Windows 10: Backup and restore Disc sizes

Discus and support Backup and restore Disc sizes in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; In Windows 7, I learned the hard way that restoring a backup to a same sized replacement hard drive does not work. What does work is restoring the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by GMan_959, Aug 1, 2022.

1. GMan_959 Win User

Backup and restore Disc sizes

In Windows 7, I learned the hard way that restoring a backup to a same sized replacement hard drive does not work. What does work is restoring the backup to a drive with a higher capacity. This is because of some obscure device requirement. The problem with this is that both the system hard drive as well as the backup hard drive can get on an ever increasing capacity merry go round. What I wish to know is whether in Win 10 or 11 has that issue been resolved. In other words, if I back up a 500GB SSD to a 1 terrabyte external HDD, can I restore the backup to a replacement 500 GB SSD, or must

:)

GMan_959, Aug 1, 2022

2. Don't have any function for backup

Hi Iris,

Let's work together on this. We suggest that you follow the following steps to apply the backup to your Windows Phone:

• Sign into the same Microsoft Account used for the backup creation.
    • When prompted to use a backup to restore the handset, select the desired backup and hit ‘next’ to continue with the process.
    • The backup will then download (duration will vary depending on speed of connection and size of backup), you can then enter passwords for restored accounts there and then or configure restored email and social accounts later.

Let us know the results.

Regards.

Justin Sor, Aug 1, 2022
  3. sumasage Win User
    Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Aug 1, 2022
  4. EdPelley Win User

Complete PC backup disc size

How do I find the correct size external disc needed to do a complete system backup, plus pictures, documents, letters, personal files, etc. ?

EdPelley, Aug 1, 2022
Thema:

1. Backup and restore Disc sizes - Similar Threads - Backup restore Disc

2. Backup and restore Disc sizes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Backup and restore Disc sizes: In Windows 7, I learned the hard way that restoring a backup to a same sized replacement hard drive does not work. What does work is restoring the backup to a drive with a higher capacity. This is because of some obscure device requirement. The problem with this is that both...
  3. Backup and restore Disc sizes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and restore Disc sizes: In Windows 7, I learned the hard way that restoring a backup to a same sized replacement hard drive does not work. What does work is restoring the backup to a drive with a higher capacity. This is because of some obscure device requirement. The problem with this is that both...
  4. Backup Discs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup Discs: Whenever I have purchased a computer which were always Hewlett Packard, I was able to order a set of CD's loaded with the initial packages of what was on the pc. Seems now a days nobody can explain where you can order these, do to everything being Microsoft. So who do I...
  5. external disc backup

external disc backup: can I use same external disc to backup two windows computers? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-disc-backup/49e93847-f9ae-4c6e-bf2a-f5de251aad7b
  6. Backup/Restore reports non-zero backup size when there is no backup

Backup/Restore reports non-zero backup size when there is no backup: Trying to delete all backups from a drive. Now it says There are no data file backups for this computer on this drive. AND There are no system images for this computer on this drive. And yet the Manage Space tool still reports a System image size of 50 GB. How can I...
  7. increase recovery disc size

increase recovery disc size: How do u increase size of recovery disc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/increase-recovery-disc-size/c42d4b0b-9d13-4753-885a-a93ff5692f30
  8. using disc for backup

using disc for backup: What is the best way to use a disc when running back up?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/using-disc-for-backup/f036bc5a-bd7d-41a1-888b-3f579819d229
  9. Differential Backup Size vs. Full Backup Size

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Differential Backup Size vs. Full Backup Size: My backup process is to manually do a full system backup followed by periodic differential backups until the size of the differential backup gets too big. My question is how big is too big? My thinking (and this is just a guess) is that when the differential backup is about...
  10. Restore Thumbnail Backup Photos to Original Size

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore Thumbnail Backup Photos to Original Size: I have found dozens of wanted thumbnail size photos (PNG files) on my old backup hard drive. The files have not yet been extracted. My question is how can I restore these thumbnail PNG files to original size? Thank you 87335