Windows 10: Backing up Registry in Windows 10: Error message indicates failure, but .reg file is created

Discus and support Backing up Registry in Windows 10: Error message indicates failure, but .reg file is created in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I tried to back up my Registry by export before adding an entry, but when I did so, I got an error message saying "cannot export ...... Error writing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by GF1701, May 11, 2019.

1. GF1701 Win User

Backing up Registry in Windows 10: Error message indicates failure, but .reg file is created

I tried to back up my Registry by export before adding an entry, but when I did so, I got an error message

saying "cannot export ...... Error writing the file. There may be a disk or file system error." I tried three times with the same result. However, a .reg file was created by these attempts. I have to assume that that file is not complete, right? Or is the error message likely to be false? Can anyone shed light on what is going on here?

:)

GF1701, May 11, 2019
  2. sralpert Win User

Windows 10 regedit cannot import a reg file

I save a reg file in a directory with no spaces. I want to import back into the Windows 10 registry but receive an error message:

Cannot import <filename>.reg: Error accessing the registry.

I am running as Administrator and have full control.

What's wrong?

/steveA

sralpert, May 11, 2019
  3. Kursah Win User
    BSOD - Registry Error

Your BSOD code is 0X000000051

Here's the Google search I did for it: https://www.google.com/search?q=0x0...j5.399j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

There is a hotfix available that might help, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/810558

This thread makes a few good suggestions too: http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-hel...dows-7-pro-sp1-registry-error-0x00000051.html

+1 to listing your full system specs, OS version, etc. I did only look at your BSOD log file.

Run a Diskchk /R (I know you already ran one, so you can skip this)

Run SFC /SCANNOW

Report back.

Kursah, May 11, 2019
  4. Frogger Win User

Backing up Registry in Windows 10: Error message indicates failure, but .reg file is created

Modded Registry. Want Old Back....

did you try this

To restore the registry
    Open Registry Editor.
    Click Options, and then click Print to print these instructions. (If you are using the Help and Support Center, click Print above the topic area.) They will not be available after you shut down your computer in step 2.
    Click Start, and then click Shut Down.
    In the list, click Restart, and then click OK.
    When you see the message Please select the operating system to start, press F8.
    Use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.
    NUM LOCK must be off before the arrow keys on the numeric keypad will function.

Use the arrow keys to highlight an operating system, and then press ENTER.
    Caution

Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. Before making changes to the registry, you should back up any valued data on your computer.
    Notes

To open Registry Editor, click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    Choosing Last Known Good Configuration provides a way to recover from problems such as a newly added driver that may be incorrect for your hardware. It does not solve problems caused by corrupted or missing drivers or files.
    When you choose Last Known Good Configuration, Windows restores information in registry key HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet only. Any changes you have made in other registry keys remain.

Frogger, May 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Backing up Registry in Windows 10: Error message indicates failure, but .reg file is created - Similar Threads - Backing Registry Error

2. How to create a .reg file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to create a .reg file?: I wanted to know how to create a .reg file in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-a-reg-file/2b6be1e5-3228-47ad-ba44-758e0a97dfc9
  3. How to create a .reg file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to create a .reg file?: I wanted to know how to create a .reg file in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-a-reg-file/2b6be1e5-3228-47ad-ba44-758e0a97dfc9
  4. How to create a .reg file?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Creating a reg file or shortcut.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating a reg file or shortcut.: Is there any way I can create shortcut or reg file to enable/disable a rule of Inbound and Outbound of Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security? submitted by /u/npc73 [link] [comments]...
  6. Modifying Registry with "reg" file

in Windows 10 Support
    Modifying Registry with "reg" file: I exported a HKCU key and saved it as a reg file. I now want to import it to another HDD. Prior to doing this I noticed the properties list in the Receiving system: 1) Contains the same list of items BUT 2) Are in a different order than the exported file. What to confirm...
  7. .reg file error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    .reg file error: Hi,I tried to change windows 10 font style by running a reg file- Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts] "Segoe UI (TrueType)"="" "Segoe UI Bold (TrueType)"="" "Segoe UI Bold Italic (TrueType)"="" "Segoe...
  8. Backing up the Registry in Windows 10 (v1903)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backing up the Registry in Windows 10 (v1903): As I understand it, MS no longer backs up the registry as of v1809 but it can be done manually following the instructions in this short YouTube video; however, this procedure did not work. *Sad According to this MS article, upon reboot a task called RegIdleBackup should be...
  9. Error message in windows 10 "There was a failure in creating a directory on the backup...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error message in windows 10 "There was a failure in creating a directory on the backup...: There was a failure in creating a directory on the backup location in Windows 10 backup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-message-in-windows-10-there-was-a-failure-in/fab4b482-ffbc-4378-a82f-bf21e76db64c
  10. Backing up the registry

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backing up the registry: Is it possible to have the registry backed up on every bootup? If so how do I set it up? Thanks 76122