Windows 10: Backup from old windows

Discus and support Backup from old windows in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently had my computer serviced and windows was changed from 7 to 10. All my music and such was backed up and placed in a folder on my desktop. Now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by paulanailon, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Backup from old windows

I recently had my computer serviced and windows was changed from 7 to 10. All my music and such was backed up and placed in a folder on my desktop. Now I don't know how to remove the items. Is there a simply solution to complete this task at my wits end.

:)

paulanailon, Sep 8, 2019
  2. Geekoid Win User

Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Sep 8, 2019
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Sep 8, 2019
  4. Bokenzhe Win User

Backup from old windows

Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

Question

• Backup from old windows [​IMG]

Applies to

5 views Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

My backup stubbornly refuses to run. I can't run the initial backup, therefore the file history backups don't run either. This has been an ongoing problem for quite some time. Suggestions I've received have not worked so far. Following is the problem
    and the failed resolution attempts:

• I get this message from the Event Log:

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID - 201

Level: Error

User - System

*** ---- There is no config file at this directory location. The contents of the location are:

catalog1

catalog2

config1

config2

• In another thread from July, someone suggested checking a particular service (I forget the name just now) is running. It is.

• Two days ago a Microsoft employee suggested the following steps. These steps resulted in no change, still no backup:

KA

Karthicka_R replied on

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to start and stop the services “Windows backup” and “volume shadow copy” and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+R” and in the run command box type “services. MSc”.
    • Search for the service “Windows Backup” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not, click on “OK” button. I suggest you to stop and start the service again.
    • Once done again search for the service “Volume shadow copy” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not. I suggest you to stop and start the service again, click on “OK” button and
      check whether you can perform backup successfully.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

• I performed these steps multiple times. The backup still crashes, with the same error message. In addition I collected the following error message, but only one time:

Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID: 200

• Can anyone help me with this stubborn problem?

Thank you in advance.

Bokenzhe, Sep 8, 2019
Thema:

Backup from old windows

1. Backup from old windows - Similar Threads - Backup old

2. Unable to restore Microsoft Authenticator backup due to old phone breaking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to restore Microsoft Authenticator backup due to old phone breaking: HelloI use Microsoft Authenticator for personal and business use. A water bottle leaked on the phone associated with this account, the damage caused the phone to break - it switched itself off, and will not turn on again. When trying to reinstall Authenticator on my new phone...
  3. Unable to restore Microsoft Authenticator backup due to old phone breaking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to restore Microsoft Authenticator backup due to old phone breaking: HelloI use Microsoft Authenticator for personal and business use. A water bottle leaked on the phone associated with this account, the damage caused the phone to break - it switched itself off, and will not turn on again. When trying to reinstall Authenticator on my new phone...
  4. Do I need to backup my old ssd to still have windows on my new ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do I need to backup my old ssd to still have windows on my new ssd: I am planning on upgrading my m.2 ssd from 512gb to 1000gb and if I install the new ssd without backing up will I still have windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-i-need-to-backup-my-old-ssd-to-still-have/d70a7ecc-554f-4da3-9271-bf5c8e8da0bf
  5. Do I need to backup my old ssd to still have windows on my new ssd

Do I need to backup my old ssd to still have windows on my new ssd: I am planning on upgrading my m.2 ssd from 512gb to 1000gb and if I install the new ssd without backing up will I still have windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-i-need-to-backup-my-old-ssd-to-still-have/d70a7ecc-554f-4da3-9271-bf5c8e8da0bf
  6. When I try to clean up old versions of file history backup I get the error message element...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I try to clean up old versions of file history backup I get the error message element...: When I try to clean up old backups on file history, I get the error message element not found. It won't let me clean up old backups older than 3 or 6 months. How do I fix this so that I can clean up my backup drive....
  7. When I try to clean up old versions of file history backup I get the error message element...

When I try to clean up old versions of file history backup I get the error message element...: When I try to clean up old backups on file history, I get the error message element not found. It won't let me clean up old backups older than 3 or 6 months. How do I fix this so that I can clean up my backup drive....
  8. How do I move my old File History Backup files from my old USB drive to a new USB drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I move my old File History Backup files from my old USB drive to a new USB drive?: Using File History Back up in Windows 10 I have been backing up my files to a 1TB external USB drive. It is full so I purchased a 5TB external USB drive.Using the 'Send To' function I moved the contents of the 1TB drive to the new 5TB drive.The Back Up folder on the 1TB drive...
  9. How do I move my old File History Backup files from my old USB drive to a new USB drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I move my old File History Backup files from my old USB drive to a new USB drive?: Using File History Back up in Windows 10 I have been backing up my files to a 1TB external USB drive. It is full so I purchased a 5TB external USB drive.Using the 'Send To' function I moved the contents of the 1TB drive to the new 5TB drive.The Back Up folder on the 1TB drive...
  10. How do I move my old File History Backup files from my old USB drive to a new USB drive?

Users found this page by searching for:

1. open backup from old windows 8 to a windows 10 computer