Windows 10: Backup and restore with Windows 10

Discus and support Backup and restore with Windows 10 in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am new to 10 and in the past version of Windows I have used the free version of Backup Maker for backing up my hard drive to an external drive. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Jerry in Mass, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Backup and restore with Windows 10

I am new to 10 and in the past version of Windows I have used the free version of Backup Maker for backing up my hard drive to an external drive. The program works okay but does have some issues I am not happy with. I thought I would try to use the Backup and Restore File utility in 10 and I am not sure it. I read the documentation in Windows along with Windows 10 for Dummies (which I guess I need). In performing the backup I could not tell about the progress of the backup as folders did appear with with no bytes listed and this went on for hours. It kept giving me start and stop messages. Any ideas and experience using this utility would be helpful and whether or not the Backup Maker program is a better bet.

Thanks!
    *Confused

:)

Jerry in Mass, Jun 13, 2016

2. Windows 7 Backup and Restore (“Backup and Restore (Windows 7)”)

Who are you and what have you done with ScottHolzrichter?

PA Bear - MS MVP, Jun 13, 2016
  3. bakontrk Win User
    Windows 7 Backup and Restore (“Backup and Restore (Windows 7)”)

You must be joking!

bakontrk, Jun 13, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Backup and restore with Windows 10

Most of us here agree that Macrium Reflect Free is the best program for system backups:
    Macrium Reflect Free

NavyLCDR, Jun 13, 2016
  5. roblinb Win User
    I have used and restored with Acronis True Image (2016). I can vouch for it, works well, but my version isn't free, like the one that NavyLCDR mentions above.

roblinb, Jun 13, 2016
  6. Steve C Win User
    I used a previous version of Acronis True Image which failed to uninstall correctly and left low level disk drivers/filters which were very hard to remove. I won't use a poorly engineered Acronis product again. Macrium Reflect is fine.

Steve C, Jun 13, 2016
  7. roblinb Win User
    Ouch. Yeah I've also had issues with popular software, too. I guess our experiences lead away from certain things. I've used Acronis both at work and at home, and it's been good for me.

roblinb, Jun 13, 2016
  8. Stevekir Win User

I've had trouble with Acronis True Image. It wouldn't do what the manual said. I ditched it.

Stevekir, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Backup and restore with Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Backup restore

2. Hi, I accidentally created a backup of my laptop from "Backup & restore Windows 7" option...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hi, I accidentally created a backup of my laptop from "Backup & restore Windows 7" option...: Hi, I accidentally created a backup of my laptop from "Backup & restore Windows 7" option in one of my partition drives in Windows 11. Please tell me how can I delete it?...
  3. Hi, I accidentally created a backup of my laptop from "Backup & restore Windows 7" option...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hi, I accidentally created a backup of my laptop from "Backup & restore Windows 7" option...: Hi, I accidentally created a backup of my laptop from "Backup & restore Windows 7" option in one of my partition drives in Windows 11. Please tell me how can I delete it?...
  4. Can You Restore Specific Files From a Backup?

Can You Restore Specific Files From a Backup?: I recently got a new desktop and while starting it up and signing into my Microsoft account it gave me the option of restoring my laptop's backup.If it matters, the laptop ran off of Windows 10 while the new desktop runs Windows 11Is there a way to restore/access specific...
  5. Can You Restore Specific Files From a Backup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can You Restore Specific Files From a Backup?: I recently got a new desktop and while starting it up and signing into my Microsoft account it gave me the option of restoring my laptop's backup.If it matters, the laptop ran off of Windows 10 while the new desktop runs Windows 11Is there a way to restore/access specific...
  6. Can I use a restore point as an alternative backup option while updating to Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I use a restore point as an alternative backup option while updating to Windows 11?: I don't really use OneDrive, so I thought of using the "Create a restore point" service to back up my files. Will this be a good alternative, though?...
  7. Can I use a restore point as an alternative backup option while updating to Windows 11?

Can I use a restore point as an alternative backup option while updating to Windows 11?: I don't really use OneDrive, so I thought of using the "Create a restore point" service to back up my files. Will this be a good alternative, though?...
  8. Can I use a restore point as an alternative backup option while updating to Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Windows backup image restore.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows backup image restore.: Hello everybody,I have two hard drives on my laptop. One of them is partitioned in two parts, both with an operative system Windows 10, one used for gaming and the other for working.The other hard drive is used for backup.I made months ago a System backup image of the...
  10. Windows backup image restore.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows backup image restore.: Hello everybody,I have two hard drives on my laptop. One of them is partitioned in two parts, both with an operative system Windows 10, one used for gaming and the other for working.The other hard drive is used for backup.I made months ago a System backup image of the...