Windows 10: Backing up OneNote?

Discus and support Backing up OneNote? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Hello! I was wonding if I can backup OneNote? Like if I want to do a clean install of Win10 in the future. Right now I'm using Notepad for all of my... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by seek, Sep 7, 2015.

1. seek Win User

Backing up OneNote?

Hello! I was wonding if I can backup OneNote? Like if I want to do a clean install of Win10 in the future. Right now I'm using Notepad for all of my notes but thinking about moving everything to OneNote if I could back it up.

-Thanks!!

:)

seek, Sep 7, 2015
  2. MichealOrlando, Sep 7, 2015
  3. Backing up 5800

I'm using both. But Nokia Pc suite does a pim backup, contacts, notes, bookmarks, etc... Ovi does media backup, pics, video, etc...

I'm also new with theses softwares but this is what I used them for now.

ruifcastro, Sep 7, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

Backing up OneNote?

OneNote is ALWAYS sync'd to OneDrive and backed up in AppData:

Backing up OneNote? [​IMG]

When you do a clean install and the reinstall OneNote(2013 Desktop version?) it will re sync for you.

Cliff S, Sep 7, 2015
  5. Cliff S New Member
    You're welcome.*Smile

Cliff S, Sep 7, 2015
  6. seek Win User
    One more question... How do you check for what version of OneNote your using? I have the one that comes with Windows 10.

seek, Sep 7, 2015
  7. Cliff S New Member
    Settings(gear icon>about:

Cliff S, Sep 8, 2015
  8. Backing up OneNote?

Hi. Looking for some clarification...

I am using Windows 10 and Office 2010. If I understand this correctly, there are two versions of OneNote on my system (which I will refer to as A" and "B"):

• Version "A" - Microsoft OneNote 2010 . I dont use this one- it currently only has default notebooks - which I see in \Users\AppsData and in \UserDocuments )

• Version "B" - OneNote ( Windows Store App). I use this one , and it's currently at Ver 17.6228.100910. I have set up a few notebooks on using this desktop version, and they sync perfectly with OneNote on my WinPhone and OneNoteOnline on the Web ( ..//onedrive.live.com). As well I see OneDrive/Files/Documents/Notebook has a shortcut to OneNoteOnline.

My question is about backups and offline files for Version "B"....

The screen shots in the thread above seem to be a mix of the two versions, but my question is for Version B only - the one that came with Windows 10, now on Ver 17.XXX - in what local folder on my desktop would I find the notebooks? I would like to back them up locally.

I see nothing under \UserData\AppData and nothing under \UserData\Documents and no options in the OneNote app itself. I even tried finding them with my faithful Agent Ransack search engine, but they are nowhere to be found.

I even checked my local folder which auto-syncs with OneDrive, hoping to see a local copy of my Notebooks there, but all I see there, under D:\OneDrive\Documents, is the same short to the notebooks on OneDriveOnLine. I have no local copies of my notebooks that I can see, and no way to go on line to manually grab a copy.

What am I missing?

For obvious reasons, I cannot use any app if I cannot backup the data locally.

mediaman09, Nov 5, 2015
  9. Cliff S New Member
    @mediaman09, I'm not quite sure, as I use OneNote2013(desktop version) for everything, but looking around, I "believe" it uses OneDrive, and if you have that set to also save locally on your PC as well as on Microsofts servers, it saves in that folder. As I said I use OneNote2013, and have only opened and sync'd the Universal app version as a backup.

Cliff S, Nov 5, 2015
  10. Thanks for trying. I used to believe OneNote for Windows 10 uses OneDrive as well, but I just dont see it there nor can I find any way to back up OneNote for Windows 10. So looks like I will have to scrap it, before I invest too much time building up notes that I can lose any time..

OneNote on my phones (both Win8 and Android) , syncs perfectly with OneNote Oneline , which syncs perfectly with OneNote for Windows 10 desktop, so I am 99% there, but without a backup, its useless to me. I tried to set up OneNote2010 desktop, but it wont sync with anything.

mediaman09, Nov 5, 2015
  11. Cliff S New Member
    install the 2013 desktop version it's free...Download OneNote

1 click to open menu
    2 click to download

Cliff S, Nov 5, 2015
  12. The DownLoad OneNote link tells me its already installed and the Open OneNote just opens up OneNote for Windows 10 Ver 17.xxx, so no luck there.

The Other Download Options / Free Download link only downloads the 64 bit version. I have the 32 bit version of Office. Even the note on that page says "For the best compatibility, we recommend the 32-bit version. ..", but they don't provide a free link to it. I finally found it, but it seems to want to install a full version of Office, not just OneNote. So the whole thing seems a bit too risky to try to resolve.

