Windows 10: Backing up Hyper-V Virtual Machines

Discus and support Backing up Hyper-V Virtual Machines in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi, I was wondering if all I really need to do to backup activated virtual machines but not associated virtual hard drives is just to copy the virtual... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by cereberus, Mar 5, 2018.

1. cereberus Win User

Backing up Hyper-V Virtual Machines

Hi, I was wondering if all I really need to do to backup activated virtual machines but not associated virtual hard drives is just to copy the virtual hard drive folder to another drive (or even one drive) .

All I am really interested is in saving the machines which have the hardware ids stored on the MS activation servers, not the actual vhds. I can clean install Windows on a new virtual hard disks any time, as I do not usually install much on them anyway.

I cannot see any reason why not - I would just need to reimport the virtual machines retaining the GUID as far as I can tell. Is there anything else I need to backup - not interested in checkpoints etc.

:)

cereberus, Mar 5, 2018
  2. BulldogXX Win User
    BulldogXX, Mar 5, 2018
  3. Rex99ny Win User
    Where is the Hyper V Manager, How to I start it ?

I am trying to setup an XP virtual Machine on Windows 10 Pro.

I followed the steps in Neil Peterson article of 5/9/2016.

System Requirements - done - ok

Install Hyper-V - done - ok

Create a Virtual Switch - skip

Create a Virtual Machine

Create a Virtual Machine with Hyper-V Manager

These steps walk through how to manually create a virtual machine and deploy an operating system to this virtual machine.

• In Hyper-V Manager, click Action > New >
      Virtual Machine
      to bring up the New

Uhhhhhhhhh - this step obviously implies one knows

1) Where the Hyper-V Manager is

2) How to start the Hyper-V Manager

Isn't that odd ?

Rex99ny, Mar 5, 2018
  4. Backing up Hyper-V Virtual Machines

Only thing you need to do is disconnect the vhds from your VMs, then go to the folder where the actual virtual machines are stored. Then just copy the machine to your backup media.

Finally you can reconnect the VHDs to your working VMs. And all done.

The reason why you want to disconnect the VHDs first is because it is much easier to import the backup. The VM import function won't be looking for any VHDs.

I use this method for the same reasons you are. *Smile

Hope this helps.

One final note: make sure that you have removed all checkpoints and that the merging has completed before removing the VHDs.

slicendice, Mar 5, 2018
  5. cereberus Win User
    Thanks - good tip about disconnecting vhds.

cereberus, Mar 5, 2018
  6. cereberus Win User
    Maybe some has changed (for the better) but I experimented recovering a vm I had backed up, but I temporarily renamed the vhd as an experiment. It came up with a popup asking me to locate vhd, or just disconnect link which I did andvm imported fine in seconds.

So I do not have to disconnect vhd up front, as I can do it at vm restore time.

Now all my vms sans vhds are backed up to onedrive (in seconds). Losing the vms would be the virtual equivalent of a mob failure. Losing the vhds (in my case) is only a minor irritation. I only backup rhe vhd that is essentially a clone of my normal desktop version.

As an aside, sysprepping Windows 10 is a PITA as it does not llike some 3rd party uwp apps, and you have to uninstall them first. Of course, you always forget. I had an annoying one with adblock plus (for Edge) as I could not find anyway of directly uninstalling it and had to use powershell. The annoying thing with sysprep is it stops when it finds a uwp app that needs to be uninstalled rather than checking the others (it would be neat to ask you if you want to delete them as well), so you sometimes take 2 or more sysprep attempts until all are deleted.

cereberus, Mar 6, 2018
  7. Oh, that's great news. Earlier I could not skip the vhd part.

slicendice, Mar 6, 2018
  8. cereberus Win User

Yeah basically, you can backup vms as is now - no need to detach vhds.

cereberus, Mar 6, 2018
  9. *Thumbs

slicendice, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Backing up Hyper-V Virtual Machines - Similar Threads - Backing Hyper Virtual

2. Problems with starting up virtual machines in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with starting up virtual machines in Hyper-V: Whenever I create a VM to boot to the vHard drive it has always said ">>Start PXE on IPv4 and I even tryed to uncheck "Boot from TPM" or whatever it said and It still never boots the OS. Please help?...
  3. Problems with starting up virtual machines in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems with starting up virtual machines in Hyper-V: Whenever I create a VM to boot to the vHard drive it has always said ">>Start PXE on IPv4 and I even tryed to uncheck "Boot from TPM" or whatever it said and It still never boots the OS. Please help?...
  4. Hyper-V virtual machine very slow to start? Speed-up Hyper-V virtual machine!

in Windows 10 News
    Hyper-V virtual machine very slow to start? Speed-up Hyper-V virtual machine!: [ATTACH]If you have installed Windows 11 in Hyper-V, but the virtual machine is very slow to start, here are some tweaks that might speed it up. Although several things are responsible for this slowness, these common changes might be handy for you. Whether you have installed...
  5. Issues with Hyper-V Virtual Machines

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issues with Hyper-V Virtual Machines: Hi all, I'm running Ubuntu 19.04 in a Hyper-V Virtual Machine. It's configured to use Hyper-V's "Default Switch" network adapter, but for some reason, the VM doesn't seem to get internet access. My computer is connected to the Internet (both through Wi-Fi and Ethernet). I've...
  6. Hyper V- Virtual Machine Error

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper V- Virtual Machine Error: While starting the Vistual Machine i am facing the below error shown in Event Viewer. Plz Help me out to resolve this problem. License Activation (slui.exe) failed with the following error code: hr=0x8007232B Command-line arguments:...
  7. Hyper V not connecting to virtual machine

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hyper V not connecting to virtual machine: Suddenly, Hyper V would not connect to any Virtual Machine using the Virtual Machine Connection. I trying creating new VMs and nothing worked. I am using Windows 10 Education....
  8. Hyper-V - Optimizing Virtual Machines

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V - Optimizing Virtual Machines: How to: Hyper-V - Optimizing Virtual Machines Running Windows on a virtual machine can naturally never be as fast as same version of Windows on same computer running on physical hardware. However, by tweaking virtual machine settings, you can greatly impact the speed and...
  9. Hyper-V Nested Virtualization: Run virtual machines on virtual machine

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V Nested Virtualization: Run virtual machines on virtual machine: How to: Hyper-V Nested Virtualization: Run virtual machines on virtual machine [img] Information Nested Virtualization means that user can enable Hyper-V on existing virtual machines, and run virtual machines and Windows Sandbox on them. To make Nested Virtualization...
  10. Create Shortcut of Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Shortcut of Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows: How to: Create Shortcut of Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows How to Create Shortcut of Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 8 and 10 [img] Note There's nothing wrong in running the Hyper-V Manager and launch your virtual machines from there. However, creating a...
Tags: