Windows 10: backup and "file history drive is disconnected"

Discus and support backup and "file history drive is disconnected" in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Cannot backup due to "file history drive is disconnected", cannot even manual backup even though File Explorer shows external drive is active.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Rusty17, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Rusty17 Win User

backup and "file history drive is disconnected"

Cannot backup due to "file history drive is disconnected", cannot even manual backup even though File Explorer shows external drive is active.

:)

Rusty17, Feb 14, 2020
  2. Junaid_A Win User

Disconnect and reconnect File History drive

Hi David,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To stop file history using a drive, you can try the steps listed below.

Ideally, File History will save copies of your files every hour, so disconnecting and reconnecting the backup drive every hour would be a tedious task. However, if you still would like to go for it, you may try the steps listed
    below.

• Open Settings and go to Update & Security > Backup using File History.
    • Scroll down to Backup to a different drive
      and choose Stop using the drive to disconnect the drive.
    • Later, when you would like to reconnect, go to
      Settings
      >
      Update & security>
      Backup>
      Add a drive to reconnect the drive.

Additional Info: Use File History to backup and restore
    in Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Feb 14, 2020
  3. File History drive

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform you that if your File History drive has been disconnected for too long, or it doesn't have enough space to save temporary versions of your files. To continue saving copies of your files, you'll need to reconnect your File History drive.
    Plug in your external File History drive or reselect your network. You can start a backup manually or wait for the next scheduled backup or reselect the drive. Here is the steps:

To manually start a backup

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Back up now.

To reselect your drive

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Select drive.

• On the Select a File History drive page, tap or click your current drive or network location, and then tap or click
      OK.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you need more help and we'll be glad to assist.

Navneet Anand, Feb 14, 2020
  4. backup and "file history drive is disconnected"

How do I reconnect my file history drive

Hi Mattie,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if File History drive has been disconnected for too long.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to reconnect the File history drive.

Reconnect your File History drive:

• You’ll see this message if your File History drive has been disconnected for too long. If you’re backing up to an external drive (such as a USB drive), make sure that it’s connected to your PC. If you’re backing up to a network location, go to
      Settings > Update & security > Backup and reselect the network.
    • After you’ve reconnected, wait for the next scheduled backup or start a backup manually by selecting
      Settings > Update & security > Backup > More options > Back up now.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with reconnecting File History, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Feb 14, 2020
Thema:

backup and "file history drive is disconnected"

1. backup and "file history drive is disconnected" - Similar Threads - backup file history

2. file history backup disconnected too long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file history backup disconnected too long: error msg "file history backup drive disconnected too long" Cannot re-establish backup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup-disconnected-too-long/db0bfb53-f79b-4b2d-8f21-2765adcef4c7
  3. file history backup disconnected too long

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file history backup disconnected too long: error msg "file history backup drive disconnected too long" Cannot re-establish backup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup-disconnected-too-long/db0bfb53-f79b-4b2d-8f21-2765adcef4c7
  4. Cannot Select Backup History File Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Select Backup History File Drive: My computer has been backing up to an external drive that has died. Window says to reconnect. What I need to do is select another drive, but none of the 12 drives I have tried to select is acceptable to Windows. So what do I do?...
  5. Cannot Select Backup History File Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot Select Backup History File Drive: My computer has been backing up to an external drive that has died. Window says to reconnect. What I need to do is select another drive, but none of the 12 drives I have tried to select is acceptable to Windows. So what do I do?...
  6. Cannot Select Backup History File Drive

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. File History Drive disconnect

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History Drive disconnect: Hello, I turned File History on around the 1st of march just to see what it did. Now, when I try to disconnect it Windows complains and says 'This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device and then try again.' I tried...
  8. Disconnect and reconnect File History drive

Disconnect and reconnect File History drive: I have been trying to find the way to disconnect my drive after a backup has run. I do not want the drive to be connected all the time but just connect it a few times a day or when anything major changes. I have noticed that the external drive runs even when there is no...
  9. Change the backup drive for File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change the backup drive for File History: I'd like to change the backup drive for File History. How can I stop File History on the older physical drive and start File History on a new physical drive?...
  10. File History not working with internal backup drives.

File History not working with internal backup drives.: I have been reading the MANY posts about File History not working. I have 4 different machines and have been trying to get it to work on each of them with no luck, including V 1809. I have started and set to Auto (Delayed Start) all of the services for Software Protection,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reconnect file history

2. reconect my file history drive for windoes 10