Windows 10: Backup Options: Lists of Folders to backup or exclude

Discus and support Backup Options: Lists of Folders to backup or exclude in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Settings - Backup Options has lists of folders to back up and folders to exclude. I want NOTHING in either list. But all I can do is ADD to those... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by WP51 user even now, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Backup Options: Lists of Folders to backup or exclude

Settings - Backup Options has lists of folders to back up and folders to exclude. I want NOTHING in either list. But all I can do is ADD to those lists. If I add a folder to EXCLUDE, it goes off backup and appears in EXCLUDE. But that's NOT what I want. I just want to delete all folder names from those lists. There doesn't seem to be a way to delete a listed folder. What am I missing? Thanks.

:)

WP51 user even now, Dec 14, 2018
  2. Kadeo26 Win User

How to exclude certain folders for backup

AFAIK, this longstanding issue is still waiting to be addressed by Microsoft.

This dialog may help you with the "exclude" element of the issue but, regrettably, not with the cumulative backup element:

Vincenzo Carbone replied on
    September 17, 2015

I had the same problem, and I solved in this way:

Control Panel -> System and Security-> File History -> Turn off

Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup -> More options -> Stop using this drive

Delete the File History folder in your external drive.

Start using File History again.

After these steps, I can add folders to "Excluded Folders" and they remain excluded. I checked in the actual files and folders saved on the external disk, and it works. So I guess it is important to click "Stop using this drive".

Hope this can help you.

replied on
    September 17, 2015

Hi Vincenzo

I have followed that procedure and it worked for me on the first new backup

I will now try a second backup

The second backup excluded the requested folders as specified

On subsequent test backups:

I also had to delete the File History folder for any folder that I removed from the exclusion list using the classic dialog otherwise File History kept backing it up

I had to use the modern dialog to add a folder to File History backup

So far, so good

File History won't exclude folders

Kadeo26, Dec 14, 2018
  3. How to exclude certain folders for backup

I'm afraid Sayan didn't take the time to really read the question and I have the same issue.

I know how to set up folders to be backed up and I understand the directions for excluding folders. The issue is that Windows 10 doesn't seem to recognize when I've excluded folders and continues to back up music and photo files that overwhelm my hard drive.
    When I browse and select a particular folder under the "Exclude Folder" option, the selected folder isn't listed.

But, if I open the advanced options and drill down to see excluded folders, I can see those I've selected to exclude. Nevertheless, those folders are included in the next backup. (Not only are they included, but every file in the folders is backed up numerous
    times.)

Sliderule2b, Dec 14, 2018
  4. TCW88 Win User

Backup Options: Lists of Folders to backup or exclude

Backup options

I am trying to remove folders from the Backup options, but everytime I do, when I go back the folders are back in the list. I have also excluded them as well but the setting are not being saved. Anyone can help with this?

TCW88, Dec 14, 2018
Thema:

Backup Options: Lists of Folders to backup or exclude

1. Backup Options: Lists of Folders to backup or exclude - Similar Threads - Backup Options Lists

2. Exclude Folder from Onedrive backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Exclude Folder from Onedrive backup: Hi, as a gamer I have several files stored within the My Documents/My Games directory, these are not required for backup but are needed on local. In previous versions of one drive, such as that answered here...
  3. Exclude Folder from Onedrive backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Exclude Folder from Onedrive backup: Hi, as a gamer I have several files stored within the My Documents/My Games directory, these are not required for backup but are needed on local. In previous versions of one drive, such as that answered here...
  4. Exclude Folder from Onedrive backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Backup Options

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup Options: I am a long term Mac user and just switched to a Windows 10 machine. I have to say that Windows has come a long way! I need some help in choosing the best way for backing up my system.From my reading, the Windows 10 offers two types of backup: file history and system image....
  6. how to exclude one folder from backup in a folder backup by onedrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to exclude one folder from backup in a folder backup by onedrive: when i unsync one folder in a folder synced by onedrivestupid onedrive delete it from my pc, super high-hand microsoft **** tactics, no wonder people hated microsoftso how do i exclude one folder from backup in a folder that is synced to onedrivewhy delete my pc copy when i...
  7. Backup and Restore - Exclude drive from system image backup

Backup and Restore - Exclude drive from system image backup: Hello, I have a quick question about "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" feature on Windows 10. I set up a backup months ago to include a system image and some personal data and everything worked fine. I notice this backup feature tried to backup my game dedicated drive...
  8. Backup Options

Backup Options: Good day all! Is anyone knows how to manage the windows 10 backup options bypassing the Microsoft default setting? Windows 10 Backup has no longer given the options to chose which drive / partitions or folders to backup as part of a full-backup. It gives the option to add...
  9. Backup Options

in Windows 10 Customization
    Backup Options: When I set Back up options to Daily and keep my backups until "space is needed", updates to foles I've changed are added, yet the old on is still there. How can I just back up the new file over the original one saved? Are there any options for that?...
  10. Backup Options?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup Options?: Hi, How do you guys and girls, backup your data? I just got this, hoping it wasn't a mistake - WD 8 TB My Cloud EX2 Ultra Network Attached Storage - Black (WDBVBZ0080JCH-EESN). Thanks 97184