Windows 10: Backup and Restore win7 fails after successfully starting

Discus and support Backup and Restore win7 fails after successfully starting in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Backup and Restore win7 fails during backup, says can't find the drive. Yet, it had already written much of the backup. Chkdsk found no problems on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by KevinManuele, Jan 30, 2023.

1. Backup and Restore win7 fails after successfully starting

Backup and Restore win7 fails during backup, says can't find the drive. Yet, it had already written much of the backup. Chkdsk found no problems on the drive. scannow fixed some system files. Still fails. There is > 1TB free on the drive.Any ideas ??thanksK

:)

KevinManuele, Jan 30, 2023
  2. Lancer1 Win User

Managing outdated Win7 backup and restore files

Our small non-profit is running about 12 computers on Windows 10 and using Win7 Backup & Restore to backup to a networked drive (NAS).

Here is an example of how typical backed up folders are titled:

Backup Set 2017-02-13

Backup Files 2017-02-13

Backup Files 2017-02-20

Backup Files 2017-02-27

The first Backup Files folder is typically large, and the subsequent Backup Files folders are much smaller. This leads me to believe that the subsequent folders are only incremental backups, and the entire set is necessary to do a full restore.

What is an effective strategy of deleting outdated backup files to be efficient with disk space?

• I can delete the entire Backup Set and get a fresh backup at the next scheduled backup time, but that leaves me unprotected in the interim.

• Deleting the older Backup Files folders (e.g. 2017-02-13) will leave me with an incomplete backup (I think).

• Never deleting any of the backups will result in a bloated backup (I think).
    Thanks for your help!

Lancer1, Jan 30, 2023
  3. topgundcp Win User
    System Restore did not complete successfully.

@Stevekir
    You might want to try:
    1. Click on Start button (1). Hold down SHIFT KEY+Click On Power (2) then click on Restart(3)

Backup and Restore win7 fails after successfully starting 97210d1485970904t-system-restore-did-not-complete-successfully-.png
    2. The PC will reboot and get into the Recovery Environment
    3. Click on Trouble Shoot->Advanced Options->System Restore.

Backup and Restore win7 fails after successfully starting 97212d1485970904t-system-restore-did-not-complete-successfully-b.png

topgundcp, Jan 30, 2023
  4. larrymcg Win User

Backup and Restore win7 fails after successfully starting

Backup (Win7 version) says can't find windows.old

I'm using the Win7 Backup and Restore on my Win 10 system. Sometime after he big update happened I decided to get rid of the C:\Windows.old\ folder and used Disk Cleanup to do it. It said it did but some parts of the folder remained. IIRC I manually deleted the left over parts. So now there is no Windows.old folder.

However, subsequent backups have reported that some files were skipped and lists C:\Windows.old\ as the skipped file.
    I have used system Error Checking facility to check the C disk and it says everything is fine. And Disk Cleanup does not list any previous versions of Windows to clean.

I believe the backups are OK but I don't like the backup saying it didn't complete successfully.

Suggesting on how to make this error go away?

-- Larry

larrymcg, Jan 30, 2023
Thema:

Backup and Restore win7 fails after successfully starting

1. Backup and Restore win7 fails after successfully starting - Similar Threads - Backup Restore win7

2. Backup and Restore win7 fails after successfully starting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup and Restore win7 fails after successfully starting: Backup and Restore win7 fails during backup, says can't find the drive. Yet, it had already written much of the backup. Chkdsk found no problems on the drive. scannow fixed some system files. Still fails. There is > 1TB free on the drive.Any ideas ??thanksK...
  3. Backup and Restore win7 fails after successfully starting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup and Restore win7 fails after successfully starting: Backup and Restore win7 fails during backup, says can't find the drive. Yet, it had already written much of the backup. Chkdsk found no problems on the drive. scannow fixed some system files. Still fails. There is > 1TB free on the drive.Any ideas ??thanksK...
  4. backup and restore system image fails

backup and restore system image fails: I am having a problem with backup and restore not completing a system image backup. I've researched this problem in this forum and have not found an answer that works. I have an Acer machine running windows 10 Home. It has a 1 TB internal hard drive and a 1TB external hard...
  5. Neither File History nor Backup and Restore successfully work

Neither File History nor Backup and Restore successfully work: Unfortunately, attemping to backup my files to an external drive using either program doesn't seem to work. Though there is no problem manually copying files over to the drive, the backup options with File History show the size of backup being 0 bytes, regardless of which...
  6. Windows backup and restore win7

Windows backup and restore win7: Hi, I have to restore all files from a backup to a new drive but I then realized that it also restore renamed/deleted files and folders. I can see that it make sense for someone that accidentally deleted something and want it restored but that makes the tool barely useless...
  7. failed restores with EaseUS Backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    failed restores with EaseUS Backup: I am using the free edition of EaseUS ToDo Backup and run into problems with restoring in a specific situation. I was doing regular full backups of a Win7 system partition, located on Disk 1 (not sure if it matters, but when I installed Win 7 a long time ago, I forced...
  8. Backup and Restore completely fails to start

Backup and Restore completely fails to start: It used to work but then something happened on my Windows 10 machine and now I can't backup at all (don't have external so I relied on this windows-7 leftover method to backup on an internal separate drive) My control panel looks like this now: Edit I can't upload an image?...
  9. restore point created successfully after last failed update but not found (again!)

restore point created successfully after last failed update but not found (again!): About a year ago I had this same problem with windows 10 home on my elderly relative's machine. The machine failed to update properly and required that I use the Media Creation Tool. This process took over 3 hours to get the machine up and running as before. I then was *sure*...
  10. Error 0x8100001a - Backup/Restore (Win7)

Error 0x8100001a - Backup/Restore (Win7): I had to do a new reinstall of Windows 10 and received this error when trying to restore from my external backup drive. Originally the backup drive was G, but after the reinstall, it became H. I changed it back to G in Disk Management, and applied the SDUTIL with no errors...