Windows 10: Backup and Restore Start Layout in Windows 10

Discus and support Backup and Restore Start Layout in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Backup and Restore Start Layout in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Start Menu Layout in Windows 10 The Live Folders. This can be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Backup and Restore Start Layout in Windows 10

How to: Backup and Restore Start Layout in Windows 10

How to Backup and Restore Start Menu Layout in Windows 10

The Live Folders.

This can be handy if you do not want to have to setup your Start menu layout from scratch again. Say after a clean install of Windows 10.

You can restore the backup of a Start menu layout to any user account on the PC.

This tutorial will show you how to back up and restore the Start screen layout of any user account on your Windows 10 PC.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to back up and restore a Start menu layout of any account other than your own.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Backup Start Menu Layout of Current Account
    • Option Two: To Restore Start Menu Layout to Current Account

EXAMPLE: Start menu layout in Windows 10

Backup and Restore Start Layout in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Backup Start Menu Layout of Current Account
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CloudStore\Store\Cache\DefaultAccount

3. Right click on the DefaultAccount key in the left pane of Registry Editor, and click/tap on Export. (see screenshot above)

4. Navigate to where you want to export this DefaultAccount key to as a .reg file, type a file name (ex: "DefaultAccount_for_Brink") you want for this .reg file, and click/tap on Save. (see screenshot below)

*note This .reg file is your backup of the DefaultAccount key

5. You can now close Registry Editor if you like.

6. Open File Explorer (Win+E), click/tap on the icon in the address bar, copy and paste %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Shell into the address bar, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

7. Copy the DefaultLayouts.xml file in the "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Shell" folder. (see screenshot below)

8. Paste the DefaultLayouts.xml file into the same location (ex: "My Start Layout Backup" folder) you exported the .reg file from step 4 above to keep them together as the backup of your Start layout. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Restore Start Menu Layout to Current Account

*note This option requires that you already have a Start layout backup created from Option One above.
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CloudStore\Store\Cache\DefaultAccount

3. Right click on the DefaultAccount key in the left pane of Registry Editor, and click/tap on Delete. (see screenshot above)

4. Click/tap on Yes to confirm deleting the DefaultAccount key. (see screenshot below)

5. You can now close Registry Editor if you like.

6. Open the location (ex: "My Start Layout Backup" folder) of the Start layout backup created from Option One, and double click/tap on the .reg file (ex: "DefaultAccount_for_Brink") to merge it. (see screenshot below)

7. When prompted, click/tap on Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve merging the .reg file. (see screenshot below)

8. Open File Explorer (Win+E), click/tap on the icon in the address bar, copy and paste %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Shell into the address bar, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)

9. In a separate File Explorer window, open the location (ex: "My Start Layout Backup" folder) of the Start layout backup created from Option One, right click on the backed up DefaultLayouts.xml file, and click/tap on Copy. (see screenshot below)

10. Paste the backed up DefaultLayouts.xml file from step 9 into the %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Shell folder from step 8 above. (see screenshot below)

11. When prompted, click/tap on Replace the file in the destination option to replace the current DefaultLayouts.xml file with your backup copy. (see screenshot below)

12. Close File Explorer.

13. sign in to apply the restored Start layout.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jun 21, 2016
  2. Ramesh Srinivasan, Jun 21, 2016
  3. Ramesh Srinivasan, Jun 21, 2016
  4. Tony K Win User

Hi Shawn. Thanks for this tutorial. It's handy. *Smile

Can this Database folder be exported and used on a different machine signed in with the same account? Or does one have to use another tool to use a WIM?

How about importing an account to another machine?

Tony K, May 2, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hey Tony, *Smile

Yep, you can use the backup on another computer.

Anything that was in Start not installed on the other computer just wouldn't be included.

Not sure about importing an account, but you could use the same Microsoft account on both computers and have both set to sync settings to help.

Brink, May 2, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    Thanks, Shawn. Yes, I have the tower, lappy, and phone all synced and all signing in with the same MS account. The phone I understand would be different, but the tower and lappy just don't seem to mesh in a lot of things. The lock screen and the wallpaper for starters. The lappy has been on Insider, but it seems to be happening since I recently got back into Insider with the tower. I still get OneDrive sync, emails, notifications, location, and the like of course.

I'm thinking it may be a corrupt MS account. I have a feeling it's on the lappy. That's why the Start screen backup, the question on importing an account, and questions on WIM lately to fix. There are Windows ADK tools to import accounts, but I'm going to create a admin local account and delete the original MS account after signing out, then make it a MS account out of the local to see if that works. Does that sound feasible?