All would be fine if only OneNote for Windows 10 would provide a method for backing up notes.

mediaman09, Nov 5, 2015
  13. Backing up OneNote?

Not sure if it was coincidence or note but following a reboot and some Windows updates, I now see OneNote 2016 on my desktop!! I will play with that for awhile to see if its truly a useable/activated version, and if so I should be able to get my backups working.

mediaman09, Nov 6, 2015
  14. Cliff S New Member
    *Thumbs

Cliff S, Nov 6, 2015
  15. Okay I now have OneNote 2016 configured, and it too now syncs with all my devices, and I am now finally able to use it to periodically create backups manually.

But as an app for daily desktop use, I have not yet figured out how to make the UI work as it seems its all "backwards". I cannot seem to drag the Pages to where they belong. Let me explain.

All the following verions are perfectly useable and have a logical layout and flow, ie , Notebooks, then Sections, then Pages, then Content:

-OneNote for Windows 10 desktop(store app)
    -OneNote Online
    -OneNote for iPad
    -OneNote for Windows Phone
    -OneNote for Android Phone

However, for some reason, Outlook 2016 (and perhaps OneNote 2013 as well which I dont have) has a non-standard, and frankly unusable layout of Notebooks, then Sections, then Content (for the first Page), with Pages way off to the right. What a mess! It does not appear there is any way to move the panes around to a normal sequence, such that the main naviagation (Pages) are on the left where they belong. Quite a dissapointment. My brain has been trained at birth to read left to right! Is there a way to move the panes around that I might have missed?

I still like the OneNote solution in general, as all my devices can be kept in sync, but ironically, its the desktop implementation that is the worst. I guess I will need to stick with OneNote for Windows 10 (store app) for my daily desktop use, and periodically open OneNote 2016 to do a manually backup.

mediaman09, Nov 6, 2015
Thema:

Backing up OneNote?

1. Backing up OneNote? - Similar Threads - Backing OneNote

2. No desktop -- One Drive took it. I want it back.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No desktop -- One Drive took it. I want it back.: I had recently downloaded all folders to my hard drive from one drive, uninstalled one drive, and everything worked great. Then I emptied the last 3 folders from one drive under this PC, and deleted the one-drive folder, When I deleted the OD folder, my desktop disappeared...
  3. How do i get Onenote drawings back? they disappeared and only left the text.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i get Onenote drawings back? they disappeared and only left the text.: My OneNote drawings randomly disappeared and left the text only. How do I get these drawings back. This is for an assessment and I have already tried restarting, shutting down and closing the OneNote repeatedly. Also I don't think they got deleted. Please help if you can and...
  4. How do i get Onenote drawings back? they disappeared and only left the text.

How do i get Onenote drawings back? they disappeared and only left the text.: My OneNote drawings randomly disappeared and left the text only. How do I get these drawings back. This is for an assessment and I have already tried restarting, shutting down and closing the OneNote repeatedly. Also I don't think they got deleted. Please help if you can and...
  5. How do i get Onenote drawings back? they disappeared and only left the text.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Anyone's OneNote revert back to old pen system just now?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Anyone's OneNote revert back to old pen system just now?: Just when I got used to the new OneNote update with the pens-- it went away again! Also, I don't seem to have the ruler function anymore...super frustrating when it changes all of a sudden in the middle of taking notes in class. I love Windows products, but my iPad friends...
  7. Anyone's OneNote revert back to old pen system just now?

Anyone's OneNote revert back to old pen system just now?: Just when I got used to the new OneNote update with the pens-- it went away again! Also, I don't seem to have the ruler function anymore...super frustrating when it changes all of a sudden in the middle of taking notes in class. I love Windows products, but my iPad friends...
  8. OneNote won't back up to OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneNote won't back up to OneDrive: Hello,I've been using Microsoft OneNote and OneDrive for a few years now. When I had all Windows 10 PCs, I had no problem getting OneNote to sync with OneDrive automatically, while I manually copied all of my other files.However, since I've upgraded to Windows 11 PCs, all of...
  9. OneNote won't back up to OneDrive

OneNote won't back up to OneDrive: Hello,I've been using Microsoft OneNote and OneDrive for a few years now. When I had all Windows 10 PCs, I had no problem getting OneNote to sync with OneDrive automatically, while I manually copied all of my other files.However, since I've upgraded to Windows 11 PCs, all of...
  10. Microsoft Store won't open. OneNote reverted back to old icon and I want the new one, not...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store won't open. OneNote reverted back to old icon and I want the new one, not...: [IMG] [ATTACH][ATTACH] Hello, last night, I updated my computer from Windows 10 1803 to 1903 and then I was able to update all my Microsoft Store apps, something I had not been able to do for almost a year since the Windows Update was corrupt before upgrading to 1903. Last...