Windows 10: Backing up of StartScreen

Discus and support Backing up of StartScreen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In Windows 8.1 I used to backup my Startscreen settings as follows: Step 1: Open the Run dialog box by hitting Windows key + R. Step 2: Type,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by aliskander, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Backing up of StartScreen

In Windows 8.1 I used to backup my Startscreen settings as follows:

Step 1: Open the Run dialog box by hitting Windows key + R.
    Step 2: Type, "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows" and hit Enter to open
    Windows Explorer to the location of the Start screen layout files.
    Step 3: Copy the files, "appsFolder.itemdata-ms" and
    "appsfolder.itemdata-ms.bak" to your backup folder.

In Windows 10 I find in that same path location only one file:
    appsFolder.itemdata-ms.remote

I suspect this file is a sort of pointer to the real files located in
    the c:\Windows.old folder.
    Is this correct?
    How can I backup the StartScreen settings?

Is there a way to correct that?

thanks in advance, gabriël

:)

aliskander, Nov 10, 2015

2. No startscreen on Lumia 950

I recently bought a Lumia 950, I set it up, but it seems like it doesn't have a startscreen. I just get the app-list and I can't get to the startscreen in any way (swipe right or by pressing the windows button). Even after a few updates (currently running
    1703) and a few soft resets the startscreen is nowhere in sight. Is there anything I can do to get it? I never encountered this problem with any Lumia I had in my hands.

Pieter Syperda, Nov 10, 2015
  3. Lumia 620 - Live Tile and Internet Explorer

You do not need to close the browser really, just hit the start button to jump back to the startscreen.

Paul van der Heu, Nov 10, 2015
Thema:

Backing up of StartScreen

1. Backing up of StartScreen - Similar Threads - Backing StartScreen

2. HP mx 920 printer is off line. How do I get it back on-line?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HP mx 920 printer is off line. How do I get it back on-line?: My HP MX 920 printer is showing "off-line" when I try to get it to print with my IBM laptop, however, there is not problem printing with it when I use my Apple notebook, so the printer is clearly not "off-line" . Does anyone know the solution to this issue?...
  3. My hard drive died on me but just before it took its last breath i ran a system back up and...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My hard drive died on me but just before it took its last breath i ran a system back up and...: My problem is i can't get this to boot, it hangs on loading files then goes to windows has encountered a problem. Status: 0xc00000e9 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-hard-drive-died-on-me-but-just-before-it-took/73950ae8-66ea-42e5-bee2-ffc94528dc55
  4. Windows 10 is not working for my 2012 laptop but I can't go back to Windows 7

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 is not working for my 2012 laptop but I can't go back to Windows 7: My laptop has not handled Windows 10 well (probably because it's not a tablet) I don't have the means to purchase a brand new computer either. I have tried to go back to Windows 7, even though I switched because support for Win7 is ending at the end of this year (2019), but...
  5. can i go back to windows 8.1 after an upgrade to windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    can i go back to windows 8.1 after an upgrade to windows 10: my laptop has not worked properly since upgrading (without my approval) to windows 10. i recently decided that restoring my computer by uninstalling EVERYTHING on my laptop and reinstalling windows. Unfortunately it reinstalled windows 10 and now it works even worse than...
  6. Question: How can I be sure all my Sticky Notes are backed up to my personal Microsoft...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question: How can I be sure all my Sticky Notes are backed up to my personal Microsoft...: This, among many other reasons, is why I'd love an iOS, Android, and Xbox version of the Microsoft Sticky Notes app. One of the most important Sticky Notes I need backed up is the one with my 186 homepages in Mozilla Firefox synced across all of my Windows 10 and macOS...
  7. turn off front or back camera

in Windows 10 Customization
    turn off front or back camera: How do I turn off the back or the front camera? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-front-or-back-camera/98a6a8b2-6dc6-4029-92f6-66e97a539262
  8. key board back light stops workimng

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    key board back light stops workimng: Windows update causes my Samsung Lap Top keyboard back light to stop working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/key-board-back-light-stops-workimng/5a0f121c-69b7-4ab9-87fd-21cf0f37d76d
  9. IME not allowing switching back to Japanese and English

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    IME not allowing switching back to Japanese and English: I have a Japanese user who has MS IME installed. When he is working in MS Outlook, it will not allow him to switch to different input options. I did the reset of the options that I read in one of the threads, and it worked for about 5 minutes. As soon as the user clicked...
  10. how do i get the win8 star screen back? the REAL win 8 startscreen

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do i get the win8 star screen back? the REAL win 8 startscreen: i've used win 8, and 8.1 since day 1, and have fallen inlove with the zippiness and productivity enhancing start screen. the start menu to me is taking 35 steps back to the 90s. now that i have 10, i want that back, is there an extension or 3rd party vendor who has come up...