Windows 10: backup and restore system image fails

Discus and support backup and restore system image fails in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am having a problem with backup and restore not completing a system image backup. I've researched this problem in this forum and have not found an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RichardMase, Aug 24, 2021.

1. backup and restore system image fails

I am having a problem with backup and restore not completing a system image backup. I've researched this problem in this forum and have not found an answer that works. I have an Acer machine running windows 10 Home. It has a 1 TB internal hard drive and a 1TB external hard drive connected via USB. Both hard drives have plenty of free space. 753 GB on the internal C drive and 889 GB on the external E drive.C is divided up into 4 partitions. - recovery 508 MB 100% free, System reserved, 50 MB, 19.6 MB free. the C drive 753 MB free, and unallocated 17.9 GB.I followed all the suggestions here o

:)

RichardMase, Aug 24, 2021
  2. Try3 Win User

How to restore system image backup

Ryan,

If you want to pursue the problem then I suggest creating a new thread. This one has become a mess.

In any new thread, state all the methods you have used for restoring the image, describe all errors / untoward events and state the stage at which they occurred. Give a link back to this thread aswell.

If the touchpad is the only problem then you could consider raising that as a separate question in the forum. Make sure you say what you have checked already or you'll get just people suggesting that you check Settings, Devices, Touchpad, {On, Leave on when mouse is connected} and corresponding entries in Control panel, Mouse.

Or you could just get on with the reinstallation. Then make a system image from it straightaway using Windows own tool or another such as Macrium Reflect Free [see also Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect - TenForums]. Or use both if you have the spare space.

• Then restore that image before bothering to do anything else so that you will know the image works.
    • You'll also have a nice clean system that you know has no hidden secrets such as incompletely-removed antimalware applications from before you bought it [their effects can be quite bizarre - I had no problems until a year after failing to run the Norton removal tool I discovered that my home network failed when trying to copy files of more than 1MB].

Denis

3. bgw2go Win User
    Windows 10 System Image Backup fails

I have not tried this resolution because of the initial steps I listed in my question. As mentioned in my original statement, I performed a clean install of Windows 10, yet when I tried to restore the computer from a System Image Backup it failed. As I just
    got the computer up and running again with Windows 7, I didn't want to go back and try this fix as I didn't see how it would help as I originally upgraded from a Windows 7 computer that has BIOS, and upon looking at the settings, there is nothing listed about
    EFI.

bgw2go, Aug 24, 2021
  4. backup and restore system image fails

Windows 10 System Image Restore Failed

Win 10 desktop with twin 1TB drives. The second drive used exclusively to make image backups of the primary.

Primary drive has failed. I purchased an identical new drive expecting to restore my system from the image backup.

Boot from CD recovery disk. Ran image restore. Failed indicating that I should run CHKDSK /R on the drives to fix any errors.

Ran CHKDSK /R on both drives. No bad sectors. Restarted image restore. Same error message.

Repeat

Repeat

Now Image Restore no longer finding my image backup.

Suggestions?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

DwightNewton, Aug 24, 2021
Thema:

backup and restore system image fails

1. backup and restore system image fails - Similar Threads - backup restore system

2. System image restore failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System image restore failed: Hi guys,I don't know if someone have problem like mine, because from what I can search, there may be almost similar issue but none of the solution works for me so if you guys have any idea, please help meContext: I am upgrading my HP laptop by adding a new SSD disk 240gb for...
  3. System image restore failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System image restore failed: Hi guys,I don't know if someone have problem like mine, because from what I can search, there may be almost similar issue but none of the solution works for me so if you guys have any idea, please help meContext: I am upgrading my HP laptop by adding a new SSD disk 240gb for...
  4. System image restore failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. System image fails to restore image.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System image fails to restore image.: I am trying to restore a system image on my computer but I cannot understand why it keeps failing. Previously I had no problems in restoring a system image. The following error message is displayed instead: “The system image restore failed.Windows cannot restore a system...
  6. Restoring System Image When System Image Restore Fails?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring System Image When System Image Restore Fails?: Hi guys, Bear with me on this little odyssey. It's a bit of a ramble, and more just me moaning than asking an actual question, but if anyone can help me figure out where I was going wrong I can sleep a bit easier. I was working on a project to deploy a custom Windows image...
  7. System image backup failed

System image backup failed: System image backup failed FIRST ATTEMPT The backup failed The operation timed-out before the shadow copy was created on the storage location (0x80780036) Additional Information: The shadow copy provider timed out \while flushing data to the volume being shadow...
  8. system image backup failed

system image backup failed: I had a successful image backup a year ago. However, recently, when I tried to do image backup, it failed. Please see the attached file. It happened on version 1809. I checked history service and volume shadow copy service and both of them were on automatic and had started. I...
  9. System image restore fails

System image restore fails: I'm replacing the hard drive on my laptop since my original is full. 1. Using Windows' Backup and Restore, I created a system image. 2. Since I do not have a DVD drive, I created a Windows 10 install media (here) directly to a USB. 3. I boot up using the USB and attempt...
  10. System Image Restore Fail

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image Restore Fail: Hi All, I had to wind my OS back to windows 7 using recovery media because a system image I created with the backup and restore tool in windows 10 failed to restore. The system image was on an external hdd but it could not be found when plugged into a USB port. I'll...