Windows 10: backing up to a thumb drive

Discus and support backing up to a thumb drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; i asked some time back about doing backup and some gave me different ways to do this. i picked karan's backup and i did a dozen or so backups testing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by corvairbob, Feb 13, 2020.

1. backing up to a thumb drive

i asked some time back about doing backup and some gave me different ways to do this. i picked karan's backup and i did a dozen or so backups testing that program. then i got a 2tb thumb drive off ebay and last night i formatted it and ran that backup sith that program and it looked to do a good backup/copy. then i formatted the stick and then ran the backup again and this time i let it run until it finished. i heard the pc chime so i figured the backup was done so i left the stick in the port and this morning the pc was off, i pulled the stick out and restarted the pc and i had to re register the pc to yahoo and my bank and ebay. i did not do a reset to clear my browser usage, but then just now i put the stick back in the port and on the right side it shows the drive but it did not show it like the other drive as having any size to it.

also the left pane where you see the new drives show up when installed never did show. then for some reason the network now show the folders that i was backing up to the stick. under readyshare but i do not have any devices connected to this.

so does anyone have an idea as to why this may have happened? now that 2tb stick is no good. this is the 3rd stick i have lost to doing backup to thumb drives. they work to usb hard drives. so is it bad to use thumb drives as backup drives? thanks

:)

corvairbob, Feb 13, 2020

2. Cannot access thumb drive.

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

What happens when you plug the thumb drive?

Do you receive any error code or error message?

Have you checked it with another thumb drive?

Try removing and reinserting it again.

Also make sure that the AutoPlay option is
    enabled
    on your computer. Follow the steps provided below:

• Press Windows + X key.

• Select Control panel.

• Double click on AutoPlay option.

• Check on the box, Use AutoPlay for all media and devices.

Ensure that all chipset drivers from the device manager(Press Windows + X and select device manager)

are up to date and also run the hardware troubleshooter if the issue still persist.

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.

• Click view all in the left panel.

• Select ‘Hardware and devices' and follow the on-screen instructions.
    Hope this helps. Get back to us if you still face the issue with thumb drive. We are here to assist you.

Joy Kemprai, Feb 13, 2020
  3. Can a thumb drive be disabled by malware?

There are quite a few possibilities to what happened to your thumb drive:

1. It might be a simple issue where the partition got corrupted: In this case you can go to Computer Management > Disk Management> and check out what partition your thumb drive currently has. If it currently is in RAW format or is just unallocated, I suggest you unallocate the entire drive and make a new partition. It's possible that you can recover upto 99% of your files with a tool like EaseUS DataRecovery Wizard Pro.
    2. The malware corrupted your thumb drive's firmware: The malware that your thumb drive may have encountered may be similar to something like BadUSB. It may or may not have modified your drive's firmware to transmit malware, but in any case your thumb drive's pretty dead, and there's not much you can do about it.

Don't Root here plz..., Feb 13, 2020
  4. backing up to a thumb drive

Help Me Pick a Thumb Drive

I have recently lost my favorite thumb drive. It was only 1gb, and about a 3 years old. I now need a new one with the following requirements:

• 4 - 8 gb
    • Will be carried on a keychain in pocket for 10 hours in a day (MUST BE STRONG)
    • Must be relatively fast
    • Under $90
    I trust you guys can help me with this. Also, I want to order it from Newegg preferably.

Edit: Also I am going to grab this tonight, as school without a thumb drive is painful.

PVTCaboose1337, Feb 13, 2020
Thema:

backing up to a thumb drive

1. backing up to a thumb drive - Similar Threads - backing thumb drive

2. Thumbs Up/Down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Thumbs Up/Down: since you've removed the THUMBS down.... why don't you hide the thumbs up too? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thumbs-updown/0b9494f3-2dd1-4f73-b726-12005548b0e0
  3. how do I recover user files from back up thumb drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I recover user files from back up thumb drive?: how do I recover user files from back up thumb drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-recover-user-files-from-back-up-thumb/8dc80412-ac35-46a9-bc9b-a1bf2e6ffb72
  4. how do I recover user files from back up thumb drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do I recover user files from back up thumb drive?: how do I recover user files from back up thumb drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-recover-user-files-from-back-up-thumb/8dc80412-ac35-46a9-bc9b-a1bf2e6ffb72
  5. how do I recover user files from back up thumb drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Usb Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Usb Thumb Drive: Earlier today my thumb drive was working fine but now when I plug it in to view it it only shows up in files for a few seconds then disappears. In devices it says that it is connected but won't let me view files. I also tried it on a chrome book but would not work. Any ways...
  7. Formatting a Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting a Thumb Drive: Just bought a new laptop with Windows 10 and MS Office 365. I tried to format a thumb drive but when I select File Explorer, all I get is a list of files I've recently opened. I do not see the Thumb Drive. Doesn't matter if I select any files in the Recent Folder, I don't see...
  8. Thumb Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Thumb Drives: How do I use a thumb drive to transfer data from Windows 7 to Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thumb-drives/8b697fba-9f37-417b-a867-1443e9150438
  9. Sorting photos backed up to a flash/thumb drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sorting photos backed up to a flash/thumb drive in Windows 10: Why can't I sort pictures backed up on a flash/thumb drive by date taken (it only allows date created which is not the same) using Windows 10 file explorer sort function? I can sort them when on the traditional hard drive (HDD) and or SSD on the compute but once backed up to...
  10. thumb drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    thumb drives: Upgraded to windows 10, plugged in a thumb drive but have no idea how to open the drive 27165