Windows 10: Backup old computer and restore onto new computer

Discus and support Backup old computer and restore onto new computer in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; A friend of mine smashed his all-in-on PC with Windows 10 Home and asked me to make a backup of his data and later restore the data onto his new PC. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by desertman, Oct 24, 2018.

1. desertman Win User

Backup old computer and restore onto new computer

A friend of mine smashed his all-in-on PC with Windows 10 Home and asked me to make a backup of his data and later restore the data onto his new PC. I have basically two questions about this:

1.) How do I do the backup best? Can this be done with Windows' own backup feature, or is it better to use a third-party application for that (which one)?

2.) Is it later possible to restore everything (desktop, documents, applications, settings, email accounts and emails) or is that basically with Windows not possible? Is something like EaseUS Todo PCTrans a good applications for such a task?

I'm asking this because I am mainly a Mac person where such a task would be easy but I remember that at least in the past this kind of data transfer was not easy or even not possible with Windows.

Thanks for your help!

:)

desertman, Oct 24, 2018

2. Restore backup files on new computer.

My old computer will not restart after an update. Ive tried all things on the web. It won’t reset! It won’t restore. It won’t reboot. I was able to backup files to an external hard drive, however i cant seem to restore them to new computer. How do you
    do this. System restore doesnt see the files from new computer.

Windmilltr, Oct 24, 2018
  3. Rey Cam Win User
    Having trouble restoring from a windows 10 backup to a new computer

Hi Tim,

You can restore files from a backup from another computer by following the steps below:

• Select the Start button, then select Control Panel >
      System and Maintenance > Backup and Restore.
    • Choose Select another backup to restore files from, and then follow the steps in the wizard. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

This files will be restored in a folder having the "Username" of the one who created the file. To find the restored files:

• Select the Start button, then select Computer.
    • Double-click the icon of the drive that the files are saved on, for example
      C:\.
    • Double-click the Users folder. You will see a folder for each user account.
    • Double-click the folder for the user name that was used to create the backup. The restored files will be in the various folders based on where they were located originally.

After performing the steps, kindly share with us the result.

Rey Cam, Oct 24, 2018
  4. Backup old computer and restore onto new computer

Restoring a backup to a different computer

I think your reply answers my question. If I remember correctly, I think my backup has a system image, which can screw my previous installation. Now, I am thinking of doing this

• creating a backup of my work computer
    • restoring the backup of my previous computer
    • recovering files
    • restoring the backup of my work computer

parkerhaag, Oct 24, 2018
Thema:

Backup old computer and restore onto new computer

1. Backup old computer and restore onto new computer - Similar Threads - Backup old computer

2. How to restore old windows calendar on new computer??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to restore old windows calendar on new computer??: How do i restore the old windows calendar on new computer??FYI::: choosing APPS: the sub-topic starts a M nothing previous to click... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-restore-old-windows-calendar-on-new/436c872f-c911-4905-b691-9301bcec761a
  3. restore files onto a new computer with file history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    restore files onto a new computer with file history: how do I restore files onto a new computer from file history on an external back-up disc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-files-onto-a-new-computer-with-file/cbe9de9d-8ac2-4174-83b7-cfe07ea4a85d
  4. restore files onto a new computer with file history

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    restore files onto a new computer with file history: how do I restore files onto a new computer from file history on an external back-up disc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-files-onto-a-new-computer-with-file/cbe9de9d-8ac2-4174-83b7-cfe07ea4a85d
  5. restore files onto a new computer with file history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Backup Old Computer to Brand New One.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup Old Computer to Brand New One.: HP Slimline Desktop 410-010 (Energy Star.) Operating System was Windows Home 10 v. 1809 It was fully loaded with Software. Windows 10 1809 64 I had a spare computer which I'm using now. hp pavilion Desk Top P7-1410, its working pretty well. Operating system is Windows 8.1...
  7. restore a backup from old computer to a new one - both windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    restore a backup from old computer to a new one - both windows 10: how do i restore a backup from my old computer to my new one - backup files are on an SD card https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-a-backup-from-old-computer-to-a-new-one/ba22eb2a-e6c7-4b39-8fe1-931b7ea2b786
  8. Restoring an old backup

Restoring an old backup: in 2009 I backed up my wife's data onto discs before she got rid of her laptop. I now want to restore the data to my Windows 10 laptop but cannot find any software. Any ideas please....
  9. Restoring Windows 10 file backup to new computer

Restoring Windows 10 file backup to new computer: I had issues with an old computer acting bad. So while it was still working, I set up File Backups within Windows 10 so it would be continuously be backing up. Then I decommissioned the computer, did a reset, and starting using a different computer, which I had also reset....
  10. Restoring from File History created on old computer to a new computer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Restoring from File History created on old computer to a new computer: I'm thinking this should be easy, but it isn't turning out that way. Computer A is dying, has a current File History. I am setting up Computer B and I want to use File History on B to restore from A. Instead, B can't see A's File History and just insists on creating its...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to load a backup from old computer to new computer

2. restore backup to new laptop

3. load old pc back up onto new pc windows 10