Windows 10: Backing up of files as insurance against computer crash

Discus and support Backing up of files as insurance against computer crash in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, please excuse my ignorance and seeming lack of ability to understand how various features work, or otherwise, and the comprehension to follow... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BrinWarden, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Backing up of files as insurance against computer crash

Hello,

please excuse my ignorance and seeming lack of ability to understand how various features work, or otherwise, and the comprehension to follow the myriad responses from generous fellow users and Professional support staff alike.

I used to think I was pretty intelligent, until I started using a pc in 1995, sadly I was wrong.

I have windows 10 vers. 2004 I use back up, including a 'system image' Windows 7 for windows 10.

I copy this to an external 1 tb hard drive and have always assumed that if I had a computer crash, I could just connect this drive back to my pc via USB2 and all the files and applications would be back where they were located prior to crash.

To my horror, I have found that all the files on the back up drive are just listed as groups of file numbers. PLEASE, if I wanted to use any or some of these files, would I have to open the whole plethora of numbers to find what they each are?

OR would I just be able to select 'download' for the entire saved files on the drive, then just expect all my applications /systems

to be exactly where they were before the crash?

Also I have been trying to puzzle out: Back up versus File history. Can I assume that if I wanted to open a specific file from file history, that I would need to know that files number as well, rather than a file name?.

I would appreciate some words of wisdom on the above, but, unless they are couched in the vocabulary of an uninitiated and totally untrained seven year old, they are likely to fly right over my head, and from the comments I often see on requests for help, I would certainly not be alone in suffering a 'crew cut' rather than enlightenment.

Kind regards and thanks for reading and any help offered.

De-educated Old Codger

:)

BrinWarden, Aug 14, 2020
  2. Joythar K Win User

File Explorer Crash

Hi,

Thank you for posting that in Microsoft Community. I understand your concern and I’ll be glad to assist you.

Can you get to the View All Problem Reports section of the Action Center control panel? That should contain crash data for this crash which could be very helpful information.

Method 1:

Step 1: Try the performance troubleshooter and check

• Type troubleshooter in the search bar.
    • From the list click ciew all and select performance troubleshooter. Follow the onscreen instructions thereafter.
    Step 2Backing up of files as insurance against computer crash :perform an SFC (System File Checker) scan on your system for any corrupted file settings.

• Press Windows + X on your keyboard.
    • Select Command prompt admin.
    • At the command prompt type “sfc /scannow” (no quotes), and then press ENTER.

Method 2: Placing the computer in a Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to perform the steps from the article.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: You need to refer to the steps suggested under the section, “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” to get the computer back to Normal Startup.

Check if the issue persists.

Get back to us with the results. We are happy to help.

Joythar K, Aug 14, 2020
  3. peach1971 Win User
    all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Aug 14, 2020
  4. Backing up of files as insurance against computer crash

all games crash!

ive watch my temps and both the cpu and gpu are within normal ranges. when it freezes it simply freezes the image and stops the sound. i must reboot to get back to windows.

Easy Rhino, Aug 14, 2020
Thema:

Backing up of files as insurance against computer crash

1. Backing up of files as insurance against computer crash - Similar Threads - Backing files insurance

2. Back up files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Back up files: there are several repeated files 'back up.....' each time I have to edit the files, is back up automatically, how stop this from happening ?I just the main file. Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-up-files/a08a8c70-05ce-4516-914d-a7c3b2e8af5a
  3. Back Up Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Back Up Files: G'day,I have been trying to find some WORD DOCUMENT FILES. I cannot find them. I have done a BACK UP some time ago. I would like to know how I could look through this back up to see if the files are there. I do not want to RESTORE them. I would like to find my old Document...
  4. Back Up Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Back Up Files: G'day,I have been trying to find some WORD DOCUMENT FILES. I cannot find them. I have done a BACK UP some time ago. I would like to know how I could look through this back up to see if the files are there. I do not want to RESTORE them. I would like to find my old Document...
  5. Back Up Files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. backing up computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    backing up computer: I understand backing up will save files pictures music etc. My question is I have purchased software onlinemeaning I have no physical Cd or DVD to use for reinstall should computer fail, will these type of files also be saved when I back up computer to external hard drive....
  7. Can't restore a back up against hackers to load in and delete mount.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't restore a back up against hackers to load in and delete mount.: like, they just turn it off with mount split. They also deleted my user. Hope i q with these smurfs with mine.aint good with their registry cheat attempts. Anyway. Need to wipe c...
  8. Backing Up Files

Backing Up Files: I have set up the backup feature in settings to an external hard drive via Expansion D. It states that files have been backed up to FileHistory but when I check it contains no files. What am I doing wrong?...
  9. backing up files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    backing up files: I want to change the drive and user that is being used on my computer. They are currently in (F) files user lat10 which is an incorrect user. I want to backup to drive (E) with Linda as the user. I also have many, many files under lat10 that were under lat101 until...
  10. back up files

back up files: cant find my back up files for windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/back-up-files/007e4ca4-6dc2-4498-b5cb-dbf1507d738c