Windows 10: Backup and Restore Start Layout in Windows 10

Discus and support Backup and Restore Start Layout in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; I was hoping it may have just been an issue in a few builds, but it appears to no longer work since build 16215. *Sad I've been messing with this in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 21, 2016.

1. geoken2 Win User

Backup and Restore Start Layout in Windows 10

I've been messing with this in 1709 (mostly because I'm testing some customized start layouts and it's kind of hard when you cant see the results of applying a new menu)

Anyway, there is a reg key;

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CloudStore\Store\Cache\DefaultAccount

This has a lot of subkeys so I'm not sure which one is responsible for the start menu. Maybe it's more than 1? All i know is if I delete the entire "DefaultAccount" key, on the next reboot the start menu will be rebuilt. In my case I'm using a customized start layout but if I wasn't I'm guessing it would revert to whatever layout is saved in AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell. For most people that will be the DefaultLayouts.xml file.

If you want it to be something else, you can run export-startlayout –path <path><file name>.xml to export your layout. Then you can run Import-StartLayout -LayoutPath .\the_xml_you_exported.xml -MountPath C:\ and that will re import it. But you need to be careful, that command will only import it into the default user profile (to be used if a new user account is created). If you want it in your own user profile you'll need to go into AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell for the default user profile and copy LayoutModifications.xml into the same folder in your user profile. Once the LayoutModifications.xml file exists in your AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell, forcing a rebuild by deleting that registry key above will make it use your modified layout instead of DefaultLayouts.xml

edit:
    Just did a bit more testing. If you delete that reg key, you don't need to reboot. Killing and restarting explorer is enough to make the start menu use the backup config.

geoken2, Nov 20, 2017
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member

Thank you geoken2, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

I'll have to give this a play with.

Brink, Nov 20, 2017
  3. geoken2 Win User
    No problem. The tutorials you posted have helped me a lot while configuring a baseline image to use for deployment. Especially with disabling start suggestions, this was the only place I could find updated instructions that worked on 1709. I Appreciate the efforts in keeping the tutorials up to date so I hoped to be able to give back a bit.

geoken2, Nov 20, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Hello, geoken2. Welcome to TenForums. *Smile

Thanks so much for this information! As a huge fan of the Start (Start Screen in 8/8.1 > full screen in 10 with "Show extra tiles") and since Brink's tutorial here no longer works, I've been searching for a way to backup and migrate the layout for quite some time.

If it be any help to both of you, I found this older tutorial by a gentleman that gets into using Group Policy Editor. I've tried it, but so far as I know it no longer works.

How to backup or reset the start menu in Windows 10 - gHacks Tech News

It will be a glorious day to have a method of importing a layout! Here's what I have to assemble upon a clean install. This is approximately 90% finished.

Backup and Restore Start Layout in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Tony K, Nov 20, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Ok. Here's what's working for me now streamlined from what @geoken2 posted above to backup and restore your Start layout.

Please test @HippsieGypsie and others, and let me know if you're seeing the same before I update the tutorial with it.

To Backup:
    1) Export HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CloudStore\Store\Cache\DefaultAccount registry key.

2) Copy DefaultLayouts.xml file in the %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Shell folder.

3) Keep these two items saved somewhere as your backup.

To Restore:
    1) Delete current HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CloudStore\Store\Cache\DefaultAccount registry key.

2) Merge .reg file from backup above to restore the backed up HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CloudStore\Store\Cache\DefaultAccount registry key.

3) Open the %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Shell folder, and copy the backup DefaultLayouts.xml file into this folder to replace the current one.

4) Sign out and sign in to apply.

Brink, Nov 20, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    Thanks, Shawn. I'll get on this asap. *Smile

Tony K, Nov 20, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Tutorial has now been updated with a new working method to backup and restore your Start layout. *Smile

Brink, Nov 20, 2017
  8. Tony K Win User

@Brink

To be sure before I import this.

HKCU is HKEY_CURRENT_USER yes?

%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Shell is C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell yes?

Edit: Never mind. I see you have it updated.

Tony K, Nov 20, 2017
  9. Tony K Win User
    Well, it was a no go importing into my Insider 17040, which I thought wouldn't work. Gave it a go anyway. Really didn't care for it's a messed up update via WU and need to clean install anyway. Interesting results, though. I had Start set to full screen with extra tiles and not to list apps as I always do. Import changed the Start settings. I forgot to take a screenshot of the original Start before importing, but it was similar to what I have in above prior post.

Also, strange thing is it reinstalled the unwanted apps I uninstalled. That's what those down arrows on the tiles are. I pressed on one and it said "New app coming soon" or similar to that. Hopefully it installs the wanted apps upon clean install. That would be great.

Went into the Settings app and changed the settings back and got this. By the time I came back it had the unwanted apps installed already. LOL!

