Windows 10: Backup image on Macrium rescue pen drive

Discus and support Backup image on Macrium rescue pen drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Whether partitioning of pen drive is required to keep backup image on Macrium rescue pen drive? 27742 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by sam9, Oct 25, 2015.

1. sam9 Win User

Backup image on Macrium rescue pen drive

Whether partitioning of pen drive is required to keep backup image on Macrium rescue pen drive?

:)

2. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Oct 25, 2015
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    Total Back-up

The type of backup you are talking about is generally known as an 'Image copy" backup. The idea is you take a "snapshot", or image, of your current computer setup. That way, if there is a problem you can use the backup program to restore your computer
    from this backup to a "known good point". You save this backup to an external drive, is USB drive or (in the past, no so much anymore) burn it to DVD-R disks.

There are a number of paid and free backup tools. Macrium is one of the free one (I have used it in the past).

MACRIUM REFLECT BACKUP

2017 09 05
    https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-re...

https://reflect.macrium.com/webtutorial/How_to_...

http://reflect.macrium.com/help/v5/how_to/rescu... - Create Rescue disk

Rohn007, Oct 25, 2015
  4. Gary Win User

No, just point MR To it and it should do the rest.

5. lx07 Win User
    You can keep your backup image on any drive that windows PE can see. Windows doesn't support partitioning of pen drives - it will only see the first partition so it wouldn't see partitions > 1 if you have partitioned it in another OS.

You could (I suppose) put both the backup and the rescue image on the same pen drive if you wanted to.

Once your rescue drive is made you can add anything you want but it all must be in the first partition. When you boot into MR recovery you would then see your backup image on the X drive.

6. sam9 Win User
    Thanks for the detailed and clear reply.

7. topgundcp Win User
    This is only half true. If you get a pen drive recognized as basic disk then can be treated it as a hard disk which will allow to create partition(s). see screen shot: Disk 6 & 7 both are 16GB Sandisk Cruzer, 6 recognized as Removable, 7 is basic.

Backup image on Macrium rescue pen drive [​IMG]

topgundcp, Oct 25, 2015
  8. sam9 Win User

Yes, I have read it somewhere to make pen drive a basic hard disk with third party software. What are the advantages viz disadvantages of making a pen drive a hard disk.

9. sam9 Win User
    Some more queries. 1. How much space on pen drive is required for rescue media?

Closing this thread as I made rescue pen drive and got answer to my query.

sam9, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Backup image on Macrium rescue pen drive - Similar Threads - Backup image Macrium

2. Macrium rescue media

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium rescue media: Hows everybody? I solved this in the past and cant recall exactly how I did it. The macrium rescue media tool cant detect the correct drivers for a usb 3.0 device. And this is win 7 era hardware. It says that winRE has built in support. Not. I had to install the drivers for...
  3. External backup drive not recognised in Macrium rescue environment

External backup drive not recognised in Macrium rescue environment: I'm hoping someone can help. I am using macrium reflect (the free version, ver 7.2 build 4971), which I like except for some problems. Unfortunately Macrium does not allow help for free version users in their support forum. so I posted here on 10forums last week, before I...
  4. Speed of Macrium backup using rescue media vs Macrium in win 10?

Speed of Macrium backup using rescue media vs Macrium in win 10?: I have done macrium reflect full backup in my windows 10 and it requires many hours to complete. Has anyone done a comparision of how much faster would it be if you do a macrium reflect full backup (whole windows 10 system and data) by using a rescue media vs doing a macrium...
  5. macrium rescue media

macrium rescue media: hi, I have installed a new external HDD for my backup image. Do I have to create a new rescue media? 113539
  6. Problem mounting Macrium backup image

Problem mounting Macrium backup image: My system is Windows 10 and I am running Macrium Reflect v6.3.1835 for backups. I have two partitions - one for the OS and one for Data and I have scheduled regular FULL backups of both partitions, which are written to an external HDD. I am having trouble trying to mount...
  7. Macrium Rescue Drive vs Windows Recovery Drive

Macrium Rescue Drive vs Windows Recovery Drive: Is there any reason for me to create a Windows recovery USB drive if I already have a Macrium Reflect rescue USB drive and a set of solid images? If anything goes wrong I can always restore an image, so I’m not sure what additional protections a Windows recover drive would...
  8. Macrium Reflect rescue USB drive failure

Macrium Reflect rescue USB drive failure: Macrium rescue USB stick doesn't find the Precision Touchpad, rescue media loads without the cursor, I can not use the CD as my laptop doesn't have the DVD drive, any help is much appreciated. 68296
  9. Macrium: Rescue Media

Macrium: Rescue Media: Having turned to Macrium for daily backups, I have created a Rescue Media DVD. When testing to see if it would boot (as Macrium advise). I was unable to choose which of the options offered was correct. Attached is a clip of my boot menu with the DVD in its tray. Oddly, the...
  10. Macrium Rescue Drive and Backup in same Thumb Drive

Macrium Rescue Drive and Backup in same Thumb Drive: I want to have Macrium Rescue and windows backup in one pendrive. If I create two partition in my pendrive, first for rescue and other for keeping backup, is it possible. Because windows only recognize the first primary partition of the pendrive. Sorry found the answer in...