Windows 10: Backup "No usable drives found"

Discus and support Backup "No usable drives found" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro, Insider Preview. Was checking my Backup and found it was not running. Has in the past and have an older File History on an external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cfourkays, Nov 17, 2018.

1. cfourkays Win User

Backup "No usable drives found"

Windows 10 Pro, Insider Preview.
    Was checking my Backup and found it was not running.
    Has in the past and have an older File History on an external drive.
    I want to create a new File History backup on a SSD, "D" on this PC.
    Go to "Add a Drive" in Settings, says "No usable drives found"

If I go to "File History" in search and "Restore your files with File History", the Home-File History" windows has "No File History found" "The File History is currently turned off"

Clicking on "Configure File History settings" the "Keep a History of your files", "File History is Off", "Turn On" appears for a second and disappears.

This is a new one for me.
    Attached snip of "This PC" showing the "D" drive I want to use.

Pete

Backup "No usable drives found" [​IMG]

:)

cfourkays, Nov 17, 2018

2. Windows 10 - No usable drives found. Cannot backup

For Settings/Update & Security/Backup, I clicked on switch backup drives or use a different backup drive or whatever it was to see what would happen
    because I was sure it would be easy enough to reconnect the same drive.

But ever since then, I get the message no usable drives found but only on this one account on this computer for that one drive. Backup works fine with the same drive on all the other accounts on the same computer or with different drives on the one account.
    And on this one account I tried all the suggested ways to connect that one external disk drive but I always get no usable drives found. The drive shows up on file explorer and windows 7 back-up works fine, and I can get all the files or store files with no
    problem. Only Windows 10 backup does not work and always shows no usable drives when I try to reconnect.

kernelcorny, Nov 17, 2018
  3. jgerb_637 Win User
    Seagate expansion not usable as backup drive

I have a seagate expansion drive I want to use as a backup drive on Windows 10 1803. When I go to settings>update and security>backup and select 'add a drive', windows says no usable drives found. I already have content on this drive. It displays in file
    explorer. I can use it as storage, however, backup does not deem this drive as usable for this purpose. I have restarted and reinstalled the device through device manager.

Why doesn't windows recognize my drive as a usable drive?

jgerb_637, Nov 17, 2018
  4. jgerb_637 Win User

Seagate expansion not usable as backup drive

Awesome! I was surprised at first it wasn't listed as a usable drive. Thanks so much for quick response!

jgerb_637, Nov 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Backup "No usable drives found" - Similar Threads - Backup usable drives

2. Backup "No usable drives found"

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup "No usable drives found": Windows 10 Pro, Insider Preview. Was checking my Backup and found it was not running. Has in the past and have an older File History on an external drive. I want to create a new File History backup on a SSD, "D" on this PC. Go to "Add a Drive" in Settings, says "No usable...
  3. Seagate expansion not usable as backup drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Seagate expansion not usable as backup drive: I have a seagate expansion drive I want to use as a backup drive on Windows 10 1803. When I go to settings>update and security>backup and select 'add a drive', windows says no usable drives found. I already have content on this drive. It displays in file explorer. I can use...
  4. Backup to an external drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup to an external drive.: How do I connect my networked computer to my router connected usb hard drive for backing up my data? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/backup-to-an-external-drive/7b876cf8-b372-4ffa-b599-0fbc5c0b1109
  5. Backup of System drive.

Backup of System drive.: I hope this is the right forum for this question which is to do with backing up Windows 10. I have recently purchased a new laptop which came with Windows 8 and a 1TB hard drive which I partitioned into two - one for the OS (Drive C) and the other for data (Drive F). The...
  6. Trying to use the Backup feature but "No usable drives found"

Trying to use the Backup feature but "No usable drives found": I have a fairly new Seagate 3TB USB3.0 drive that I've been using as a data backup on my desktop. I've been just copying stuff over to the drive once a month or so, but decided that I may as well use the backup feature in windows 10. However, I'm running into an issue....
  7. Backup to Flash Drive

Backup to Flash Drive: I am experimenting backing up my personal documents on to a flash drive (no moving parts) rather than an external hard drive but I'm facing a problem creating folders on the flash drive. Say my computer is called XYZ, the external hard drive allows me to create folders, like...
  8. Backup Add a drive

Backup Add a drive: Jan. 3rd 2016 I have a 931 GB external HDD using a brick power supply and connected by USB. I wish to do weekly backups to it via Start/Settings/Update & Security/Backup. How can I use it please? It is not listed when I click Add a drive, although I can see and read it...
  9. Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit, 7.93gb RAM Usable, 16gb Found?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit, 7.93gb RAM Usable, 16gb Found?: Hello everyone, I am at a loss here with my new desktop as to why Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) is currently only allowing me to use half of my RAM. Due to a fried CPU I rebuilt this computer with some good parts: CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 Motherboard: ASUS H97 Plus RAM: 16gb...
  10. Drive C: not found on reboot

in Windows 10 Support
    Drive C: not found on reboot: Hi My PC seems to be developing a problem whereby I'm working on it and something happens that makes me feel I need to reboot. This could be anything but NOT games - I don't play games at all (unless you call doing jigsaws playing a game). Since I am retired I just use my...