Windows 10: Backup fails with a 'device error' code 0x8078012D/disk read error

Discus and support Backup fails with a 'device error' code 0x8078012D/disk read error in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; During Windows backup, which wants to backup the 'C' drive and my games drive 'E' (for some reason), I get the following error message after the 'C'... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by rzn6jw, Dec 19, 2015.

1. rzn6jw Win User

Backup fails with a 'device error' code 0x8078012D/disk read error

During Windows backup, which wants to backup the 'C' drive and my games drive 'E' (for some reason), I get the following error message after the 'C' backup has completed but not the 'E':

'The backup operation that started at '‎2015‎-‎12‎-‎20T06:00:25.459859400Z' has failed with following error code '0x8078012D' (The operation failed due to a device error encountered with either the source or the destination. If the source or destination volume is on a disk, run CHKDSK /R on the source or destination volume, and then retry the operation.). Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.'

I ran CHKDSK \R and received several errors of the type: 'A disk read error occurred 0000185. The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters detected in file xxxxxx of name xxxxxx.'

My 'E' drive is 2TB with 205GB free. I really don't believe that the cluster(s) in error are bigger than 205G, but what do I know?

Anyone have experience with this problem?

Thanks.

:)

rzn6jw, Dec 19, 2015

2. Windows 10 error code 0x8078012d when trying to create System Image Copy

I get error code 0x8078012d when I am doing a System Image Copy in Windows 10. Use to work but now no go. I have run chkdsk with repair on both the source and target drives and both are OK. Backup will run for a while and then fails.

JohnMerritt_65, Dec 19, 2015
  3. glassrat1 Win User
    backup and restore

glassrat1, Dec 19, 2015
Thema:

Backup fails with a 'device error' code 0x8078012D/disk read error

1. Backup fails with a 'device error' code 0x8078012D/disk read error - Similar Threads - Backup fails 'device

2. failed to read description. error code 2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    failed to read description. error code 2: Yo, im trying to install a gstr offline utility in my laptop, the app is not operating in this system and it is showing failed to read description in the Services option in windows.i'm ready to share my screen and follow the instructions. kindly resolve my issue....
  3. Failed to Read Description. Error code: 2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failed to Read Description. Error code: 2: i open the services.msc and BFE <Failed to Read Description. Error code: 2 >. Is there any problem here? Please tell me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/failed-to-read-description-error-code-2/93d5a71d-e8b5-4bca-b1fb-14d9eaf717c3
  4. Failed to Read Description. Error code: 2

Failed to Read Description. Error code: 2: i open the services.msc and BFE <Failed to Read Description. Error code: 2 >. Is there any problem here? Please tell me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/failed-to-read-description-error-code-2/93d5a71d-e8b5-4bca-b1fb-14d9eaf717c3
  5. Disk reading error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk reading error: When I start my pc it says that there is a disk read error. How can I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-reading-error/ecb05ee0-c691-41ef-a23b-a56f5b3c2efe
  6. Disk reading error

Disk reading error: When I start my pc it says that there is a disk read error. How can I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-reading-error/ecb05ee0-c691-41ef-a23b-a56f5b3c2efe
  7. Backup Error 0x8078012D, The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

in Windows 10 News
    Backup Error 0x8078012D, The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error: When using the Windows Backup and Restore Tool in Windows10, if you receive the following Backup error message, then this post will be able to help you: The operation failed due to a device error encountered with either the source or destination, The request could not be...
  8. Disk read error.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk read error.: my laptop is jut displaying a screen sying that a disk read error has occured and i have to restart it by clicking on Alt, Ctrl, Del buttons. but its still not working when i press the buttons....
  9. Disk read errors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk read errors: Is Microsoft ever likely to read disks and handle read errors without taking for ever! It's NOT hard. I did this in the early '80s in assembler and I am not even a programmer. It was slow then using floppies and a read error could be taken care of in a few hundred...
  10. Back up failed, error code: 0x8078012D

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Back up failed, error code: 0x8078012D: Hello, I recently received a message on my laptop saying my Hard Drive was failing so I proceeded to buy a brand new external hard drive to back up all my files. When I am backing it up, it gets all the way to 97% and then it ends saying it wasn't successful with the Error...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. window 10 backup error 0x8078012D