Windows 10: Backup Options

Discus and support Backup Options in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When I set Back up options to Daily and keep my backups until "space is needed", updates to foles I've changed are added, yet the old on is still... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by TomGresko, Dec 5, 2018.

1. TomGresko Win User

Backup Options

When I set Back up options to Daily and keep my backups until "space is needed", updates to foles I've changed are added, yet the old on is still there. How can I just back up the new file over the original one saved? Are there any options for that?

:)

TomGresko, Dec 5, 2018
  2. Meghana C Win User

issue with backup options Windows 10

Hi David,

I will certainly help with the issue you are facing with backup option.

To assist you better, kindly provide the information:

• How exactly are you trying to perform back up? Is it from the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) or File History?

• Which drive have you selected to back up? Is it an external drive or a network drive or a local drive of the system?

• When you say 'only allows me to do another backup with the same options', which options are you referring to?

• Are you unable to select a different drive for a backup from the backup destination list?
    If you are using a Backup and Restore (Windows 7) option then, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Type backup and restore in the search bar and press enter.

• Click on setup backup option.

• Click on refresh button to check if the drives are visible in the
      backup destination list.

• Choose the drive which you want to back up and click on
      next.
    If you are trying to use file history I suggest you to un-plug it and restart your computer. Re-plug the external drive and check if the file history options are available.

Please get back to us with the information to assist you further.

Thank you.

Meghana C, Dec 5, 2018
  3. Geekoid Win User
    Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Dec 5, 2018
  4. Backup Options

Backup using file history

Thanks Robeline

I was going by other advice and articles that suggest that backing up under Update and security/backup is now the way to go. I will try your suggestion.

Doug

DougWalsh1, Dec 5, 2018
Thema:

Backup Options

1. Backup Options - Similar Threads - Backup Options

2. Can't access Windows Backup app and Backup options and Windows backup in Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access Windows Backup app and Backup options and Windows backup in Settings: Hello.I'm using Windows 11 Pro and can't access Windows Backup app and Backup options and Windows backup in Settings. They're crashing. I tried it in Safe mode also. In Event Viewer I got this:Faulting application name: SystemSettings.exe, version: 10.0.22621.2792, time...
  3. Can't access Windows Backup app and Backup options and Windows backup in Settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access Windows Backup app and Backup options and Windows backup in Settings: Hello.I'm using Windows 11 Pro and can't access Windows Backup app and Backup options and Windows backup in Settings. They're crashing. I tried it in Safe mode also. In Event Viewer I got this:Faulting application name: SystemSettings.exe, version: 10.0.22621.2792, time...
  4. Recovery and Backup Options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery and Backup Options: System image over recovery drive or BOTH along with file history? From what I understand a recovery drive is system data and you will lose installed apps & personal data files. System image will cover everything, the entire drive/disk, correct? I just updated my USB Recovery...
  5. Recovery and Backup Options

Recovery and Backup Options: System image over recovery drive or BOTH along with file history? From what I understand a recovery drive is system data and you will lose installed apps & personal data files. System image will cover everything, the entire drive/disk, correct? I just updated my USB Recovery...
  6. win11 Stop using drive option for FileHistory backup disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win11 Stop using drive option for FileHistory backup disappeared: I used win10 before and made disk as my backup drive. In recent days, the drive is broke up so it's disconnected.When I was in window10, I can click Stop using the drive to remove it, but in win 11, I couldn't find the option like win10 as below....
  7. win11 Stop using drive option for FileHistory backup disappeared

win11 Stop using drive option for FileHistory backup disappeared: I used win10 before and made disk as my backup drive. In recent days, the drive is broke up so it's disconnected.When I was in window10, I can click Stop using the drive to remove it, but in win 11, I couldn't find the option like win10 as below....
  8. Mapped drives not showing up under backup options anymore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mapped drives not showing up under backup options anymore: I have mapped 2 drives from my house PC to my laptop. I have full access to the drives and they work just fine: However, when i go to settings, backup, and it asks to select a drive, it USED to see my mapped drives, and now it shows "no drives available" If i put in a usb...
  9. Mapped drives not showing up under backup options anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mapped drives not showing up under backup options anymore: I have mapped 2 drives from my house PC to my laptop. I have full access to the drives and they work just fine: However, when i go to settings, backup, and it asks to select a drive, it USED to see my mapped drives, and now it shows "no drives available" If i put in a usb...
  10. Mapped drives not showing up under backup options anymore