Windows 10: Backup and Restore Start Layout in Windows 10

Discus and support Backup and Restore Start Layout in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Oh? Hmm. I don't think I made any mistakes. I'm careful to take time to follow paths and instructions. I'm about updated to 17045. I'll try again in it. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Tony K Win User

Backup and Restore Start Layout in Windows 10

Oh? Hmm. I don't think I made any mistakes. I'm careful to take time to follow paths and instructions. I'm about updated to 17045. I'll try again in it.

Tony K, Nov 21, 2017
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member

I just tested in build 17046, and it's still working for me. I guess double check the steps to see if you may have missed something somewhere. *Confused

Brink, Nov 21, 2017
  3. Tony K Win User
    Thanks, Shawn. Will do. *Smile

Tony K, Nov 21, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Try as I might, I cannot get this to work in my Insider builds. It worked in FCU on both machines.

I noticed when I merged the .reg file I get a quick flash of a box of which I can't catch it's so quick. I don't get that in my FCU's. A warning message? Could it be my Insiders are blocked some how?

Tony K, Nov 22, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Just to verify, did you delete the current DefaultAccount registry key before merging the backed up .reg file?

When you merged the .reg file, did you get the Yes, Yes, and OK prompts to approve merging it?

If not, do you have UAC set to the default level?

Brink, Nov 22, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving, Shawn. *Smile

You know me. I'm a Windows purist. I never touch settings, especially UAC. Never hack the Registry, nor clean it. This is an exception to change as with some of your other .reg files. Yes, I get the prompt and that it succeeded in adding/updating the Registry. It's right after I click ok on the first warning box I get the flash. I didn't seem to get that in my FCU OSes. I don't remember ever getting it before. Do you get that flash?

Another strange thing is that I started to give up on it in 17046, changed the settings to full screen, extra tiles, and no All apps column in Settings app as I like, pressed the WinKey to start arranging, and thought I'd give it one more try. LOL! It went back to the default settings. *Confused

I can understand making a mistake once and maybe twice, but six or seven times? I always reboot with another attempt, for the Current User hive is built upon boot or logging back in, yes? The way this works is that it changes the Registry file(s) for my account in other hives upon logging out, reboot, or shutting down, yes? I'm logging out and back in as per instructions here.

Tony K, Nov 22, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Happy Thanksgiving Day Tony. *Smile

You didn't mention if you delete the DefaultAccount registry key before merging the backed up .reg file. If you don't, then your backup will not be properly restored.

When I merge my backup .reg, I get the UAC prompt to click on Yes, then I get the Yes and OK prompts in step 7 option 2.

I don't get a flash though. When it flashes, do you lose your taskbar and desktop background temporarily? If so, this flash may be from explorer crashing and restarting.

Brink, Nov 22, 2017
  8. Tony K Win User

Yes, I delete the key, close out Regedit, go to the backed up key, and merge it. Copy the .xml file in another FE instance. Sign out/in. Been following the instructions to the tee. Like I said, it worked in my FCUs on two machines.

No other flashing, but a very quick rectangle flash. Nothing else. That's on my Asus. May be a GPU thing?

Just tried this on my newly updated 17046 on my Acer. I don't get the flash there. Again, I set Start as I like it in Settings, perform everything, and again it set the Start back to default there also. Tried it a few times. Same thing.

There's got to be something with my IP accounts that's blocking this. Can't think of anything else. I don't think dual booting with both FCUs and IPs on both machines have anything to do with it, would it?

Just plain weird and confusing. I'm going to let this be for now. I can live with it working in my FCUs. I'll just arrange the IPs. It's just if/when I clean install those that it's a pita. However, I'm going to try this on my laptop FCU in a bit and I bet both my next pension checks that it works. *Biggrin

I have five W10s on three machines plus my Lumia. They are all set to sync with my account. Sign in with the same MS account on all six OSes.

As you know, the W10 Lumia backs up the Start like the 8/8.1 PCs did. They should bring that feature in PC 10. But no! We had to have the Start menu back! *sarc

Tony K, Nov 22, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yeah, it would be nice to have a built-in backup/restore feature for the Start layout.

Brink, Nov 22, 2017
  10. Tony K Win User
    Maybe some day. I'm grateful you figured this method out. Thanks again, Shawn. *Smile

Tony K, Nov 22, 2017
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Well, geoken2 did point me in the right direction. *Smile

Brink, Nov 22, 2017
  12. Tony K Win User
    Yes and a thanks again to geoken2 as well. *Smile

Tony K, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Backup and Restore Start Layout in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Backup Restore Start

2. Windows 10 Backup And Restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Backup And Restore: Dear Sir I am using Windows 10 Version 2004 Build 19041.610 and facing problem for windows system image backup and restore utility which failed to create system image backup and popup Error Message Device was not Ready followed By Error OX 80070015 .I have tried it with...
  3. Backup start menu tile layout

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Backup start menu tile layout: Hi all, I have quite a few websites installed as fake apps via Microsoft Edge these days.I access all of these via pinned icons on the Windows 10 start menu. I've had issues before where a Windows 10 update or Edge update has wiped out these websites installed as fake apps,...
  4. Backup Start Menu layout

in Windows 10 Customization
    Backup Start Menu layout: I do not know where to ask this question as none of the little drop down boxes has anything to do with the Start Menu. Question: Is there is any way to backup my start menu on my main Windows 10 computer so that I can use it on my other windows 10 machines. My main computer...
  5. Backup and Restore Windows 7 Starts at Bootup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup and Restore Windows 7 Starts at Bootup: I'm using the old windows 7 backup/restore, on Windows 10. It is scheduled for afternoon backup along with shutdown from Scheduler after backup is complete. Problem now is backup starts running again at bootup in the morning, which is not desired. I've tried resetting the...
  6. Backup and Restore Start Menu Layout in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and Restore Start Menu Layout in Windows 10: Code: :: Backup and Restore Start Menu Layout in Windows 10 @Echo Off net sess>nul 2>&1||(powershell start cmd -ArgumentList """/c %~0""" -verb Runas & exit) Cls & Mode CON LINES=11 COLS=80 & Color 0E & Title Created By Echo. Echo. Echo. Echo. Echo Do You Want to Backup...
  7. Windows 10 Backup and Restore

Windows 10 Backup and Restore: When I go to Windows 10 backup and restore page on my HP Notebook why does it show Backup and restore Windows 7 When I have Windows 10.Windows 10 was already preinstalled on this laptop when I bought it ?...
  8. windows 10 backup & restore

windows 10 backup & restore: Hello, I am trying to delete a windows backup image off of my PC that my brother made of his PC through windows backup feature. I can locate the file in file explorer, however, when I right click on the file and select delete I get the message "the file is in use by system"...
  9. How to Backup the Start screen layout in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to Backup the Start screen layout in Windows 10?: On the Internet I found how to backup the Start screen layout in Windows 10. copy %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\appsFolder.itemdata-ms to a save place. (restore is to copy that saved file over the source file) but instead of the file: appsFolder.itemdata-ms I find...
  10. Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10 The Start menu in Windows 10 has a Start list that you can choose which folders appear on Start in the list. You can add or remove the File...