Windows 10: Backup Exec from Veritas not able to perform a GRT backup

Discus and support Backup Exec from Veritas not able to perform a GRT backup in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I've been going round and round with Veritas on why a Hyper-V Gen2 VHDX backended server cannot be backed up for GRT restores. For the last 5 weeks... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Jeff_BPS, Aug 17, 2022.

1. Jeff_BPS Win User

Backup Exec from Veritas not able to perform a GRT backup

I've been going round and round with Veritas on why a Hyper-V Gen2 VHDX backended server cannot be backed up for GRT restores. For the last 5 weeks they've had me running logs to try to figure out why. All other virtual machines backup properly as well as the Hyper-V server itself. The problem seems to be is it cannot mount the VHDX to run a catalog of the machine. The virtual machine is a basic disk secure boot machine within a domain running Windows 2022. The Hyper-V server is running Windows 2022 and outside of a domain. It's a non-domain joined server mainly for recovery purposes in

:)

Jeff_BPS, Aug 17, 2022
  2. Bokenzhe Win User

Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

Question

• Backup Exec from Veritas not able to perform a GRT backup [​IMG]

Applies to

5 views Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

My backup stubbornly refuses to run. I can't run the initial backup, therefore the file history backups don't run either. This has been an ongoing problem for quite some time. Suggestions I've received have not worked so far. Following is the problem
    and the failed resolution attempts:

• I get this message from the Event Log:

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID - 201

Level: Error

User - System

*** ---- There is no config file at this directory location. The contents of the location are:

catalog1

catalog2

config1

config2

• In another thread from July, someone suggested checking a particular service (I forget the name just now) is running. It is.

• Two days ago a Microsoft employee suggested the following steps. These steps resulted in no change, still no backup:

KA

Karthicka_R replied on

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to start and stop the services “Windows backup” and “volume shadow copy” and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+R” and in the run command box type “services. MSc”.
    • Search for the service “Windows Backup” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not, click on “OK” button. I suggest you to stop and start the service again.
    • Once done again search for the service “Volume shadow copy” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not. I suggest you to stop and start the service again, click on “OK” button and
      check whether you can perform backup successfully.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

• I performed these steps multiple times. The backup still crashes, with the same error message. In addition I collected the following error message, but only one time:

Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID: 200

• Can anyone help me with this stubborn problem?

Thank you in advance.

Bokenzhe, Aug 17, 2022
  3. Geekoid Win User
    Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Aug 17, 2022
  4. dmcmillen Win User

Need 2TB of cheap cloud storage for my Veritas System Recovery backup

My issue now is finding a cloud storage service that offers the kind of performance that will work with the files sizes I'm dealing with. At this point I don't think it will be possible to find a cloud service that will work.

When I started this thread, I was looking for cloud storage to store my Veritas full and incremental image files, full backups which range from 53 gb to 300 gb for each drive and run weekly, and incremental backups which can be as much as a 2 - 4 gb for each drive daily. Based on the fastest service I can find so far my full backups would take 1.25 hrs, 5 hrs, 7 hrs, 2 hrs and 4.25 hours respectively to transfer to the cloud and as much as 45 mins for each incremental daily. Veritas currently performs the backup to an internal SATA drive and then copies the backup to an external USB attached SATA drive. My idea was to then have Veritas copy the backup file to a cloud service as part of the backup job.

A NAS drive would provide another layer of protection in addition to my internal SATA drive backups and my external USB attached SATA drive backups but it does not provide any protection in the case of a malicious attack like ransom ware, so I need to step back and rethink the situation.

dmcmillen, Aug 17, 2022
Thema:

1. Backup Exec from Veritas not able to perform a GRT backup - Similar Threads - Backup Exec Veritas

2. Problems performing a File History backup.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems performing a File History backup.: Hi everyone. I never considered myself the sharpest blade in the drawer, but I can follow instructions fairly well. I'm attempting to do a 'simple' File History Backup on Windows 10 for the 1st time and just can't seem to get the hang of it. I'm using a SanDisk 32GB USB flash...
  3. Problems performing a File History backup.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems performing a File History backup.: Hi everyone. I never considered myself the sharpest blade in the drawer, but I can follow instructions fairly well. I'm attempting to do a 'simple' File History Backup on Windows 10 for the 1st time and just can't seem to get the hang of it. I'm using a SanDisk 32GB USB flash...
  4. Problems performing a File History backup.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. A few files from backup aren't restored from backup

A few files from backup aren't restored from backup: A few weeks ago I had to make a backup of my laptop, because I sent it in to be fixed. However when I restored my files from the back up, a few files I made 2-3 weeks before I sent my laptop in didnt show up, I did turn on ''show hidden items"/searched them by name in file...
  6. Backup Exec from Veritas not able to perform a GRT backup

Backup Exec from Veritas not able to perform a GRT backup: I've been going round and round with Veritas on why a Hyper-V Gen2 VHDX backended server cannot be backed up for GRT restores. For the last 5 weeks they've had me running logs to try to figure out why. All other virtual machines backup properly as well as the Hyper-V server...
  7. Not Able to Backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Not Able to Backup: I have been having a problem doing a backup which was never a problem in prior years. I have two 2021 versions of a backup program. With either program, the ending results are the same. Trying to do a full backup of a 512GB SSD with 208.86 GB Free to an External 2TB Hard...
  8. Cannot perform a backup on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot perform a backup on Windows 10: Every Day I click on "Backup now" and after a while the date of last backup changes indicating today's one. Yesterday I clicked on "Back now" then I read "I am backing up data" but after that the date remain at the previous Day. So I suppose backup is not working! How...
  9. Need 2TB of cheap cloud storage for my Veritas System Recovery backup

Need 2TB of cheap cloud storage for my Veritas System Recovery backup: I use Veritas System Recovery 18 to backup up the drives on my Win 10 system. I have incremental and full backup jobs for several drives that run at various times during the day. Right now I backup to an internal drive and to a usb attached sata drive. I would like to also...
  10. Reflect backup performance...

Reflect backup performance...: This one puzzles me... The PC has two Samsung 960 EVO 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 drives, one is for the system and the other for data. Reflect scheduled to create a full image on the daily basis with default compression and encrypted with the same password. The backup device is...