Windows 10: Backup of your NAS boxes

Discus and support Backup of your NAS boxes in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi there A lot of people here back up to NAS boxes -- but remember These CAN fail as well (or at least an HDD can). So I do suggest that you actually... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jimbo45, Apr 6, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Backup of your NAS boxes

Hi there
    A lot of people here back up to NAS boxes -- but remember These CAN fail as well (or at least an HDD can).
    So I do suggest that you actually backup the stuff on your NAS from time to time -- you might NEVER need it but who knows.

NAS boxes (or things like Micro servers) are quite cheap these days -- re-installing music, re-ripping CD's and DVD's and possibly re-torrenting (assuming the stuff is still seeded any more) isn't worth the hassle.

I now have a Backup Box -- once a week I simply just copy the HDD's from NAS1 to NAS 2 --- job done.

I'd advise people to start thinking of things like this -- Backup is always good but you do need more than one copy. Don't rely 100% on your NAS box thinking you are 100% safe -- you probably will be but you never know.

Again re-creating data if you have this sort of failure might not be a problem - also if you have your stuff stored in the Cloud but if you've got several TB of music, and video then the Cloud won't be a feasable backup mechanism.

I'm actually not a big fan of commercial music streaming services or commercial digital downloads-- quality too low etc. I like High end FLAC rips of SACD's or even standard CD's - especially classical music. Things like Spotify are OK for PUB Background music or music listened to with cheap bud earphones but not for decent music listening.

For Video -- streaming is fine but I often like to watch stuff again and a lot of streaming services only make it available for a certain period and riddle content with DRM so I choose to keep my own.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 6, 2016

2. 0x807800C5 error when doing a backup to a Synology external hard drive.

I'm afraid that is not the answer.

I am trying to back up a single partition hard drive (Windows 10) to a NAS box.

Every time I see "Check your backup: There was a failure in PREPARING the backup image of one of the volumes in the backup set. Details: The requested operation could not be completed due to a virtual disk limitation. Virtual hard disk files must be uncompressed
    and unencrypted and must not be sparse. Error code 0x807800C5.

The process is not getting as far as the NAS drive. It is failing at the preparation stage.

I've rebooted everything. I've deleted the old Windows 7 image as suggested earlier. I've even moved all the files off the NAS and reformatted the RAID. But as the process doesn't finish creating the image this all seems a bit academic.

Please help. It all worked fine in Win7. Win10 just doesn't seem to work very well. I'm considering rolling this laptop back to Win7, at least the backup worked properly there.

Lawrence Allwright, Apr 6, 2016
  3. theking2 Win User
    Force File History from BitLocker device to NAS

After I enabled BitLocker on my C-Drive File History refuses to make backups to my NAS. The NAS is Linux based and apparently FH doesn't do backups from a BL-protected drive to a destination where it can't be sure if it is protected.

How do I force File History to backup to a NAS?

theking2, Apr 6, 2016
Thema:

Backup of your NAS boxes

1. Backup of your NAS boxes - Similar Threads - Backup NAS boxes

2. One drive on NAS box

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One drive on NAS box: I have a number of questions that I can't find answers too and would appreciate some help:-1. Can I have two OneDrive sessions open at the same time eg home and work?2. Can I link/install OneDrive to a folder on a NAS?3. Can OneDrive be shared with multiple people? 4. If I...
  3. unable to connect to fritz box NAS

unable to connect to fritz box NAS: I have a problem that has just recently raised it´s ugly head here it is Restoring Network Connections An error occured while reconnecting to \\Fritz-nas\fritz.nas microsoft windows network: Not enough memory resources are available to process command I have did the...
  4. QNAP NAS invisible to Backup Centre

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    QNAP NAS invisible to Backup Centre: Would appreciate assistance with this matter... The W10 (1909) Backup & Restore facility doesn't 'see' my connected QNAP NAS. The NAS doesn't show when I browse to look for a network location on which to backup. Worked fine under W7. And I can't remember the exact NAS file...
  5. New ransomware attacks target your NAS devices, backup storage

in Windows 10 News
    New ransomware attacks target your NAS devices, backup storage: The number of ransomware strains targeting NAS and backup storage devices is growing, with users "unprepared" for the threat, researchers say. Ransomware comes in many forms and guises. The malware variant is popular with cybercriminals and is used in attacks against the...
  6. Best Backup for NAS drives?

Best Backup for NAS drives?: Hi, Would anyone recommend a good Cloud Backup for my NAS drives, Synology DS218J NAS 16TB and WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra NAS 8TB both on RAID1 (HOME) setups but am looking for a online backup incase off theft or any other problems? I'm using about 2-4TB at the moment. Thanks...
  7. File History and backup to a NAS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History and backup to a NAS: I have been trying to use file history in Windows 10 to back up to my NAS. It works to backup everything but the documents which it refuses to do unless an alteration has been made to the document. I have looked at other advice on the community pages and everything suggested...
  8. Backup to NAS

Backup to NAS: Hello! I want to save my Windows backup to my NAS but i am running access to it without credentials, and that dosnt work for Windows Backup. The backup feature wants credentials but i dont have any. Typing Guest/Guest dosnt work, it just says i need full permission but i...
  9. VM's on headless NAS box (Microserver)

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VM's on headless NAS box (Microserver): Hi there. provided there's enough "oomph" in your NAS box or microserver running a couple or even a few more VM's on these can be a great idea - especially if you only need to access files, do backups and run a few apps like OFFICE and some possibly corporate apps. To...
  10. Macrium Free - backup on Nas fail

Macrium Free - backup on Nas fail: Hi guys, if I run a backup on an external usb 3.0 hard drive, Macrium Free create the image of the system drive, but if I scheduled (or manually run) the same backup on a network folder (a raid0 hard drive usb enclosure connected to the usb 3.0 port of my Asus DSL-AC68U...