Windows 10: Backup of Users folder seen as system folder post Win10 clean install

Discus and support Backup of Users folder seen as system folder post Win10 clean install in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi All, I've recently setup a clean install of Win10 onto a new system. Prior to this I backed up my 'Users' folder from the old setup (also Win10)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Neilos101, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Neilos101 Win User

Backup of Users folder seen as system folder post Win10 clean install

Hi All,
    I've recently setup a clean install of Win10 onto a new system.
    Prior to this I backed up my 'Users' folder from the old setup (also Win10) onto my d:\ drive, on a second HDD.
    Now that the system is up and running, I've noticed that the backup 'Users' folder is being 'seen' by Win10 as a system folder, resulting in my inability to rename it etc.
    Searching for a newly created document that is located in 'My documents' on c:\drive results in it being called up as existing in:
    c:\users\neil\documents (where it actually lives)
    d:\users\neil\my documents
    d:\documents and settings\neil\documents

How best can I disassociate the d:\drive backup 'Users' folder from my system folders ?
    Thanks for the assistance.
    Cheers, Neil

:)

Neilos101, Sep 22, 2016
  2. Monkey57 Win User

Should I create a systen repair CD and a recovery drive??

If you want to know the quickest way to guarantee a safe, secure, and stable system -> I will be glad to assist. I am a big proponent of backups. And for home users the Microsoft FileHistory and OneDrive do a fine job; easily manageable by most users.

A Win10 Clean install is very fast, and for incremental recovery of data with FileHistory (file/folder revision history) it's a few seconds to restore a file - to what ever the the amount of data and max speed of the harddrive will support.

SunWukong57

[Part of the post that's not relevant to the thread was removed]

Monkey57, Sep 22, 2016
  3. Delete user folder after restore from 7 to Win10

I recently restored a full backup made on a Win7 machine into a folder called "win7files" on my Win10 machine

This folder was created on my Win10 machine under a user folder called "jut" (the user name on the Win7 machine)

After moving what I want to other folders on my Win10 machine, can I safely delete the whole user folder "jut" which contains the "win7files" way down in a directory structure

When I look at users under my Win10 machine it does not show "jut" as a user

arthurjutan, Sep 22, 2016
Thema:

Backup of Users folder seen as system folder post Win10 clean install

1. Backup of Users folder seen as system folder post Win10 clean install - Similar Threads - Backup Users folder

2. How to unmerge documents folder from User/Win10 folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to unmerge documents folder from User/Win10 folder?: I was moving around my documents folder and I accidentally merged my User/Win10 with the documents folder And when I try to move the Documents folder It says that I cant redirect a parent into a child Can you please help me I really don't understand much from this. I want the...
  3. Network Computer - Windows Account is not seen in Users folder

Network Computer - Windows Account is not seen in Users folder: I have 2 Windows 10 Pro computers: - one is Surface Pro version 2004 Microsoft Windows Account - one is Dell Venue Pro version 20H2 Local Windows Account When accessing either computer on the network, the "Users" folder does not show the user's account. For example: The...
  4. Network Computer - Local User Account is not seen in Users folder

Network Computer - Local User Account is not seen in Users folder: I have 2 Windows 10 Pro computers: - one is Surface Pro version 2004 - one is Dell Venue Pro version 20H2 When accessing either computer on the network, the "Users" folder does not show the user's local account. For example: The account "hjhop" is not seen. Same thing...
  5. Access user folders for information backup.

in Windows 10 Support
    Access user folders for information backup.: It is necessary to open this folder for possible backup of information on this disk, click continue to access the files on your disk. type: hard disktoshiba1tb It is taking longer than normal to load. How else can I access these folders. Please thanks [img] 156699
  6. Clean SSD install (Users folders remain on HDD) - help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean SSD install (Users folders remain on HDD) - help: My desktop has an old SSD (Win10 boot and applications) and HDD for Users files / data. I am replacing the old SSD with a new one and will do a clean install of Windows10 Home 64bit and all applications. I will keep my existing Users files data on the HDD. 2 questions:...
  7. User folder says it is a backup

User folder says it is a backup: Hi, my user folder on my D: drive says it is a backup and when I click on it, it asks if I want to restore from that folder. When I look at what files are in it, it seems to only be a backup of my C: drive. I can still access all of my files by using the quick access on the...
  8. Post Win10 Upgrade - need to Clean Install and Move User Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Post Win10 Upgrade - need to Clean Install and Move User Folders: This is my first post and I figured I'd start in this forum, and apologize if I've chosen incorrectly. Here is my issue: Recently my Windows 7 Ultimate machine upgraded itself to Windows 10 with no input from me. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how that happened...
  9. After clean install, "Users/Media" folder named incorrectly

After clean install, "Users/Media" folder named incorrectly: I had a problem before the holidays which this group identified correctly as long-term corruption and I solved the issue with a clean 10 install. All now great except...I had to go into the Users/Media path to replace a saved Chrome history file and noticed that the...
  10. Changed user folder name on clean install

Changed user folder name on clean install: Hi Has anyone else had the clean option, drop the last character of their user folder during the install? Example, my user folder was called Julian on 8.1 Therefore c:\Users\Julian\Desktop blah blah blah.... Well now its c:\users\julia\xxxxxxx Somewhat annoying......