Well, so much for that. I'm going to try it on the old Acer FCU to see how that goes. I have to install Office and some apps first. I'll clean install my FCU on my Asus here later to test. This is the OS I copied key and folder from.

Tony K, Nov 20, 2017
  10. Tony K Win User
    Imported into my Acer FCU. Worked rather well. Forgot to take a before pic again, but I hardly had any tiles on this Start screen. Being that it's a smaller monitor, it placed what was the right column on the other PC at the bottom under another one. I placed text boxes of tiles that didn't work, although it placed tiles in the correct places. Even folder and drive tiles that belong to the other PC. The Drawboard PDF app that I didn't have installed had the down arrow on the tile, which I learned is or will install by clicking on the tile a the Tips app opened with an explanation. Rather ingenious.

Like I said, I'll clean install on my Asus FCU later, which is what we're really after. Overall, I think this is going to work, guys! *Smile

Right now it's nap time. *Sleepy

Tony K, Nov 21, 2017
  11. Tony K Win User
    Clean install mission accomplished. This does indeed work on the same FCU PC. From default Start settings it reset it to full screen with extra tiles and no All Apps column as I had it. I went ahead and imported without installing apps to see what would happen. It set tiles and columns with their titles exactly as it was, but tiles were blank. As I installed Store/UWP apps and win32 programs the tiles filled out. Favorite Weather cities. favorite World Time cities, folders, drives, and Edge pages all need to be repinned, but all use the same tile. That I can live with.

I'm very happy how this works! Thank you, @Shawn and @geoken2!

Hopefully this works with each feature update.

Tony K, Nov 21, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Thank you for confirming Tony. *Smile

Brink, Nov 21, 2017
  13. Tony K Win User

You're welcome, Shawn. I was so happy and excited after tapping the WinKey and seeing it I almost peed my pants! *chuckle

Tony K, Nov 21, 2017
  14. Tony K Win User
    Unless I made a mistake, this method did not work in a clean install of IP 17040.

Tony K, Nov 21, 2017
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It should work in 17040 as well. It's what I tested it in.

Brink, Nov 21, 2017
Thema:

1. Backup and Restore Start Layout in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Backup Restore Start

2. Windows 10 Backup And Restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Backup And Restore: Dear Sir I am using Windows 10 Version 2004 Build 19041.610 and facing problem for windows system image backup and restore utility which failed to create system image backup and popup Error Message Device was not Ready followed By Error OX 80070015 .I have tried it with...
  3. Backup start menu tile layout

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Backup start menu tile layout: Hi all, I have quite a few websites installed as fake apps via Microsoft Edge these days.I access all of these via pinned icons on the Windows 10 start menu. I've had issues before where a Windows 10 update or Edge update has wiped out these websites installed as fake apps,...
  4. Backup Start Menu layout

in Windows 10 Customization
    Backup Start Menu layout: I do not know where to ask this question as none of the little drop down boxes has anything to do with the Start Menu. Question: Is there is any way to backup my start menu on my main Windows 10 computer so that I can use it on my other windows 10 machines. My main computer...
  5. Backup and Restore Windows 7 Starts at Bootup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup and Restore Windows 7 Starts at Bootup: I'm using the old windows 7 backup/restore, on Windows 10. It is scheduled for afternoon backup along with shutdown from Scheduler after backup is complete. Problem now is backup starts running again at bootup in the morning, which is not desired. I've tried resetting the...
  6. Backup and Restore Start Menu Layout in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and Restore Start Menu Layout in Windows 10: Code: :: Backup and Restore Start Menu Layout in Windows 10 @Echo Off net sess>nul 2>&1||(powershell start cmd -ArgumentList """/c %~0""" -verb Runas & exit) Cls & Mode CON LINES=11 COLS=80 & Color 0E & Title Created By Echo. Echo. Echo. Echo. Echo Do You Want to Backup...
  7. Windows 10 Backup and Restore

Windows 10 Backup and Restore: When I go to Windows 10 backup and restore page on my HP Notebook why does it show Backup and restore Windows 7 When I have Windows 10.Windows 10 was already preinstalled on this laptop when I bought it ?...
  8. windows 10 backup & restore

windows 10 backup & restore: Hello, I am trying to delete a windows backup image off of my PC that my brother made of his PC through windows backup feature. I can locate the file in file explorer, however, when I right click on the file and select delete I get the message "the file is in use by system"...
  9. How to Backup the Start screen layout in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to Backup the Start screen layout in Windows 10?: On the Internet I found how to backup the Start screen layout in Windows 10. copy %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\appsFolder.itemdata-ms to a save place. (restore is to copy that saved file over the source file) but instead of the file: appsFolder.itemdata-ms I find...
  10. Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10 The Start menu in Windows 10 has a Start list that you can choose which folders appear on Start in the list. You can add or remove the File...