Windows 10: Backing up Outlook 2016

Discus and support Backing up Outlook 2016 in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I need to do an uninstall of Office 365 (and then reinstall), due to some problems with Office caused by the Win 10 Creators Upgrade. However, I don't... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by fireberd, Apr 18, 2017.

1. fireberd Win User

Backing up Outlook 2016

I need to do an uninstall of Office 365 (and then reinstall), due to some problems with Office caused by the Win 10 Creators Upgrade. However, I don't want to lose my contacts or e-mail folders. I know with old Outlook's (e.g. 2003) there was a pst file that had everything in it. Is there one for the current version? If there is, where is it located? I did a search for *.pst and only came up with an old one I had for Outlook 2003 (I had Office 2003 that was uninstalled a long time ago).

:)

fireberd, Apr 18, 2017

2. Error code 2343 message when trying to repair/remove iCloud - Windows 10

If you have Outlook 2016 - I would suggest that you delete Outlook 2016 and install 2013. This took care of my iCloud issue. My iCloud is now back up and running and refreshed!

JeffreyWood1905, Apr 18, 2017
  3. Setup can't continue because Outlook isn't configured to have a default profile

I have another computer running Office/Outlook 2016 and Icloud 6.1.2.13 and they work fine together syncing contacts and calendars.

I loaded Icloud 6.1.2.13 onto my new computer and try to set it up with Outlook 2016 and I get this same error "Steup cannot continue..."

I am starting to wonder if the problem is in Outlook 2016???

Going back to the 5.2.1 version of Icloud did not work for me.

Any Thoughts?

DonaldTaylor1, Apr 18, 2017
  4. Backing up Outlook 2016

Hi fireberd.

You should be able to go to account settings to find pst file. (File => Account settings on right, click, Account settings)

This opens a windows. Click on the Data Files tab, this should show you all the data files you are using, including any .pst file and their location. OST files are from IMAP email accounts and have information from "Subscribed" folders.

A lot of this is going to depend on the mail service you are using and how you set it up. Outlook.com / hotmail accounts are using EAS (unless you forced to POP or maybe IMAP) and so all you data is on the web and is sync'ed to Outlook 2016. Basically the same for IMAP accounts although I don't believe they sync contacts or calendar. If you are using POP then for sure I would think you would have a PST file.

One sure way to tell, open Outlook 2016 and look in navigation pane (left side) for contacts, calendars and tasks. Take Contacts for example. Beside the work "Contacts" you will see in light grey the words, This Computer only or an email address. If Contacts you are using says on This computer only it means just what it says and you will have to back up.

If when looking at your mail you have and in the navigation pane you have folders under Personal Folders, then again you have a PST file.

Take a look at Data files tab and see what you see there. Then if you could share domain name of email service, gmail, at&t, outlook, then I hope I can help further.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 18, 2017
  5. fireberd Win User
    I'll check. I'm using my ISP's POP e-mail (roadrunner).

fireberd, Apr 18, 2017
  6. Then for sure you should have a PST where you store emails. I would also think a clendar, task and contact folder that all say "This Computer only".

7. fireberd Win User
    I found the file. I copied it. Hopefully the uninstall/reinstall will fix the problems I'm having with Office apps since the CU. One of the problems is when I try to browse the document folder for a MSWord file, it inserts "SkyDrive" in the path then goes to not responding. I didn't have the problem until I did the Creators Upgrade. I even fell back, with a Macrium disc image to before the CU and there were no problems browsing and "SkyDrive" was not in the path. I did the Creators Upgrade again and the problem came back. This PC was upgraded from Win 8 and then 8.1 to Win 10 and probably why SkyDrive is still around (somewhere).

I installed Office 365 on my Insider's Win 10 and there was no problems.

Hopefully the complete uninstall (reboot) install of Office 365 will fix it. If not, the only thing I see left is a complete, clean install of Win 10 which will be a major undertaking as I use the PC for my recording studio and getting all my plug-ins installed and activated will be a huge task. However, I'm going to make another disc image backup before I uninstall Office 365. Just in case that doesn't fix it.

Here is a screenshot of what I get when I try to Browse from any Office app.

Backing up Outlook 2016 [​IMG]

fireberd, Apr 18, 2017
  8. Backing up Outlook 2016

This sounds like a setting issue. I would search Google for where this behavior is being generated.