BTW, since CU, are you receiving SMS text notifications from your phone and able to answer while on your PCs? That's the cat's meow. *Smile

Tony K, May 2, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, May 2, 2017
  8. Tony K Win User

Thanks so much, @Brink.

Took me by surprise too. Great stuff. Wondering if they'll continue to develop that app to initiate a text. Maybe via Skype. That would be sweet.

Tony K, May 2, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
  10. Tony K Win User
    Tony K, May 2, 2017
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    LOL, you're most welcome Tony. It can be hard to keep up with all the changes and added features. *Smile

Brink, May 2, 2017
  12. vijer Win User
    I tried this about 4 months ago on an Insider build and it didn't work. Have you tried this on any of the latest builds (currently 16199)?

vijer, Jun 9, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello @vijer,

It doesn't appear to be working in my build 16215 either. I'll have to do some more testing to see what is going on.

If folks don't mind, please post if it still works for you or not along with what Windows 10 build you have installed.

Brink, Jun 9, 2017
  14. futureweb Win User
    Could it be it is not working with Creative Update anymore? I tried it, but it didn*t work.
    What I also tried is:
    Deleting the folder, then only 3 items were left (Office).
    I copied over again, still only those 3 items

Next I tried, moving those buttons around.
    Deleting the folder again.
    After another login, again, those 3 buttons where here, same arrangement.

So it seems, it is saved somehow different.

Not sure what I could be doing wrong, as copyiing this directory is straight forward...

Thanks
    Patrick

futureweb, Jul 19, 2017
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Patrick,

I was hoping it may have just been an issue in a few builds, but it appears to no longer work since build 16215. *Sad

Brink, Jul 19, 2017
Thema:

1. Backup and Restore Start Layout in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Backup Restore Start

2. Windows 10 Backup And Restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Backup And Restore: Dear Sir I am using Windows 10 Version 2004 Build 19041.610 and facing problem for windows system image backup and restore utility which failed to create system image backup and popup Error Message Device was not Ready followed By Error OX 80070015 .I have tried it with...
  3. Backup start menu tile layout

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Backup start menu tile layout: Hi all, I have quite a few websites installed as fake apps via Microsoft Edge these days.I access all of these via pinned icons on the Windows 10 start menu. I've had issues before where a Windows 10 update or Edge update has wiped out these websites installed as fake apps,...
  4. Backup Start Menu layout

in Windows 10 Customization
    Backup Start Menu layout: I do not know where to ask this question as none of the little drop down boxes has anything to do with the Start Menu. Question: Is there is any way to backup my start menu on my main Windows 10 computer so that I can use it on my other windows 10 machines. My main computer...
  5. Backup and Restore Windows 7 Starts at Bootup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup and Restore Windows 7 Starts at Bootup: I'm using the old windows 7 backup/restore, on Windows 10. It is scheduled for afternoon backup along with shutdown from Scheduler after backup is complete. Problem now is backup starts running again at bootup in the morning, which is not desired. I've tried resetting the...
  6. Backup and Restore Start Menu Layout in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and Restore Start Menu Layout in Windows 10: Code: :: Backup and Restore Start Menu Layout in Windows 10 @Echo Off net sess>nul 2>&1||(powershell start cmd -ArgumentList """/c %~0""" -verb Runas & exit) Cls & Mode CON LINES=11 COLS=80 & Color 0E & Title Created By Echo. Echo. Echo. Echo. Echo Do You Want to Backup...
  7. Windows 10 Backup and Restore

Windows 10 Backup and Restore: When I go to Windows 10 backup and restore page on my HP Notebook why does it show Backup and restore Windows 7 When I have Windows 10.Windows 10 was already preinstalled on this laptop when I bought it ?...
  8. windows 10 backup & restore

windows 10 backup & restore: Hello, I am trying to delete a windows backup image off of my PC that my brother made of his PC through windows backup feature. I can locate the file in file explorer, however, when I right click on the file and select delete I get the message "the file is in use by system"...
  9. How to Backup the Start screen layout in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to Backup the Start screen layout in Windows 10?: On the Internet I found how to backup the Start screen layout in Windows 10. copy %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\appsFolder.itemdata-ms to a save place. (restore is to copy that saved file over the source file) but instead of the file: appsFolder.itemdata-ms I find...
  10. Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10 The Start menu in Windows 10 has a Start list that you can choose which folders appear on Start in the list. You can add or remove the File...