Windows 10: Backup and Restore - Exclude drive from system image backup

Discus and support Backup and Restore - Exclude drive from system image backup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I have a quick question about "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" feature on Windows 10. I set up a backup months ago to include a system image... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PerfectSlayer, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Backup and Restore - Exclude drive from system image backup

Hello,

I have a quick question about "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" feature on Windows 10.

I set up a backup months ago to include a system image and some personal data and everything worked fine.

I notice this backup feature tried to backup my game dedicated drive (another drive, no system installation, only dedicated for game installation) as a system image and backups no more work.

Backup and Restore - Exclude drive from system image backup 7dbf84c2-7816-42d7-bdf2-1c4e15c71262?upload=true.jpg

What makes Windows think this drive is a system drive to include in my backup? How can I configure it to not backup this drive?

Thanks for your help. If you need any more details, feel free to ask.

:)

PerfectSlayer, Jun 18, 2019
  2. sumasage Win User

Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Jun 18, 2019
  3. Is My Understanding of Windows Bare Metal System / Images Backups vs. File Backups ... and Restores Correct?

So my understanding of it is like this, there are two types of backups, and they are Image Backups and Data / User File backups...

• Image Backups (System Backups / System State /Disaster Recovery Backups)
      • The Creation Process
        • Can be created with wbadim system state backup
        • Then if the Data / User File Backups are included in it, they can be removed by mounting the Image Backup, and removing the Data / User Files from it to save on space (see
          this
          )
      • What it Includes / Excludes
        • Excludes the Data / User File Back
        • Includes installed programs and OS system files.
        • On Windows, you'll probably also want to remove any temp files from the image such as:
          • pagefile.sys
          • hiberfil.sys
          • swapfile.sys
      • When?
        • It's best to make this after you have the machine setup the way that you want with the programs already installed on it, and after updates are installed, you'll want to back it up again...this isn't always possible, but it's likely the best time to do this.
    • Data / User File Backups (User File Backups)
      • The Creation Process
        • Usually a full backup is created and then incrementals or differentials after that (and of course use a strategy like GFS)
      • When?
        • Run more frequently than image backups, these backups are scheduled and run when few people are using the system...
      • What it Includes / Excludes
        • Only includes the data /user files, and it does not include any of the system files and program files like the Image Backup.
    Then when you need to do disaster recovery, you restore the Image Backup first, and then when it's been recovered you add back in the
    Data / User File Backups to the system.

I know that the Data / User File Backups (User File Backups)
    can be removed from the xvhd file back created in the system state backup to decrease it's size by mounting it and deleting said files
    . But I'd like to know if I first restore the
    Image Backups (System Backups / System State /Disaster Recovery Backups), and then restore my Data / User File Backups will I still be able to use the machine as it was when I did the backups?

Is my understanding of this correct? Is there anything I missed?

Thank you,

Andrew J. Leer

Andrew Leer, Jun 18, 2019
  4. twilyth Win User

Backup and Restore - Exclude drive from system image backup

Backup utility

Cobian backup will do file backups locally or to ftp, with or without encryption and compression. However it doesn't do image backups, which is really what you need if want to fully restore your system.

I've used the W7 back up program and Acronis a few times to restore a system and both work great. With Acronis though, you need to burn the recovery cd they suggest FOR EACH and EVERY machine you use it on.

One problem with W7 backup is that seems to break easily. On one machine I did an upgrade re-install and the backup utility doesn't work. No luck in trouble shooting it either. So I now rely on Acronis exclusively for image backups. But I use Cobian for file backups to ftp.

twilyth, Jun 18, 2019
Thema:

Backup and Restore - Exclude drive from system image backup

1. Backup and Restore - Exclude drive from system image backup - Similar Threads - Backup Restore Exclude

2. backup and restore system image fails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    backup and restore system image fails: I am having a problem with backup and restore not completing a system image backup. I've researched this problem in this forum and have not found an answer that works. I have an Acer machine running windows 10 Home. It has a 1 TB internal hard drive and a 1TB external hard...
  3. Restoring from System Image Backup Over Network

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring from System Image Backup Over Network: I recently wiped my drives because of a BSOD, but I have a system image over my network that i have on my home server. I was wondering if it is possible to restore that system image from over the network after reinstalling windows 10? Also is it possible to reuse the windows...
  4. Restoring from system image backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring from system image backup: submitted by /u/SgtJackVisback [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lk0h04/restoring_from_system_image_backup/
  5. Combinte backup and restore system images

Combinte backup and restore system images: I have been testing different backup programs, and periodically I manually created a system image using backup and restore. However, I did not always use the same external drive for these images. As a result, I have a WindowsImageBackup folder on two different drives. Is...
  6. System Image Backup Drives

System Image Backup Drives: I purchased a Toshiba 2TB external hard drive-I made a system image from that. I decided something did not feel right about the drive, the drive was an awkward looking size. I deleted the system image and returned it. I had almost 6 hours of back up on this drive and it...
  7. How do you exclude files from a system image backup?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How do you exclude files from a system image backup?: Does anyone know if this works in Windows 10: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/pre...80819(v=ws.10) or if there is a different way to exclude folders from a system image created with the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) feature? 115940
  8. How to restore system image backup

How to restore system image backup: Hi guys, i made a system image backup of the window 10 running on my toshiba laptop via control panel on a external harddrive. And i am trying to restore it by going to window recovery, then system image recovery in advanced options. But the problem i am facing it that when i...
  9. Excluding a default drive from a system image backup?

Excluding a default drive from a system image backup?: Hi all, My OS became corrupt yesterday (totally unbootable) so I've had to start from scratch. Due to this experience, I'm very keen to have a full system image backup to save me having to spend a day rebuilding my operating environment if something similar happens again....
  10. Extract Restore Point from a System Image Backup

Extract Restore Point from a System Image Backup: Hi, I'm on Win 10 Pro. I recently made a system image backup to a NETWORK drive using the powershell command admin start backup -backuptarget:\\pc\a\tsb-image-file -include:C: -exclude:c:\users\3\box*,c:\users\3\onedrive,c:\users\3\music -allCritical -vsscopy...