Windows 10: Backup and System Image failure - caused by .VHD conflict... solved?

Discus and support Backup and System Image failure - caused by .VHD conflict... solved? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I discovered that after the forced update to Windows 10 my Backups have been failing. Also cannot create a System Image. I get the error message that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Brad Stribling, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Backup and System Image failure - caused by .VHD conflict... solved?

I discovered that after the forced update to Windows 10 my Backups have been failing. Also cannot create a System Image. I get the error message that many others have asked about - that the system finds Virtual Hard Disk files that are compressed, encrypted, or sparse. But no info on which ones !

I FINALLY figured it out! I have tons of .VHD files... and none of them are virtual hard disk files! As a chip designer using VHDL for Xilinx and Altera FPGAs, the default file type for the design source code emerging from my IDE is .VHD ! That is also the default input type for the Xilinx compiler, etc. But Windows 10 only accepts that as implying a Virtual Hard Disk. And when attempting to do Backup or System Image, Windows thinks such a VHDL source file *.VHD is some kind of corrupted Virtual Hard Disk !

Now, I could write a script to rename all my chip source files as *.VHDL or something, but that's not convenient for the source code editor or chip compiler. Does Microsoft have a better solution? I'd still hope to generate a System Image.

Brad

:)

Brad Stribling, Oct 23, 2020

2. Conflicting messages with Win 10 system image backup

Hi,

I realize that you are getting conflicting messages with Windows 10 system image backup. I will try to help you with this issue.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

• Did you make any changes to the PC prior to this issue?

• What is the free space available on the external HDD?

Unplug the external HDD, restart the computer and then plug in the external HDD to check if that helps with the system image backup.

You may temporarily disable the security software and check if this helps.

Disclaimer: If you have to temporarily disable the antivirus to install other software; you should enable the antivirus as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software
    is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to virus attacks.

Suggest you to boot the PC in a clean boot state to check if that helps. A clean boot step will help us determine if any 3rd party service or application is causing this issue.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow the steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” in the article to boot to normal startup.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Oct 23, 2020
  3. mac1-131 Win User
    System Image Backup

I don't think you will see the individual itunes files in your system image backup because everything is kept in one large file. but it should be there as an image backup contains everything on your hard drive.

if you are really curious, it is possible to mount a VHD file in Disk Management, then you can see the files that are in the backup. your iTunes music would be in the C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes folder

here is a link to a page that describes how to see what is contained in an image backup:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/extract-specific-files-windows-7-8-system-image-backup

when I tried this on Windows 10, you did have to do one additional step and assign the mounted VHD volume a drive letter before you could see what was in it

be careful - this is advanced stuff so don't mess up your backup if you are unsure if how to do this

I did verify image backup works on Windows 10 - I backed up one to a large USB drive, then restored it and seems OK.

to restore it, you will need to boot recovery media or the install media and click repair, then advanced options poke around for restore image backup

hopefully your hardware repairs don't change things significantly enough that you loose your windows activation!

mac1-131, Oct 23, 2020
  4. Backup and System Image failure - caused by .VHD conflict... solved?

Creating a System Image backup - keeps looping

Hi,

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to assist you with the query.

I understand the inconvenience caused, now that you have me with you let me take care of this.

The system image is exactly like the mirrored copy of the Operating System which contains the configuration of the Operating System. When you create backup system image your windows 10 comes back to the same position at when the image was created earlier.

As an initial step, I suggest you to make sure that the services required for backup to run successfully is enabled. Refer to these steps:

• Press Windows + R
      keys, type services.msc and press Enter.

• In the services window, locate the services
      File history service
      and the Volume shadow copy service and check if they are running.

• If they are not running, right-click and select
      Start to manually start the service.

• Check if you are able to create a backup now.
    Step 1: I suggest you to follow the steps from the below article created by

Andre Da Costa
    and check if it helps.

How to: Create a system image in Windows 10

How to: Create a system image in Windows 10

Step 2: If the issue still persists, I suggest you to boot the computer in a clean boot state and then check.

Booting the computer in a clean boot state can reduce software conflicts and help identify the root cause of the issue. You can refer to this article for more information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, reset the computer to start as usual. Refer to the step
    How to set the computer to start as usual after clean boot troubleshooting under more information.

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Oct 23, 2020
Thema:

Backup and System Image failure - caused by .VHD conflict... solved?

1. Backup and System Image failure - caused by .VHD conflict... solved? - Similar Threads - Backup System Image

2. Backup or System Image failure while running backup. Error Code: 0x8078011E

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup or System Image failure while running backup. Error Code: 0x8078011E: I was trying to make a system image in Windows 10 with the feature called Backup and Restore Windows 7. So I bought an external drive for this. This was done to prepare for Windows 11 on a new computer. So I got this error and it was an easy fix at least for me,All I did was...
  3. System image backup

System image backup: I have a msi laptop that don't have a dvd drive, when i use my system image backup it keeps asking me to create a system repair disk but i can't create becuse i don't have a dvd drive so how do i get rid of this problem plz help !! Thank you...
  4. System image backup

System image backup: I have a windows 10 pro PC and I recently replaced my main 2TB HD with a 3TB using GPT and cloned my drive with no problem, I also installed a 3TB drive and formatted it using GPT as a way of doing a system image, which I had previously gone to a 2TB HD. Since this change...
  5. system image backup

system image backup: Trying to back up my hard drive as a "system image". I see the option in the videos, but when I click on Settings, Backup, the "system image" option is not there. It just says "save these files" and lists a bunch of data files. How to create a system image? The Microsoft...
  6. System image backup

System image backup: I am trying to backup system image onto SD card formatted to NTFS but windows does not consider this as suitable. Can anyone assist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-image-backup/9057d22e-bbcf-4007-bee5-9891199b3084
  7. System Image Backup Failure, error 0x800423f3

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image Backup Failure, error 0x800423f3: I've been running two machines with Windows 10 x64 for a while now. I periodically run a system image backup (on each machine) to an external HDD just as an extra precaution, as I use EaseUS ToDo Backup Workstation 8.6 for my weekly system images. Today I was able to complete...
  8. System Image Backup Failure

System Image Backup Failure: My searches have not turned up anything about this. On my computer, attempts to create a backup fail repeatedly, with these errors: Error encountered when writing data to backup target (0x80780166) System cannot find the file specified (0x80070002) I have deleted the...
  9. System image backup

System image backup: Hey guys. Sorry if this ain't the proper section. I'm trying to back up a system image on windows 10 but every time it gives me an error saying the backup failed and that "The specific backup storage location has the shadow copy on another volume." (0x80780038)." I've looked...
  10. failure in the backup image

failure in the backup image: having problems creating an image of my system. [img] in searching for the error on the net I come up with these so called microsoft partner ads for software. could someone assist? Shipinomore sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. 47286