Windows 10: Backing up the OneDrive folder...

Discus and support Backing up the OneDrive folder... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello guys, I am trying to create a local backup for my OneDrive folder on my external hard drive. Here is the problem: My OneDrive folder is about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Backing up the OneDrive folder...

Hello guys,

I am trying to create a local backup for my OneDrive folder on my external hard drive. Here is the problem:

My OneDrive folder is about 800 GB in size, but most of them are only placeholder files on my device online-only files for which a placeholder has been created on the local machine by OneDrive. The actual size of files on my disk is just about 25 GB. I just want to back up these files that are actually residing on the disk. But I am unable to copy them as Windows shows an error:

Backing up the OneDrive folder... 4062a187-d1c1-4aa1-9aaf-45406b0399a3?upload=true.png

Windows sees the total size of files in the OneDrive folder as about 800 GB, and not 25 GB. So I tried using my excellent Backup software https://personal-backup.rathlev-home.de/index-e.html to backup this folder.

This brings up another problem - this program tries to download all the files from OneDrive and then back them up to the external drive. I don't want this either, so I blocked the app from doing so using the Automatic File Download setting built into Windows. This led me to a problem with this tool:

Backing up the OneDrive folder... d618199c-bda5-4226-8754-c183aa3963ef?upload=true.png

As you can see, this setting doesn't list which apps have been blocked. So there is no way to selectively allow some apps and block others from automatically downloading files from OneDrive. There is no setting within the OneDrive app either. May be this particular thing should go as a feedback to Microsoft/ Windows/ OneDrive.

So is there a way I can backup just the local files inside the OneDrive folder?

Thanks.

:)

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Jun 13, 2020

2. onedrive duplicating my folders...

Hi.

Again, onedrive is going crazy and is duplicating my main folder, full of subfolders. It's locking me out of all my files. I have windows 10, Office 365 home. I paused synch at the moment before I have 1000 copy of my folder, which I can't open anyway!
    Please don't ask me any question that will further delay the repair. Simply give me a step by step solution and then improve onedrive so this won't happen again to so many of us. I suggest you also add "onedrive" in the list of "Windows Topics" below since
    thousands of users have issues with it.

Thanks

Michel

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Michel Chiangmai, Jun 13, 2020
  3. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Jun 13, 2020
  4. Backing up the OneDrive folder...

OneDrive Temp Folder

Hi,

Thank you contacting Microsoft Community.

• What is the size of both OneDrive and OneDrive Temp folder?
    • Is all files syncing to OneDrive Temp folder or any specific files/folders?
    Get back to us with the required information to assist you further.

Sudheendra S, Jun 13, 2020
Thema:

Backing up the OneDrive folder...

1. Backing up the OneDrive folder... - Similar Threads - Backing OneDrive folder

2. OneDrive backs up folders but not the files inside of them.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive backs up folders but not the files inside of them.: About a week ago I prepared my system to fully clear the drive and reinstall windows, and before this, I had assured myself that I had backed up important files, pictures, etc.I had grouped everything important into a folder and left it to upload overnight, came back the next...
  3. Backing up the OneDrive folder to an external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backing up the OneDrive folder to an external drive: Hello,I am using Windows 11 with two drives: one for the OS and software, the other for personal files. I also use OneDrive to store my files online. The OneDrive folder is on my second non-OS drive, and I have set it so all the files are also available locally.I want to...
  4. Backing up the OneDrive folder to an external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backing up the OneDrive folder to an external drive: Hello,I am using Windows 11 with two drives: one for the OS and software, the other for personal files. I also use OneDrive to store my files online. The OneDrive folder is on my second non-OS drive, and I have set it so all the files are also available locally.I want to...
  5. Restoring folders and apps on desktop backed up with OneDrive

Restoring folders and apps on desktop backed up with OneDrive: I backed up my desktop folders and some apps with OneDrive. Though after the back up I unlink my pc from the drive, so when I am trying to create a new folder to desktop they all disappear with the old ones. I can still find all these folders and apps in OneDrive but the...
  6. Automatically backing up folders on D: drive to OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatically backing up folders on D: drive to OneDrive: I'm sorry, but OneDrive is NOT intuitive or friendly. I've searched the web for answers to this question but so far, nothing has been helpful. Microsoft REALLY isn't helpful with anything involving drives other than C:. Many people have additional drives to store data and...
  7. Automatically backing up folders on D: drive to OneDrive

Automatically backing up folders on D: drive to OneDrive: I'm sorry, but OneDrive is NOT intuitive or friendly. I've searched the web for answers to this question but so far, nothing has been helpful. Microsoft REALLY isn't helpful with anything involving drives other than C:. Many people have additional drives to store data and...
  8. File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder: Goal: Create a backup of all of my Documents onto an external hard drive.I've had some problems with OneDrive missing or overwriting revisions of Word and Excel documents I work with on my laptop. I am the only one who works on these files. I do a lot of Ctrl-S and Save As as...
  9. File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder

File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder: Goal: Create a backup of all of my Documents onto an external hard drive.I've had some problems with OneDrive missing or overwriting revisions of Word and Excel documents I work with on my laptop. I am the only one who works on these files. I do a lot of Ctrl-S and Save As as...
  10. File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade