Windows 10: Backup Advice.

Discus and support Backup Advice. in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi, I need some backup advice. I have a WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra 2x4TB (RAID 1) storage and was wondering if I would need any other sort of backup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by kuyenmotdivad, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Backup Advice.

Hi,

I need some backup advice.

I have a WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra 2x4TB (RAID 1) storage and was wondering if I would need any other sort of backup device so I don't lose my valuable data?

Maybe another NAS or an extra SSD 4TB?

:)

kuyenmotdivad, Oct 3, 2019

2. Backup using file history

Thanks Robeline

I was going by other advice and articles that suggest that backing up under Update and security/backup is now the way to go. I will try your suggestion.

Doug

DougWalsh1, Oct 3, 2019
  3. DavidY Win User
    Newbie needs advice moving Win8.1 ==> Win10

In your shoes I would
    1. Take a backup of the OS drive with Macrium Reflect, as suggested
    2. Download the ISO and do an Upgrade install (step 7 in this tutorial)
    Macrium gives you a way back if the upgrade doesn't work, and I also think that doing an Upgrade install is probably likely to be your quickest route to being activated on Windows 10 by the deadline.

Once activated, you can consider doing a clean install later but without the time pressure.

DavidY, Oct 3, 2019
  4. Geekoid Win User

Backup Advice.

Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Oct 3, 2019
Thema:

Backup Advice.

1. Backup Advice. - Similar Threads - Backup Advice

2. File History / Backup Restore of old files not possible?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History / Backup Restore of old files not possible?: I have the following problem / question: I use "Back up using File History" to backup all important files (documents, etc.) on my PC. I got 2 external drives. One of them I placed into the Safe Deposit Box at my local bank about a month ago (with the status as per that...
  3. Current remote backup service advice please!

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Current remote backup service advice please!: I'm afraid i have not kept up with all the changes that keep happening; as my doctor used to say 25 years ago, i'm getting old... Though i think i am fairly good at being careful, sooner or later i will click on the wrong thing or visit the wrong website, and even if i...
  4. Advice regarding dual system image backups via Windows 10 and Macrium?

Advice regarding dual system image backups via Windows 10 and Macrium?: I want to make system image backups of my main hard drive, using both the built-in Windows Backup and Restore program (I have Windows 10 Professional) and Macrium Reflect Free. I want to use both, in case I would have trouble restoring from one or the other. I have both a...
  5. My Custom Made Backup and Restore: Advice please

My Custom Made Backup and Restore: Advice please: My new computer (8 GB RAM, i5) has Windows 10, which I like, but I am having trouble getting to grips with its “Backup and Restore (Windows 7)” Control Panel setup, which seems to offer many more options on what to include in a backup compared to my discarded Windows 7...
  6. Backup Advice, I'm Confused

Backup Advice, I'm Confused: Windows includes a number of backup tools. Onedrive and to an external hard drive. I've notice some go to OneDriveand others to my external hard drive. Should I use both types of back ups or just one? With earlier PC's everything was backed up to my external hard drive. If I...
  7. Backup advice for a laptop and desktop

Backup advice for a laptop and desktop: I am looking for an affordable backup system for two Windows computers. I have a laptop with Windows 10 and a desktop with Windows 7. I'd like to find a non-cloud external drive and the software to make it happen. What I'm thinking is a 2 or 4 TB drive that I could divide...
  8. Documents Backup advice

Documents Backup advice: Can anyone suggest a simple to use free programme to backup my documents folder to an external drive. Just a simple copy all documents and then any changes to the backed up folder, every hour. There seems so many to choose from and to be honest I am no computer expert and...
  9. backup tutorial/advice needed

backup tutorial/advice needed: i need to backup my complete pc as i am going to install the windows 10 preview. the trouble is that i havent got a usb hard drive. so how do i do this and what software do i use to do this? 2354
  10. Multiple System Images using Backup & Restore - advice?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Multiple System Images using Backup & Restore - advice?: I have a requirement for a machine that can easily be reimaged to various versions of Windows (all 32 bit). This PC gets lent out, to be reimaged on return. It is also used as a reference machine for support purposes, so the systems should be 'pure' Microsoft (meaning Backup...