every month so as to put one at a time safely away from the PC. Trouble is, whenever I Add A Drive, the default settings are Back Up Hourly and Keep Forever. And to back up folders I never use like Saved Games and...
  10. File history/ Back-up

File history/ Back-up: I accidentally deleted my recovery partition and now I get an error saying check back-up settings. How can I re-install? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-back-up/83dfd074-f1b6-4cfc-8d02-4e0945a155de