Windows 10: Backspace deleting whole words instead of 1 letter.

Discus and support Backspace deleting whole words instead of 1 letter. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've had this issue for about a year now. And it comes and goes.. I have a razer ornate chroma keyboard. And when i press backspace it deletes the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Ryan_ohm, May 27, 2020.

1. Ryan_ohm Win User

Backspace deleting whole words instead of 1 letter.

I've had this issue for about a year now. And it comes and goes..
    I have a razer ornate chroma keyboard.
    And when i press backspace it deletes the whole word instead of just 1 letter.
    I've tried all i can do and research but ive come up with nothing.
    pressing ctrl or pause break or pressing them all together doesnt seem to fix or unstick the ctrl keys.
    ive tried reinstalling my keyboard drivers as well.
    when i go to my on screen keyboard and i press backspace i can see that it is also pressing down both ctrl keys with it.
    What can i do?

:)

Ryan_ohm, May 27, 2020
  2. ifconfig Win User

Make Ctrl+Backspace delete previous word in Windows Explorer

I love how in text editors and internet browsers the Ctrl+Backspace hotkey will delete the previous word typed. It is a feature I use a lot. However, I keep accidentally trying to use it in Windows Explorer, where it just does this:

Backspace deleting whole words instead of 1 letter. 6qJ84.png

It adds a little rectangular character instead of deleting the previous word. Is there any way I can make Windows Explorer accept the Ctrl+Backspace like I want it to?

I saw this Superuser question, but the solution involved the use of AutoHotkey, something I would like to avoid using.

ifconfig, May 27, 2020
  3. Backspace navigates instead of deleting files

I am getting very frustrated by this, but I can't find any settings that seem to be responsible.

When I am looking in a folder and try to delete a file, I select the file and press "backspace" but instead of deleting the file I navigate to the folder above the one I'm in.

How do I change it so that backspace actually deletes the file, like how it works on every windows computer I've used for the last twenty years?

Caleb Child, May 27, 2020
  4. Backspace deleting whole words instead of 1 letter.

Pressing Backspace deletes a letter from left as well as from right

When I press the backspace button, anything on either side starts to delete as it would normally. So if I have to correct something and I press backspace it deletes a letter to the left and the right each time I press it

***Modified title from: Backspace button***

MaddieNewman, May 27, 2020
Thema:

Backspace deleting whole words instead of 1 letter.

1. Backspace deleting whole words instead of 1 letter. - Similar Threads - Backspace deleting whole

2. My backspace is not working on word

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My backspace is not working on word: I was trying to sort out my bullet point settings and have done something to my backspace settings inadvertently I think. I can backspace to delete words on the same line, but cannot backspace to go to the previous line. Does anyone know how I can fix this?...
  3. My backspace is not working on word

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My backspace is not working on word: I was trying to sort out my bullet point settings and have done something to my backspace settings inadvertently I think. I can backspace to delete words on the same line, but cannot backspace to go to the previous line. Does anyone know how I can fix this?...
  4. My backspace is not working on word

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Backspace key only deletes one letter at a time in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Backspace key only deletes one letter at a time in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]In this post, we will see what you should do if the Backspace key only deletes one letter at a time on your Windows 11/10 device. The backspace key is used for correction while editing a document. When you press it, the cursor starts moving backward and deleting the...
  6. Backspace is deleting entire words instead of individual spaces. Cant ID the problem anywhere.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Backspace is deleting entire words instead of individual spaces. Cant ID the problem anywhere.: As title says, regardless of application, I'm experiencing this issue seemingly permanently. Up until a few days ago a single Backspace tap would delete one character, now pressing it once will delete entire collections of letters AND a "space" i.e. "-WORD" or "WORD-". I...
  7. Ctrl+Backspace inserts a small box instead of erasing the word to the left

in Windows 10 Customization
    Ctrl+Backspace inserts a small box instead of erasing the word to the left: It used to delete the word to the left of the cursor in explorer.exe web browsers, etc. I was thinking it might have been my english canada language pack so I re installed english us but that didnt work any suiggestions?...
  8. Rectangles instead of letters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Rectangles instead of letters: on windows version 1903 (OS Build 18970.1005) I have rectangles on the settings page where I should be able to see my bluetooth and other devices and printers and scanners page. I tried deleting the font cache and reinstalling the fonts as I was told by Microsoft that it...
  9. Pressing Backspace deletes a letter from left as well as from right

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Pressing Backspace deletes a letter from left as well as from right: When I press the backspace button, anything on either side starts to delete as it would normally. So if I have to correct something and I press backspace it deletes a letter to the left and the right each time I press it ***Modified title from: Backspace button***...
  10. Backspace key changing last letter to x and then not deleting further

in Windows 10 Support
    Backspace key changing last letter to x and then not deleting further: A setting has been changed (I suspect by my 3 year old) and now whenever I press the backspace key it changes the last icon to x and then won't delete any further. It means I'm having to highlight everything to delete what needs changing. I've checked keyboard functions...