Windows 10: Backup problems with Casper & Macrium...

Discus and support Backup problems with Casper & Macrium... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have recently added a second SSD to my Dell Optiplex 5050 which I want to use to backup my C drive. Previously I’ve used Casper on my old XP... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by taid, Oct 23, 2018.

1. taid Win User

Backup problems with Casper & Macrium...

I have recently added a second SSD to my Dell Optiplex 5050 which I want to use to backup my C drive.

Previously I’ve used Casper on my old XP machine to clone the C drive and it has worked well but I have never run it on this Windows 10 machine until I installed the second SSD. Casper initially appears to run but fails within seconds with the error:-

“The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error while trying to process the specified operation. (0x8004230F)”

As Macrium appears to be well thought of on this Forum I downloaded Macrium Free but on running it I get the same error message… As I get the same error with both Casper and Macrium I presume the error is Windows 10 related…

Having done a bit of Googling I have checked that Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider and Volume Shadow Copy are both running. They were set to Manual, I did change them both to Automatic but that made no difference. I have checked for viruses/malware (Defender,MalwareBytes,ESET and ADW) and all is clear although I did have a couple of PUP’s but they have been removed… I have also run SFC and DISM and all appears quite normal. I’ve also found that System Restore is not working, returning an 0x81000203 error.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Backup problems with Casper & Macrium... [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Oct 23, 2018
  3. Steve C Win User
    Need Serious Help: How To Record Video of What is Done on my PC?

I suggest the following simple steps:

1. Set the autosave options in MS Office to a low value say 5 minutes.
    2. Setup file history to autosave frequently - the shortest period is 5 mins
    3. Install Macrium Reflect Free and configure it to do a daily incremental system backup

You should be well covered if you do the above to protect your key files.

Steve C, Oct 23, 2018
  4. dalchina Win User

Cannot backup to Macrium Reflect Free

Did you follow the preceding step in the doct?
    Solution

To fix this problem take the following steps:

1. Uninstall ShadowProtect
    2. Remove the registry key:
      [table][tr][td]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\Providers\{24602736-bed9-4619-91b0-243447c6409c}.[/td] [/tr] [/table]
    3. Restart Windows.

Have you then merged the reg file, then restarted?

dalchina, Oct 23, 2018
Thema:

1. Backup problems with Casper & Macrium... - Similar Threads - Backup problems Casper

2. Modified Macrium backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Modified Macrium backup: Dell Inspiron 15 5565, Win 10 Home I want to create a Mactium backup, but it's going to be huge unless I can properly modify it. I tried to use a USB with 28gb free space as the destination, but it wasn't enough [img] My first question is can I just image the first 4...
  3. macrium backup failed

macrium backup failed: hello all after months of doing a image backup , today my marcium backup failed , i have tried several times to do a backup, and a [img] [img] reboot ( before i do the 1809 ) update any suggestions welcomed 123956
  4. Backup problems with Casper & Macrium...

Backup problems with Casper & Macrium...: I have recently added a second SSD to my Dell Optiplex 5050 which I want to use to backup my C drive. Previously I’ve used Casper on my old XP machine to clone the C drive and it has worked well but I have never run it on this Windows 10 machine until I installed the second...
  5. Question on Macrium backups

Question on Macrium backups: Thanks for thinking about answering my question! I currently have the following backup plan for my laptop - full backup on Sunday, then Differential every other day of the week. So in the case of a failure, I just have to restore the Sunday Full and the latest Differential...
  6. Macrium Backup error

Macrium Backup error: I was getting system hanging problem in my windows 10 for quite a days (my system is dual boot with two hard disk, one XP and other Windows 10). I already have macrium backup image but I tried to take a new backup of my windows 10 system drives with the free version from...
  7. Problem mounting Macrium backup image

Problem mounting Macrium backup image: My system is Windows 10 and I am running Macrium Reflect v6.3.1835 for backups. I have two partitions - one for the OS and one for Data and I have scheduled regular FULL backups of both partitions, which are written to an external HDD. I am having trouble trying to mount...
  8. Macrium installation & backup

Macrium installation & backup: Hello Forum, An hour ago I installed Macrium, after instl. it made (burned) a rescue dvd. I am trying to make my first backup to the system, but first I want to consult with my 'teachers', After installation please see screenshot "macrium - 01.jpg", there are 2 disks, C:...
  9. Backup & Restore with Macrium

Backup & Restore with Macrium: Hello, Thanks for the answers. Searching I found this long explanation which made me more confused http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/201...-way-with.html and I have lot of questions since, 1. Have one full instl. file "reflect_setup_free_x86(6.1.1081).exe size 39.502...
  10. Macrium backup

Macrium backup: I have made a backup of my hard drive from my old computer with macruim reflect. It is a backup of a few installed applications and software packages but more importantly it is a copy of windows 10 professional with digital entitlement. I plan to buy a new laptop and am...