Windows 10: Backup advice for a laptop and desktop

Discus and support Backup advice for a laptop and desktop in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am looking for an affordable backup system for two Windows computers. I have a laptop with Windows 10 and a desktop with Windows 7. I'd like to find... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Pete27540, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Pete27540 Win User

Backup advice for a laptop and desktop

I am looking for an affordable backup system for two Windows computers. I have a laptop with Windows 10 and a desktop with Windows 7. I'd like to find a non-cloud external drive and the software to make it happen. What I'm thinking is a 2 or 4 TB drive that I could divide into 4 partitions. Each of the computers would have access to two partitions, a partition with a mirror image, and separate partitions for daily updates. Is this feasible? Can windows software set this up or is there a third party program you are familiar with that can help me get this to work.
    Thanks very much for your suggestions.

:)

Pete27540, Apr 4, 2016
  2. james_136 Win User

windows 10 delets files when transferred in windows 7

I am having trouble with a fresh install of windows 10 on a laptop. The laptop was wiped and reinstalled with a clean install onto it but before i wiped it i done a backup af the data onto my computer which is windows 7. so after i installed windows 10 and
    it was fully up and running i shut the laptop down and i put the laptop harddrive back into the windows 7 computer and copied and paste the backup folder to the desktop folder of the windows 10 and when i put the harddrive back into the laptop and i look
    into the desktop folder the backup folder is gone so i put the harddrive back into the windows 7 computer and i copy and paste the backup folder in the root of the c: and i put it back into the laptop and the folder is not there. I am wondering is there any
    advice or suggestions in what i am doing wrong

Thakns

james_136, Apr 4, 2016
  3. Windows 10 dissapeared

Hi,

I bought laptop with Windows 10 inside already. Yesterday when wanted to shut down I couldn't because there was no Windows 10 no more? It disappeared is it possible? What to do? I don't want to take it back because good only knows what they will do and what
    state will be my laptop when back.

I have nothing, empty laptop now. Even no Windows10 icon on a desktop?!

I wasn't given any recovery or backup stick.

Please help and advice on that.

Many thanks.

Monika

MonikaArtur, Apr 4, 2016
  4. tacoban Win User

Acronis true image
    I think it will do what you want. I've never used it, but I know this is for this kind of purpose.

tacoban, Apr 4, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    Acronis TI is bloatware - enormous- and not free. Used to be good.

See Macrium Reflect (free) - recommended by many here. There are others, of course.. Easeus, Aomei...

But you may be looking for more sophisticated file backup than these might offer, being primarily disk imaging programs.

Please file free to search the forum (search box above) for backup etc.. eg.
    Free file backup software - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

- there are various threads discussing this.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2016
  6. telepro21 Win User
    I have been a user of Macrium Reflect for a couple of years now.
    Absolutely painless and reliable backup software solution.
    I started with the free version but now I am a licensed user and this helps to easily keep you up to date for software-patches and new core distributions.

I use this to image my OS and to backup important files on a scheduled or on-demand basis.

I use external USB hard drives as my backup storage locations. 1 5TB and 1 3TB.

telepro21, Apr 4, 2016
  7. Pete27540 Win User
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm new to this.
    Pete

Pete27540, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Backup advice for a laptop and desktop - Similar Threads - Backup advice laptop

2. Advice on where to save Aoemi Backups

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Advice on where to save Aoemi Backups: I have just installed an update to my AOEMI BACKUPPER program. Before I update my Backups I would appreciate some advice. I see my current Backup, at over 20 GB takes up quite a lot of space on my C Drive. Is there any reason why I should not delete it and just keep the...
  3. Advice for free backup software with incremental backup capability?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Advice for free backup software with incremental backup capability?: I've tried Easeus, AOMEI, and a few others, but can't figure out how to do an incremental backup. Basically I'd like to either backup my Disk or just the files and folders on my C:/ drive, and have the ability to do an incremental backup every week or so. Easeus says free...
  4. Backup strategy advice

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Backup strategy advice: Hi there, I would like to ask some of you for advice on how to make better backups for my Windows 10 PC. Right now I have the file history tool set up for important things like documents and such. However, there's also some stuff that I don't need to be saved in multiple...
  5. Backup Advice.

Backup Advice.: Hi, I need some backup advice. I have a WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra 2x4TB (RAID 1) storage and was wondering if I would need any other sort of backup device so I don't lose my valuable data? Maybe another NAS or an extra SSD 4TB? 141789
  6. Laptop buying advice

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop buying advice: I am considering these two laptops for my younger brother who is planning to launch his own youtube channel and want to edit videos. We have a budget constraint of 36000 INR. Which one would be better from the following models? One laptop has a better CPU while the other one...
  7. Backup Advice, I'm Confused

Backup Advice, I'm Confused: Windows includes a number of backup tools. Onedrive and to an external hard drive. I've notice some go to OneDriveand others to my external hard drive. Should I use both types of back ups or just one? With earlier PC's everything was backed up to my external hard drive. If I...
  8. Documents Backup advice

Documents Backup advice: Can anyone suggest a simple to use free programme to backup my documents folder to an external drive. Just a simple copy all documents and then any changes to the backed up folder, every hour. There seems so many to choose from and to be honest I am no computer expert and...
  9. backup tutorial/advice needed

backup tutorial/advice needed: i need to backup my complete pc as i am going to install the windows 10 preview. the trouble is that i havent got a usb hard drive. so how do i do this and what software do i use to do this? 2354
  10. advice on buying a laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    advice on buying a laptop: Hello looking for a laptop, netbook etc....for my wife, for general browsing and basic office work....needs to be 32bit to run money matters..... only other criteria is it must be light as possible....not a glossy screen.....would like something reliable also not...