Windows 10: Backup only new or changed files?

Discus and support Backup only new or changed files? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; As I understand it, Windows 10 backup writes every file from every folder you select to the backup drive. Is there any option, or other backup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by dsttexas, Jun 4, 2016.

1. dsttexas Win User

Backup only new or changed files?

As I understand it, Windows 10 backup writes every file from every folder you select to the backup drive. Is there any option, or other backup software, that uses the file status bit (if that's what it's called) to only backup those files that are new, or changed, since the last backup?

My objective is have an external drive that is essentially an updated version of my internal drive, but not to create complete backup sets of everything - and therefore taking much longer to backup, as well as using up external drive space much faster, and having to delete past complete backup sets.

Thanks!
    Don

:)

dsttexas, Jun 4, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Does Windows Backup Start A Completely New File System Every Time?

Hi Keifer, Initially Windows backup will backup all your files and there after create incremental backups - backup only the files that have been created or changed

Windows Backup will add new or changed information to your subsequent backups.

If you're saving your backups on a hard drive, Windows Backup will create a new, full backup for you automatically when required

DaveM121, Jun 4, 2016
  3. garym123 Win User
    Make a back up from my Mobile 8.1 on my laptop Windows 10

Adding or replacing a SIM just changes the provider and does not require a new backup.

Your phone will continue to do auto backups to your OneDrive as before.

The only thing you need to backup to the PC is documents, videos, pictures and music. These are not part of phone backup.

garym123, Jun 4, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Jun 4, 2016
  5. dsttexas Win User
    I found nothing in the linked video on File History that answers my question. My past use of Win 10 backup has always created a new backup set equal in size to the last one, and telling me not enough space on backup drive to complete. So I had to delete the prior backup set and start again. 2TB backup drive, and 900GB backup set. I am backing up a primary external drive, also 2TB in size with about 900GB on it. Hence my belief it is coping all files, not just new ones or changed ones, which would only be about 10-20MB in size.

I could not find any similar explanation on how FreeFileSync handles their copies.

dsttexas, Jun 4, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you wanted to do. What you want is called incremental backup. Macrium Reflect Free offers that function:

Macrium Reflect Free

NavyLCDR, Jun 4, 2016
  7. dsttexas Win User
    Bingo! That's what I want. Setup under way. THANKS

dsttexas, Jun 5, 2016
  8. Backup only new or changed files?

In order to copy only changed files in a folder or a directory I personally use GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise. It copies all the files, folders, directories in any way you desire to. Be it either copying modified files only or keeping the time-stamp same as the source file etc. some of the additional features, like task scheduling & email notification on task completion, of this software makes any kind of data related task pretty enjoyable and easy. Even the UI is so easy to understand the you will not need to opt for any modifications to get your job done.It is easy for people for people with less technical knowledge and less experience with complex computers software . this software is a complete rescue package. hope this might be helpful

qwertyuiopasdf, May 27, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    Thread is a year old!

cereberus, May 27, 2017
  10. Stevekir Win User
    NavyLCDR said in post 2:
    Windows 10 File History:
    How to use Windows 10's File History backup feature | PCWorld

-or-

Free File Sync:
    FreeFileSync - Free Backup and File Synchronization Software
    In my experience File History will not copy all files. It refuses to copy any files with special characters in their names such as &amp, . (a full stop other than just before the file type), etc. Furthermore, it does not tell you. I discovered by checking, and confirmed their absence by looking at File History's log. When I deleted the offending characters File History did then copy them.

It is unforgivable for such a software to fail to alert the user about such an important thing.
    dsttexas said in post 3:

I could not find any similar explanation on how FreeFileSync handles their copies.
    Free File Syne will copy (backup) only changed files if it is set to "Mirror" (and also perhaps with some other settings). It is very reliable and easy to use.

Stevekir, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Backup only new or changed files? - Similar Threads - Backup changed files

2. transfering a backup image to a new replacement drive that is only formatted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    transfering a backup image to a new replacement drive that is only formatted: I own a dell 15-3567 laptop that has a defective hard drive.i received a replacement drive that has only been formatted.I have ths windows 10 media creation tool on a flash and the image on a wd external drive that is complete with original image and incrimental backups that...
  3. transfering a backup image to a new replacement drive that is only formatted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    transfering a backup image to a new replacement drive that is only formatted: I own a dell 15-3567 laptop that has a defective hard drive.i received a replacement drive that has only been formatted.I have ths windows 10 media creation tool on a flash and the image on a wd external drive that is complete with original image and incrimental backups that...
  4. transfering a backup image to a new replacement drive that is only formatted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Reason no "auto backup of new files only" exists?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reason no "auto backup of new files only" exists?: I am trying to back up my laptop to an external drive, and am finding that to do so the backup runs FOREVER... over 21,000 files. There does not seem to be a way to only backup files that have changed..... and I think I may know the reason? Is this because Microsoft expects...
  6. How to copy only new files

in Windows 10 Support
    How to copy only new files: I have two large folders and I need to copy only modified and new files from source to target folder, is there a way to do that with explorer in windows 10 ? or with a free tool ? 150621
  7. Change the backup drive for File History

Change the backup drive for File History: I'd like to change the backup drive for File History. How can I stop File History on the older physical drive and start File History on a new physical drive?...
  8. File History - can't change the backup destination G - new passport is D

File History - can't change the backup destination G - new passport is D: I'm trying to do a backup of my new Thinkpad on a new Passport but can't change the destination G on the program.....Win 10 has designated the D for this necessary project....
  9. cant't backup files to a new external drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cant't backup files to a new external drive: I have a laptop with Windows 10 and am running out of disk space. I bought 2 Seagate external drives ( 2 separate occasions) and after once or twice my computer no longer recognized the drives. I returned them on 2 separate occasions. I then bought a WD external drive...
  10. Change file explorer only, to white??

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change file explorer only, to white??: After the latest 'big' update, how do I get the file explorer windows (This PC folders, etc) to stay white? If I select the dark theme, it changes everything to black. I only want the Windows settings window to remain dark/black... 119034