Windows 10: Backing Up. Specifically the AppData folder

Discus and support Backing Up. Specifically the AppData folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, My current job involves working with a lot of computers. A lot of those involve data transfers from an older PC to a new PC. I've always... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AndrewKrall, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Backing Up. Specifically the AppData folder

Hello,

My current job involves working with a lot of computers. A lot of those involve data transfers from an older PC to a new PC.

I've always been told by everybody there to NOT transfer the AppData folder unless the client knows what they need minecraft saves, certain tax programs store there stuff here, etc.

I recently bought an external HDD that backs up automatically. I recently decided to take a look into it, just out of curiosity.

It seems to be backing up the AppData folder.

The external HDD is by WD. Does anyone know if their software knows what to and what not to pick up in order to not brick the computer? Or is this moreso a question for them?

:)

AndrewKrall, Feb 9, 2020

2. How to access appdata folder

Hi Jaden,

Thank you posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty with the problem.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps.

• Write in the search box the following: “%appdata%” .
    • After the search is finished left click or tap on the folder that the search feature found.
    • If it takes you to the following path: “C:\Users\The user that you are logged in with\AppData\Roaming”.
    • It means that your folders are still there but they are hidden.
    • Click on “View”.
    • Check the box “Hidden items”
    Also you refer to the below link.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-appdata-folder

Note: Above link also refers to the Windows 10.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Feb 9, 2020
  3. deleted AppData Account Picture file

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you with it.

I suggest you to refer the following Microsoft help article to about AppData folder.

What is the AppData folder?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-appdata-folder

Note: This link is also applicable to Windows 10 as well.

I suggest you to perform System Restore on your computer and check if you are able to get back the AppData folder.

System Restore brings a system to an operable condition after a disaster so that it can again accept and process data.

To perform System Restore follow the step provided below.

• Press Windows Key + R Key
    • Type rstrui and press Enter.

Hope this resolves your issue. Do let us know if it helped. For further assistance, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Feb 9, 2020
  4. Xylee Del Win User

Backing Up. Specifically the AppData folder

AppData Roaming Files on single use computer

To research further about this concern, kindly answer the following questions for clarification:

• About the roaming function, do you wish to prevent Windows 10 from storing files on the AppData>Roaming folder?
    • If not, do you wish to delete some files on the AppData folder?

Kindly specify which kind of configuration you wish to perform. Meanwhile, we suggest that you check this

thread
    and see if it helps.

Kindly get back to us so we can assist you further.

Xylee Del, Feb 9, 2020
Thema:

Backing Up. Specifically the AppData folder

1. Backing Up. Specifically the AppData folder - Similar Threads - Backing Specifically AppData

2. AppData Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    AppData Folder: I can't download some things because i accidentally deleted the AppData folder. Any ideas how to get the folder back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/appdata-folder/6ac62255-4077-47ca-9bb8-4b33fd688bbe
  3. AppData Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AppData Folder: I can't download some things because i accidentally deleted the AppData folder. Any ideas how to get the folder back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/appdata-folder/6ac62255-4077-47ca-9bb8-4b33fd688bbe
  4. AppData Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Software for routinely backing up a specific folder to an external drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Software for routinely backing up a specific folder to an external drive?: I’m looking for something that will routinely copy files from a source folder onto an external backup drive. Ideally the backup drive would be formatted the same way as the source folder, as opposed to creating some backup file that needs to be processed in software to be...
  6. Deleting Folders In AppData

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleting Folders In AppData: I asked this question in another subreddit already but I wanted some extra opinions just to be safe. So I uninstalled Zoom months ago because I didn’t want to use it on my laptop and I generally didn’t trust it. However, after looking through my laptops folders for other...
  7. an "AppData" folder problem!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    an "AppData" folder problem!: Hello there, recently, i was looking in the AppData folder and it's subfolder (under my user directory) and suddenly i came across with an strange thing! I fund some folders of some old applications i used to use back in days which i uninstalled them 5 month ago and i no...
  8. Moving Appdata folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Appdata folder: I am looking to move the Appdata folder within my user file. I have tried previously to move it(changing the location of the files inside it)and it caused system hangs and a loss of the start menu. Ive also tried to do the old method of running though audit mode and that...
  9. Curious appdata folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Curious appdata folders: This is just a 'for curiosity' enquiry as the disk in question is out of service due to bad block errors. Under appdata\Local there are 1244 empty folders like below - wonder how they got there? 51606
  10. Clear up AppData folder/s

in Windows 10 Support
    Clear up AppData folder/s: Hi, Does anybody know of any application that can cross-check your registry and/or Program Files folder with the appdata folder to delete any folders to programs that no longer exist on your pc.? I have a 128GB SSD and I'm trying to get rid of alot of space because it...