Windows 10: Backup Aborted-Macrium unable to back up disk

Discus and support Backup Aborted-Macrium unable to back up disk in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; After working fine for several months, Macrium Reflect Free is unable to back up my 4tb data drive. I have run disk check from the command line, run... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by davwilli, Dec 7, 2018.

1. davwilli Win User

Backup Aborted-Macrium unable to back up disk

After working fine for several months, Macrium Reflect Free is unable to back up my 4tb data drive. I have run disk check from the command line, run Western Digital Lifeguard diagnostics, Crucial diagnostics, still no luck. No problems with windows or third party software reading and writing to the drive, only Macrium has the problem. Plenty of free space on the target drive. The backup runs to about 98% complete, then aborts and shows an error pop-up. Any ideas?

The error message from the log file reads:

Backup aborted! - Unable to read
    from disk - Error Code 23 - Data error (cyclic redundancy
    check).

Windows 10 Pro
    Intel Core i5
    16 GB Ram
    225 GB Crucial SSD System drive
    4 TB Western Digital Black Data drive
    8 TB Western Digital MyBook USB Back-up drive
    On Board intel Graphics

:)

davwilli, Dec 7, 2018
  2. JoAnnXO Win User

Backup not working

Yes, with Macrium. Here's what it displayed:

Backup aborted. Unable to read from disk

Error code 23 - Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

JoAnnXO, Dec 7, 2018
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Backup Aborted-Macrium unable to back up disk [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Dec 7, 2018
  4. Backup Aborted-Macrium unable to back up disk

Unaddressed error in Macrium Reflect Free causing backup aborted

I have the latest version of Macrium Reflect Free and have used it successfully create Full and Differential backups but i removed the external usb hdd to do a backup on another pc recently and when the scheduled backup tried to run it had no destination drive to use so I reattached the drive, deleted the schedules and started again but now i get this message just trying to run the first Full backup:

Backup aborted! - Unable to read from disk - Error Code 21 - The device is not ready.

This error message is not listed anywhere in the Reflect forum nor does it come up with a search of the forums.

Can anybody help me out with this? Here is the summary:

Image ID - D4CE26B996B3AA27

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Imaging Summary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Backup Definition File: e:\djhardway\onedrive\documents\reflect\mybackup_differential.xml
    Auto Verify: Y
    Maximum File Size: Automatic
    Compression: Medium
    Password: N
    Intelligent Copy: Y
    Power Saving: N
    Email On Success: N
    Email On Failure: N
    Total Selected: 53.56 GB

Destination:
    Backup Type: Full
    File Name: J:\studio1745_backups\Reflect_backups\D4CE26B996B3AA27-00-00.mrimg

Operation 1 of 2
    Hard Disk: 1
    Drive Letter: N/A
    File System: NTFS
    Label: System Reserved
    Size: 500.0 MB
    Free: 113.6 MB
    Used: 386.4 MB

Operation 2 of 2
    Hard Disk: 1
    Drive Letter: C
    File System: NTFS
    Label:
    Size: 111.30 GB
    Free: 58.12 GB
    Used: 53.18 GB

Starting Image - Tuesday, May 09, 2017 15:27:31
    Initializing
    Destination Drive: Seagate ST950042 Ext USB HDD (JBackup Aborted-Macrium unable to back up disk :) - Free Space 207.67 GB
    Free space threshold: Delete oldest backup sets when free space is less than 5.00 GB

Creating Volume Snapshot - Please Wait
    Volume Snapshots Created

Saving Partition - System Reserved
    Reading File System Bitmap
    Saving Partition

Saving Partition - (CBackup Aborted-Macrium unable to back up disk :)
    Reading File System Bitmap
    Saving Partition
    Gathering Windows Events - Please Wait

Backup aborted! - Unable to read from disk - Error Code 21 - The device is not ready.

I/O Performance: Read 589.1 Mb/s - Write 167.8 Mb/s

Macrium Reflect Free Edition for non-commercial use v6.3.1745 - 35-TKY6-X5KM-FP8T-B7DE-WTMV-7CFFVXS

I am attaching the VSS log file from this backup as well...

Thanks,

Danny R

djrobison22, Dec 7, 2018
Thema:

Backup Aborted-Macrium unable to back up disk

1. Backup Aborted-Macrium unable to back up disk - Similar Threads - Backup Aborted Macrium

2. Unable to make back up with Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Unable to make back up with Macrium Reflect: I've been trying for a couple of weeks to make my first backup with Macrium but it always fails. Ppl suggested it was because I was using a USB hub however I have now tried without the hub and still no success. I keep receiving; Backup aborted'7E8326625D1F7602-00-00.mrimg'...
  3. back up disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    back up disk: I lost some files on my laptop and want to use my backup disk too reinstall them how do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-up-disk/542c60ef-951f-4f8b-9456-8c02ac76d61b
  4. Macrium unable to browse backup

Macrium unable to browse backup: When I try to browse my current Macrium full image backup nothing happens. After selecting the backup file, clicking Browse Backup, and selecting the drive letter all I get is a small window that shows the backup file info, and then just disappears. The backup file is not...
  5. Unable to create backup in Macrium Reflect Free

Unable to create backup in Macrium Reflect Free: I have been stuck for a long time trying to make a backup of a newly created Disk Image. Whatever changes I make to the address of the destination folder I get a popup saying the 'destination folder path is contained within the Image'. I don't know what this means or what to...
  6. Unable to browse Macrium backup

Unable to browse Macrium backup: I am running Win10/64 Home Ver. 1903 Build 18362.145 with no problems. I just discovered Macrium Reflect Ver. 7.2.4228 will not allow me to browse my backup files. I get all the proper dialogs, but when I click the C: image to browse nothing happens other than a 5 sec. window...
  7. Unaddressed error in Macrium Reflect Free causing backup aborted

Unaddressed error in Macrium Reflect Free causing backup aborted: I have the latest version of Macrium Reflect Free and have used it successfully create Full and Differential backups but i removed the external usb hdd to do a backup on another pc recently and when the scheduled backup tried to run it had no destination drive to use so I...
  8. Macrium installation & backup

Macrium installation & backup: Hello Forum, An hour ago I installed Macrium, after instl. it made (burned) a rescue dvd. I am trying to make my first backup to the system, but first I want to consult with my 'teachers', After installation please see screenshot "macrium - 01.jpg", there are 2 disks, C:...
  9. install macrium back-up

install macrium back-up: last night i reset my computer to as new when bought condition and i forgot i had the macrium backup, is it still possible to use the back-up and get everything back from three weeks ago? all programs that were not on the computer when bought are gone. all help and info...
  10. Macrium backup

Macrium backup: I have made a backup of my hard drive from my old computer with macruim reflect. It is a backup of a few installed applications and software packages but more importantly it is a copy of windows 10 professional with digital entitlement. I plan to buy a new laptop and am...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. macium reflect error 23 cyclic redundency check

2. Backup aborted! - Unable to read from disk - Error Code 23 - Data error (cyclic redundancy check

3. macrium reflect Backup aborted! unable to read from disk - error code 23 - data error

4. Backup aborted! - Unable to read from disk - Error Code 23 - Data error (cyclic redundancy check).,
  5. macrium reflect backup failure: unable to read from disk