Windows 10: Backup files to OneDrive without syncing

Discus and support Backup files to OneDrive without syncing in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello I want to back up my music collection from my D-drive. I have copied (drag & drop) my files from D: to OneD – that was easy, intuitive and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by 45RPM, Oct 13, 2017.

1. 45RPM Win User

Backup files to OneDrive without syncing

Hello
    I want to back up my music collection from my D-drive.
    I have copied (drag & drop) my files from D: to OneD – that was easy, intuitive and straight forward.
    However
    OneDrive is now trying synchronise my newly copied files back with my PC. It is not syncing with the original location (D-drive) it has now created extra directories in my C-drive (C:\users\myname\onedrive). In other words, it has created a third copy of my files.

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong.

I have searched on this forum and elsewhere, without luck.

Thanks

:)

45RPM, Oct 13, 2017

2. Trying to upgrade windows Vista to windows 10 having issues.

Glad to help. If you sign into Windows 10 using your MS Account, it will have your OneDrive folders there in Explorer for you to access your backup from within Windows 10. Then if you want to keep your files sync'd to OneDrive for backup purposes, or to
    sync to other PC's using this same method, you can do what I do and move your User folders to Onedrive.

This is written up in a small mini-tutorial I've shared with others for years without a single complaint:

Sync, Backup and Store your Files to the Cloud with OneDrive

Feel free to ask back any questions about this or anything else, and let us know how it's running.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Oct 13, 2017
  3. MarkSL59 Win User
    Backup on Windows Phone 8.1

My WP backup just started working yesterday, after over a month, without me having to do anything like deleting the existing backup in OneDrive, and the date on the Device Backup in OneDrive is showing the new date "22/04/2017" - I think Microsoft have
    just changed something on the OneDrive server, just as they did for the Office file sync / OneNote issue.

MarkSL59, Oct 13, 2017
  4. Backup files to OneDrive without syncing

Not exactly sure what your doing but you can turn sync off. Right click the One Drive Icon in the Notifications area, then select settings. Then click chose folders. Then either turn sync off at the top, or exclude a folder from syncing.

alphanumeric, Oct 13, 2017
  5. 45RPM Win User
    I'm trying to backup some music files and doing it all wrong.

Hello Alphanumeric
    I do thank you for responding and trying to help.
    I previously thought clicking on “OneDrive” in the left-hand pane in File Explorer would open up OneDrive on the server. I hadn’t realised to right-click on “View online”.
    The solution does seem so obvious now.
    I will mark this as answered.
    BTW, like your screenname.

45RPM, Oct 14, 2017
  6. Thanks, I use the same username on 8 and 7 forums. Keep in mind that OneDrive has limited storage, unless you bought more. I only get 5 gig with my personal OneDrive. Not near enough to upload my music collection. I get 1TB with my MVP Office 365 subscription but its a bit of a pain using it. It shows up as a separate OneDrive account. Its a business one drive account. Thus I have two icons in the notifications area, one for each account. The device I really want to use it with, my XBOX One, can't see it.

alphanumeric, Oct 14, 2017
  7. RolandJS Win User
    Making routine backups onto local external media is a great way to have backups of your online backups.

RolandJS, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Backup files to OneDrive without syncing

1. Backup files to OneDrive without syncing - Similar Threads - Backup files OneDrive

2. OneDrive File Syncing and Backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive File Syncing and Backup: Just set up a new Windows 11 laptop for a senior in a nearby retirement community. Copied all his data to the new machine. Signed into Onedrive and went to "choose folders" in settings. Desktop, Documents and Pictures were available to "check", but music was not. He has lots...
  3. OneDrive File Syncing and Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive File Syncing and Backup: Just set up a new Windows 11 laptop for a senior in a nearby retirement community. Copied all his data to the new machine. Signed into Onedrive and went to "choose folders" in settings. Desktop, Documents and Pictures were available to "check", but music was not. He has lots...
  4. OneDrive Syncing Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive Syncing Files: Hi all, I am wondering if there is a way to stop a group of files for a game from syncing and taking up space on my onedrive without just pausing it. The problem I have with pausing is that some of the files after their initial download are immediately putting some of...
  5. OneDrive deleted harddrive files during sync/backup

OneDrive deleted harddrive files during sync/backup: Hi, I wanted to backup my personal laptop files and decided to use my work 365 OneDrive account as had 1TB space availble. So I connected to this account and said backup bit it gave me no choice to select folders and onedrive locations and started uploading and combining...
  6. OneDrive Video on PC backup/sync

OneDrive Video on PC backup/sync: I have Windows 10. I have Office365 with OneDrive 1TB cloud storage. In OneDrive, you can select Desktop, Documents, and/or Pictures for automatic backup and sync. In File Explorer, under "This PC," I also have folders for Videos and Music. Why is there no selection in...
  7. OneDrive is not syncing files

OneDrive is not syncing files: Hi I am using a Toshiba Laptop running Windows 7, and an HP Eliteone 800 G3 All-in-one PC running Windows 10. I can see files in OneDrive on both the Laptop and the PC, however they are not the same files (there are more on the PC view than on the laptop view). Of those...
  8. onedrive file syncing

onedrive file syncing: i am unbale to select the folders that can be synced to me onedrive on my PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-file-syncing/f968e02e-90f5-4ae7-9b87-135de880fbac"
  9. Files not syncing to OneDrive

Files not syncing to OneDrive: I have recently run into some issues with my files that I edit on my Mac not syncing to my computer and overdrive.com account properly. I have chatted with Microsoft agents, let them remote control my computer, and still no help! The last agent even started a new OneDrive...
  10. recommendations for cloud backup and syncing -- OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    recommendations for cloud backup and syncing -- OneDrive?: I just got Windows 10. I've been using the cloud backup/folder syncing service Jungle Disk on Windows 7 for a while. I'm not very happy with Jungle Disk... no end of bugs and problems. Because Microsoft is pushing OneDrive so hard with Windows 10, I thought I would ask a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. backup to onedrive without sync

2. back hdd to onedrive without syncing

3. backup to onedrive script

4. set backup schedule for one drive,
  5. copy files to onedrive without synching,
  6. windows backup starigt to onedrive,
  7. back up on onedrive without syncing