I think by default Office 365 works from the Cloud, or at least they would like us to work from cloud, and I not sure why they seem to be defaulting to it in CU. Skydrive, that is really old, at least two years.

I look around as well.

Edit 1

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...ad=US&fromAR=1

Not specific to 365 but worth checking.

9. fireberd Win User
    Thanks for the link but that is not the problem. The links were OK before the CU. There is nothing about SkyDrive.

I've been through quite a bit on another thread about this and couldn't resolve it. Apparently because my Win 10 (my production system) is an upgrade from Win 8.1 the SkyDrive is still ingrained in the OS. My Insider installation does not have the problem. I'm down to two options. (1) the Uninstall/Reinstall of Office 365 or a complete clean install. The clean install is a "last resort".

I just finished the Macrium disc image, so off to do the uninstall/reboot/reinstall of Office 365.

fireberd, Apr 19, 2017
  10. fireberd Win User
    Update, the uninstall/reboot/reinstall did not fix the problem.

fireberd, Apr 19, 2017
  11. Interesting that Windows 10 installation would not have addressed the removal of a Windows 8 feature.

I wonder, since your machine still has these links to 8.1, could you google search, or even head to the EightForums and removed Skydrive. I googled quickly and there seems to be lots of articles. I didn't check the EightForums.

Just a thought.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 19, 2017
  12. fireberd Win User
    I'll see what I can find. Tnx

fireberd, Apr 19, 2017
  13. fireberd Win User

Backing up Outlook 2016

I looked at several of those sites and tried the suggestions, none worked and some even made MSWord bomb. I'm going to start assembling everything I need and do a complete "clean" install. It will take a while to get everything I need for my recording studio.

I'm going to mark this solved.

Jack

fireberd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Backing up Outlook 2016

1. Backing up Outlook 2016 - Similar Threads - Backing Outlook 2016

2. Outlook 2016

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Outlook 2016: I just downloaded Office 2016. I am trying to go to the Outlook Page so I can set up the email. Cannot get unto outlook at all. After hitting outlook page it shows it asks to input my email etc. I am at my witts end for the last two days trying to remedy this. Any help...
  3. outlook 2016

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    outlook 2016: all started with send receive error and now after trying to follow instruction nothing works anymore and cant even access old emails, would like to talk with someone. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/outlook-2016/472af38c-67c2-49bb-b2b8-3a3d053804ee
  4. Outlook 2016

in Windows 10 Support
    Outlook 2016: Sorry re posted in office 137379
  5. Outlook 2016

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook 2016: I was given a copy of Outlook 2016 since I could not get my old Outlook 2003 to work on Windows 10. The way it works is really confusing at the moment. Does anyone know of good tutorials to help in learning process? One thing I would like to know right NOW is how to get...
  6. Outlook 2016

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Outlook 2016: I just recently tried to create a new e-mail account. I was unable to do so since the usual screens to input the new e-mail address, incoming and and outgoing server information where not available. This all because of damage caused by the last Win. 10 update ver. 1809. I...
  7. Outlook 2016

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook 2016: This is probably more a Gmail settings question then an Outlook question but here goes. I use Outlook 2016 since it's release with 6 live, outlook accounts and 1 gmail account for years and years. I received an email from Google stating that my gmail account security...
  8. Backing Up And Importing Email Accounts For Outlook 2016 In Office 365

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Backing Up And Importing Email Accounts For Outlook 2016 In Office 365: I'm running Windows 10 Pro x64 on a Dell XPS-17 L702X. I recently cloned, using Acronis TI 2018, my factory installed 500GB primary drive onto a newly purchased 1TB drive. I'm now going to reset the OS. I don't mind reinstalling most application after a reset or clean install...
  9. Outlook 2016

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook 2016: Address book missing from recent upgrade. Attempting to send email I click "TO:" and no address book is showing my list of contacts. Recently transferred from old pc to new pc using WD Passport. Though Passport would transfer all files and data. Cannot locate the Outlook 2016...
  10. Outlook 2016 Password Pop UP

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook 2016 Password Pop UP: Under Win 10 1709 when I open Outlook 2016, it checks each of my three email accounts for mail just fine. But, if I leave it running minimized it ask for my passwords for each of my accounts. I click OK and the pop up goes away. Outlook continues to check for new mail even...